2 weeks come and gone, 3 weeks now come and gone, 3 weeks to go

ChiefMike

Amazing NCL has yet to follow up. I've read so many postings on cruises months after mine already changed, peoples mixed reactions, mostly positive. But also seeing many people due to sail on the Gem starting Oct 31 and have no idea what is going on with our trips.

How a public held company can do this to their guests is beyond me. NCL was the one that said "We expect having this information to you within the next two weeks as new ports of call are secured." three weeks ago. Many postings on here from others on the Gem have had phone conversations with NCL with all different answers from whom ever they spoke to. "We will inform you by Thursday" "Call your Travel Agent" "Waiting on one last port to confirm" "Expect to hear from us tomorrow"I cannot cancel or risk losing way too much money, I cannot book any excursions since I have no idea where we're going, can't book restaurants on days I know I'll be at sea, no idea if the clothing we've been purchasing will be adequate for the direction we'll be traveling.NCL is showing total disregard for passengers on this ship, and possibly others that may also still be waiting that are due to sail very soon. There is no clear path of communication to its booked passengers and they should be accountable in some fashion.

If I didn't pay my final payment by the date they specified I would be without a cruise and possibly my deposit. :mad:

While I am not on ether of these cruises, I think they still haven't decided what they are going to do. Reports are that they will be able to call at both San Juan and St. Thomas, but have to miss SXM, and Tortola. I would not be surprised if they added one sea day and a stop at either Nassau or GSC.

We are on the NCL GEM as well and it is very frustrating not to know what is going on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just want to know that I am going somewhere. So many people on here have said they think they will cancel the cruise due to lack of ports. I just want know that is not what is happening!

I feel your pain! We are on right after you nov 11 and still nothing!! I am beyond frustrated!!! All I do is check my email 1000 times a day!!

Smong I thought I was the only one checking my email so much you made me laugh so hard thanks I needed that. I'm on the Gem 11/21/17 and just very curious to know where are we going as well!!!

Smong I thought I was the only one checking my email so much you made me laugh so hard thanks I needed that. I'm on the Gem 11/21/17 and just very curious to know where are we going as well!!!

Happy I gave you a laugh! It is comical at this point. I feel like I am losing my mind!😳

Smong, Im on Nov. 12 out of SJ. They ARE sailing. NO doubt, it is revenue and they will NOT cancel. Ports are Martinique, st. Kitts, Barbados, exchanged St. Thomas and St Martin for Antiqua and St. Croix. uhmmmm, St. Croix is a MESS with a CAt. 5 going over it. I was told when calling NCL and asking about why there, was told "a good spa day". Red Cross still removing people from the island as of last week. Water is good, no power as of last week. Hoping the best for the people , just cant understand why we are docking here. Maybe we get a great surprise once there and all is better. NOT !!! My sister worked for FEMA & got a call from them. SJ isn't as up to par as lead to believe. Asking why we are still going there? Because NCL insists we board ship there or loose all our money.......We will make the best of it. Bought transfers to ship through NCL instead of taxi that i can't be sure is up and going. Still have gas issues. She should know, as she's connected with FEMA. Hotels are on generators, ours cancelled, FEMA workers are using rooms. So change airfare to fly in same day. The whole thing has been a mess. Thank you Maria.

It is odd that they have cancelled sju and stt for the jade on cruises thru February and all the other ports that weren't affected as well but it is OK for the gem to keep their schedule several months earlier! I don't get it. I also know that carnival is stating old San Juan is good to go right now for tourists. Good luck!

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

It is odd that they have cancelled sju and stt for the jade on cruises thru February and all the other ports that weren't affected as well but it is OK for the gem to keep their schedule several months earlier! I don't get it. I also know that carnival is stating old San Juan is good to go right now for tourists. Good luck!

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Who said the Gem is keeping their schedule?? We still have no clue where we are going!

