Neptune help

a.madruga

It’s funny that you ask who the captain is. Holland America no longer provides that information (photo, name and short bio) in the daily program and so when we got on the ship today I saw the hotel director, Simon Tanner. I actually asked him if he was the captain. He explained that he was not and I told him that I was just wondering who the captain was since now there is no way of knowing who the captain is. He told me that it is on the in-room televisions. My husband and I came back to the cabin and we’ve looked at every drop-down menu available and we still cannot find out where it tells us who the captain is. I am including that question in my letter to him about the lack of reading material in Neptune Lounge.

Thank you for your response. IF you are interested re: who is Captain, ask the conierige. Ridiculous to have to jump through hoops to know the name of the Master. What is the big secret, HAL? Guests have a reasaonabel expectation to be told the Captain's name.

is 5:30 PM. This was originally the all-aboard time. The captain just came on and said that there would be an hour needed in order to assess underwater to see if there was any damage. They do not expect to find any. Then they will need another hour for something else. Anyway, I am sure everything is fine and that we will just depart late (and maybe have less time tomorrow in Puerto Chiapas - no big loss!). I checked the cabanas on deck 11 and they are intact.

Will you be having life boat drill before dinner?

Hopefully, the ship will float easily off the sand bar and the divers will report no hull damage.

Wishing all safe sailing.

LadyVol,

On the ships I have been on there is a big screen in the atrium area. It shows where the ship is going but you can also click something that says along the lines "who are the officers". I could have the wrong wording, but it shows you the officers as well as key people on board.

Just in case it helps.

Edited by kazu

The captain just reported that there are only paint scratches on the hull of the Nieuw Amsterdam. All is well!

kazu - Thanks for the info on an atrium big screen. I’ll go down to Deck 1 to look for it.

The captain just reported that there are only paint scratches on the hull of the Nieuw Amsterdam. All is well!

kazu - Thanks for the info on an atrium big screen. I’ll go down to Deck 1 to look for it.

Good news on the ship. You will be off in no time.

I can't remember which level it is on your ship - but the atrium should have it - if not, ask the front desk.

After my many days on HAL, I only discovered it a couple of cruises ago, when someone kindly pointed it out to me.

I didn't realize the options were there:eek::)

Good news on the ship. You will be off in no time.

I can't remember which level it is on your ship - but the atrium should have it - if not, ask the front desk.

After my many days on HAL, I only discovered it a couple of cruises ago, when someone kindly pointed it out to me.

I didn't realize the options were there:eek::)

I’m pretty sure it is on level 2 just by the mid-ship elevators. If you’re walking the main hall from the PG toward the QL, it will be to your left just beside the elevators.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing next month and will be in a Neptune Suite for the second time. The first time we didn't do breakfast in The Pinnacle because we didn't know it was a perk of being in a suite. This time we intend to take advantage of it. My question is, is it basically drop in for breakfast when you're ready for it? Is the menu very big? I'm not a big breakfast eater, but husband enjoys a bigger breakfast. Also any one know the times it's open? We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sailing next month and will be in a Neptune Suite for the second time. The first time we didn't do breakfast in The Pinnacle because we didn't know it was a perk of being in a suite. This time we intend to take advantage of it. My question is, is it basically drop in for breakfast when you're ready for it? Is the menu very big? I'm not a big breakfast eater, but husband enjoys a bigger breakfast. Also any one know the times it's open? We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Thanks.

Drop-in has always been my habit, although at about the same time each day. The only time it's somewhat busy is on port days, as most diners are on similar schedules.

You'll get the same breakfast menu as in the MDR, but with servers covering far less ground. The same top-shelf servers that work the PG for dinner also handle breakfast and the Neptune Lounge food set-up. They work tough hours, but do a great job.

My question is, is it basically drop in for breakfast when you're ready for it? Is the menu very big? I'm not a big breakfast eater, but husband enjoys a bigger breakfast. Also any one know the times it's open?

The Pinnacle Grill is open seating for suite breakfast during the same times as the main dining room. Check your daily program for hours.

The menu is exactly the same as the main dining room, so you can have as little as you like while your husband has more.

The atmosphere and service are different.

There is usually a letter in the Neptune Suite stateroom stating the times the Pinnacle Grill is open for breakfast.

When you are ready, just go to the PG. The first morning they will check that you are eligible to eat breakfast there. (We have seen folk not eligible turned away).

Hope you have a fabulous cruise.

On my current Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, we did not receive a letter indicating the times of the various food offerings in Neptune lounge or regarding Pinnacle Grill breakfast. I had to ask the suite concierges for the various times that the food was going to be in the Neptune Lounge (like how long the breakfast items would be placed out for consumption). They said no Neptune Lounge informational letters were being given out anymore.

I sent a letter to the hotel director on October 10 asking about the “non-library status” of Neptune Lounge. I will keep you posted.