We leave on the Gem but not til Feb 24th. Was told today by Irvin, personal cruise consultant, that he got word directly from VP stating our itinerary is intact and that the islands would be ready for us. Those being San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas and St. Marten. There would not be any revised ports. While I realize Feb is a ways away and many things may be able to be repaired in that time frame, just not sure now is the time to visit there. Wondering why cruises after our date are already revised. Wondering if this is just another. bit of lip service.

We leave on the Gem but not til Feb 24th. Was told today by Irvin, personal cruise consultant, that he got word directly from VP stating our itinerary is intact and that the islands would be ready for us. Those being San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas and St. Marten. There would not be any revised ports. While I realize Feb is a ways away and many things may be able to be repaired in that time frame, just not sure now is the time to visit there. Wondering why cruises after our date are already revised. Wondering if this is just another. bit of lip service.

I spoke to mine last week and he said they get told nothing...that I would know before he did about changes...

Yep, I am on the Nov 3rd Dawn sailing. No itinerary revisions. I am already upset that I had to revise my flight and leave San juan the day we disembark (both hotel reservations cancelled).

I am now flying to Fort Lauderdale and staying there for 3 nights before flying back to Chicago.

But now, there are rumours that we might dock in St Thomas and St Maarten?

Great - just where I want to be on vacation. What are we supposed to do there?

After 45 cruises (only 3 with NCL), I will not be bringing my business back to them. There is no reason we should not have a revised itinerary by now.

I agree with you DonnaJo. I don't want to go to devastated islands for my honeymoon. I understand they need the money but if they don't have any excursions or things are closed, it's going to SUCK. I really wish we could get a full refund. I would have cancelled by now so we could actually PLAN our honeymoon instead of being at NCL's mercy. I already have a cruise booked next year and it's NOT with NCL.

While I am not on ether of these cruises, I think they still haven't decided what they are going to do. Reports are that they will be able to call at both San Juan and St. Thomas, but have to miss SXM, and Tortola. I would not be surprised if they added one sea day and a stop at either Nassau or GSC.

For sure they don't know yet.

News the other night showed Puerto Rico. What I saw makes me believe the reports are simply incorrect. Things looked VERY bad there. January cruises are passing on San Juan, so I don't hold much hope for getting there on my Dec. 12 Gem.

It is apparent they are having problems finding viable substitute ports. If we end up somewhere I would not have booked myself, that might just put me off cruising enough to cancel next years cruises, and look at land options (even though I HATE flying).

I have been on 45 cruises (only 3 with NCL) My next four are already booked and they are not with NCL. I am not saying that the other cruiselines have handled things much better. I realize the hurricanes are no ones fault, but to just not give us a revised itinerary 3 weeks before we sail is ridiculous. I also spent additional $$ rearranging my flights so that I leave the day we dockin San Juan, fly to FLL, and then after 3 days there fly home. I have vacation time that I have to take or I lose it. Don't feel like sitting home in Chicago. Again, my choice, not asking for reimbursement, but c'mon can I have an itinerary please? LOL

Again, From a FEMA working there in SJ: While docks are up to board a cruise ship, SJ is NOT ready for visitors per say. Hotels are being filled with relief workers and will be for MONTHS. Some still sleeping on floors due to no hotel rooms. Gas is still iffy for taxis although they ARE working some. Limited flights in and out of airport and why Jet Blue moved our returning flight 6 hours earlier. While electric IS up and running In parts of SJ, most hotels are still using generators. Grids are off and on i'm told BUT they ARE working on it. SJ is coming back, but it is NOT ready for us meander about expecting hotels, stores and cafes to be plentiful. FEMA workers are using hotels, eating at the open cafes, and going to CVS, and grocery stores that are open now. ST. Thomas nor St. Maarten will NOT be ready for 3000 cruisers for months on end and perhaps a year, Along with St. Croix that I got notice we ARE docking. It's still a MESS down there. California is now getting the "news" and why we don't see this. This is coming from a FEMA worker that is there NOW. We can fly in, board the ship and go where the line takes us if we can't cancel. Me? If i could, i'd cancel, and rebook later, but that's MY take on it. The ports NCL rebooked are ok to visit, but from what i'm told from FEMA sister, St. Croix isn't ready for us and won't be for months. It's devastated along with 5 other islands down there. I have paid my final, so we have no choice but to loose 4000 bucks total or go on and make the best of what we have. I DO know the frustration all are having by not knowing.......I'm frustrated they didn't just allow me to rebook. Out of my control.......Also FORGET Tortola for 6 months. It's one the worst hit. I realize as time goes by and work is being done, things change. But i was TOLD, straight to the ship, don't expect service mid-Nov. as usual, as you are there with 16,000 aid workers competing for the commodities being brought ashore. We could get there and see otherwise but i'm taking her advice for now.

Edited by goehoe

Again, From a FEMA working there in SJ: While docks are up to board a cruise ship, SJ is NOT ready for visitors per say. Hotels are being filled with relief workers and will be for MONTHS. Some still sleeping on floors due to no hotel rooms. Gas is still iffy for taxis although they ARE working some. Limited flights in and out of airport and why Jet Blue moved our returning flight 6 hours earlier. While electric IS up and running In parts of SJ, most hotels are still using generators. Grids are off and on i'm told BUT they ARE working on it. SJ is coming back, but it is NOT ready for us meander about expecting hotels, stores and cafes to be plentiful. FEMA workers are using hotels, eating at the open cafes, and going to CVS, and grocery stores that are open now. ST. Thomas nor St. Maarten will NOT be ready for 3000 cruisers for months on end and perhaps a year, Along with St. Croix that I got notice we ARE docking. It's still a MESS down there. California is now getting the "news" and why we don't see this. This is coming from a FEMA worker that is there NOW. We can fly in, board the ship and go where the line takes us if we can't cancel. Me? If i could, i'd cancel, and rebook later, but that's MY take on it. The ports NCL rebooked are ok to visit, but from what i'm told from FEMA sister, St. Croix isn't ready for us and won't be for months. It's devastated along with 5 other islands down there. I have paid my final, so we have no choice but to loose 4000 bucks total or go on and make the best of what we have. I DO know the frustration all are having by not knowing.......I'm frustrated they didn't just allow me to rebook. Out of my control.......Also FORGET Tortola for 6 months. It's one the worst hit. I realize as time goes by and work is being done, things change. But i was TOLD, straight to the ship, don't expect service mid-Nov. as usual, as you are there with 16,000 aid workers competing for the commodities being brought ashore. We could get there and see otherwise but i'm taking her advice for now.

Thanks for that info. When I saw P.R. on the news the other night, it looked awful.

You are welcome. I'm Not playing games with this. Only passing direct info from a FEMA worker in SJ NOW. I'm sure there is a hotel somewhere but we decided not to chance re-booking , getting there to find it not suitable. We change airfare to fly in same day as sailing. We can revisit SJ once things are more stable. Personally, and i only speak for myself, husband and i would only be "in the way" of the workers at this time. Hope things work out well with all the cruisers.

So for some reason NCL emailed my TA about my itinerary change instead of me. Saw a few people posting yesterday they received an email so since they emailed me 3 weeks ago I figured mine should be on the way. Then hours went by so started wondering if they are emailing from on board on of the ships with the "no-speed Wi-Fi" but no, they sent to my TA and then had to track her down to see if this was so.

She was bogged down because now they are expecting her to review all clients booked on NCL Gem for the period of 10/31 - 12/23, unbelievable...

For those that may not have gotten it and went through a TA this was what she forwarded to me:

Date: 10/11/2017

Subject: Important Information from Norwegian Cruise Line: N. Gem 10/31 to 12/23 sailings

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We appreciate your patience while we continue to work with our partners on the ground to determine the best way to continue to provide relief to the areas impacted by and recovering from Hurricane Irma and to determine the extent of damage that Hurricane Irma inflicted. We understand you are anxious for your new itinerary and we are working to confirm port availability with our partners on the ground. We anticipate having this information to you within the next week as new ports of call are secured.

We appreciate your patience during this time. At Norwegian Cruise Line safety of our guest, crew and ships is our number one priority and we hope you understand that these changes are necessary.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services