As an aside, this morning we are docked in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. Yesterday we were notified that a cargo ship somehow damaged the cruise ship pier so we are going to be shuttled 15 minutes to the cruise ship pier. You just never know what is going to happen on a cruise! The port side people are operating the shuttle and it will start 30 minutes after we arrive and will stop 30 minutes prior to all aboard time. Flexibility is the key!!

On my current Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, we did not receive a letter indicating the times of the various food offerings in Neptune lounge or regarding Pinnacle Grill breakfast. I had to ask the suite concierges for the various times that the food was going to be in the Neptune Lounge (like how long the breakfast items would be placed out for consumption). They said no Neptune Lounge informational letters were being given out anymore.

I sent a letter to the hotel director on October 10 asking about the “non-library status” of Neptune Lounge. I will keep you posted.

As an aside, this morning we are docked in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. Yesterday we were notified that a cargo ship somehow damaged the cruise ship pier so we are going to be shuttled 15 minutes to the cruise ship pier. You just never know what is going to happen on a cruise! The port side people are operating the shuttle and it will start 30 minutes after we arrive and will stop 30 minutes prior to all aboard time. Flexibility is the key!!

Sorrry t o hear about neded the use off a shuttle inGua tamala, but at least you got to call at the port. Have fun.

Would you kindly share wih us if you redeive a response from Hotel director? Who is the HOTel Director on your cruise?

Enjoy..... and thanks for the updated information re: your cruise.

Would you kindly share wih us if you redeive a response from Hotel director? Who is the HOTel Director on your cruise?

The Hotel Director is Simon Tanner. I haven’t cruised with him before. Yes, I’ll share the response to my letter.

I just had a 15 minute meeting with the Guest Relations Manager, Rencel Recto. This is what she told me:

The information on the ships’ officers is not being displayed anywhere on the ship. Corporate is trying to figure out how to make an enhancement to the information going forward. (???)

The magazines in the Neptune Lounge are trying to be made identical fleetwide. This causes issues when a ship is in Asia or South America and can’t find English language magazines that are on a fleetwide list. Therefore, guest relations corporate is trying to figure this out. (You and I know that we don’t care what English language magazines are in the Neptune Lounge. However, corporate obviously thinks they need to be identical on every single Holland America ship. Oh brother.)

She does not know if paperbacks, travel guide books or coffee table books will ever be returned to the Neptune Lounge. She just kept talking about “enhancements” being made and guest relations corporate is trying to figure it out.

I asked her to please give me a list of the senior staff and their titles and names on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I also asked her to notify guest relations corporate to take the word “library” out of the online Neptune Lounge description so the false advertising is stopped. She agreed to do both things.

I got the sense during this meeting that she does not know what guest relations corporate is going to do about any of these issues. She repeatedly stated that they are trying to make “enhancements”. The quotation marks are mine since I don’t consider any of these to be “enhancements”! Goodbye from sunny Guatemala.

I just had a 15 minute meeting with the Guest Relations Manager, Rencel Recto. This is what she told me:

The information on the ships’ officers is not being displayed anywhere on the ship. Corporate is trying to figure out how to make an enhancement to the information going forward. (???)

The magazines in the Neptune Lounge are trying to be made identical fleetwide. This causes issues when a ship is in Asia or South America and can’t find English language magazines that are on a fleetwide list. Therefore, guest relations corporate is trying to figure this out. (You and I know that we don’t care what English language magazines are in the Neptune Lounge. However, corporate obviously thinks they need to be identical on every single Holland America ship. Oh brother.)

She does not know if paperbacks, travel guide books or coffee table books will ever be returned to the Neptune Lounge. She just kept talking about “enhancements” being made and guest relations corporate is trying to figure it out.

I asked her to please give me a list of the senior staff and their titles and names on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I also asked her to notify guest relations corporate to take the word “library” out of the online Neptune Lounge description so the false advertising is stopped. She agreed to do both things.

I got the sense during this meeting that she does not know what guest relations corporate is going to do about any of these issues. She repeatedly stated that they are trying to make “enhancements”. The quotation marks are mine since I don’t consider any of these to be “enhancements”! Goodbye from sunny Guatemala.

I am at a loss for words - other than....OMG.:eek::rolleyes::confused:

You and me both!!!! I was flabbergasted but did not try to explain/argue/discuss it with her.....

One thing I forgot to note in my post above is that she was meeting with me on behalf of the letter I sent to the Hotel Director. I guess my Neptune Lounge library question as well as my question about the ship’s officers’ information did not warrant the Hotel Director meeting with me. Whatever. I give up!!!

Thank you for reporting your meeting.

Like Kazu am at a loss for words.

Hope you will make appropriate comments on the post cruise survey.

Guess that is another saving of paper!

How hard can it be to ensure that "O" magazine receives a place of honor in every Neptune Lounge across the fleet ;p That's their master plan, isn't it? And every book in the library will be Oprah approved!!!

She just kept talking about “enhancements” being made and guest relations corporate is trying to figure it out.

She must be listening to Orlando Ashford motivational audio tapes in her sleep ;p

Stay tuned in folks ... this crowd isn't done changing things yet !