What unusual ports would you like to see in the Med?

bennybear

So many smal, formerly special, ports have been damaged by their "discovery" by cruise lines - who then sold to their customers the myth that they can "experience" this places - as part of a mob of several thousand passengers determined to get the "feel" of them in a few hours.

The more special (in any way) a small, possibly remote, place is, the more certainly it will be damaged beyond recognition by invasion of cruise ships.

There are a few places I have seen - in the Mediterranean and elsewhere - which I hope to see again --- but because I hope to see again that which made them special to me , the last thing I want to do is see cruise lines "offer" them to their customers.

The Prinsendam is going to Israel in 2018 to Haifa for 2 days. In 2019, they will spend three days in Israel. Two days in Haifa and 1 day in Ashdod. They are also doing Crete and Cyprus on the same 2019 cruise.

The Prinsendam went to Thessaloniki, Volos, Limnos, Rhodes, Durres, Bari, Korula, Koper (Slovenia), Ravenna, Alicante in 2016. For the more unusual ports, you might look at the Prinsendam's cruises.

For example I saw Ceuta, Alghero, Porterraio, Ponza and Alicante listed for 2019 on the Prinsendam.

Unfortunately, none of the HAL's other small ships are doing the season in the Med. It looks like all of HAL's larger ships are what they are are using. And neither the Rotterdam or the Veendam are doing the TA in October to the Med from Ft Lauderdale.

We love the Mediterranean also. And I wish that HAL would use its smaller ships to visit some of the more unusual ports. In fact, I don't think the Prinsendam should go to very many of the same ports that are on the itinerary of their bigger ships except for turn around days.

Edited by Storylady

Glad this thread got brought to the top again as I somehow missed it first time around....

I love sailing with Voyages to Antiquity specifically because they offer so many ports that are not often found on the itinerary of larger ships/mass market lines. Some of the delightful ports I've visited on their ship include:

Croatia: Zadar

Albania: Sarande (before everyone else went there)

Greece: Ithaca, Skiathos, Monemvasia, Thessaloniki, Kavala, Thessaloniki

Turkey: Canakkale, Tasucu, Antakya, Antalya

Cyprus: Limassol

Tunisia: Tunis, Sousse

Morocco: Casablanca, Tangiers

Egypt: Safaga, Sharm-el-Sheikh

Unlikely to be featured again anytime soon: Beirut, Tartus and Latakia (Syria)

Still trying to get to: Algeria, Libya

This is a good list. Libya apparently has some excellent historic sites.

Agree 100% about Cyprus. That island is quite safe for tourists. Also, why is there no love for Israel from HAL? What about the Port of Ashdod for either Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

ChinaShrek, I agree!! There is so much to see in both Ashdod & Cypress! In 1993, while on the Cunard Princess, we docked in Cypress and there was a crewmember who served as "T Shirt Police." My ex had a souvenir T shirt of Turkey on and was asked to not wear it so as not to offend anyone. Good thing it was a small ship as he didn't have to "pack a lunch" to go back and change!

The Prinsendam is going to Israel in 2018 to Haifa for 2 days. In 2019, they will spend three days in Israel. Two days in Haifa and 1 day in Ashdod. They are also doing Crete and Cyprus on the same 2019 cruise.

Yes, HAL goes to Israel sporadically. Even when everything is on an even keel there (pun intended), ships tend not to stop in the heat of the summer, which is overwhelming. Unfortunately that is the "heart" of the Med season. Look for cruises off-season -- I visited Israel (stops in Haifa and Ashdod) on Westerdam a few years back, but it was in October.

From reading posts on other cruise line boards here (and on the Mid-East forum), it seems many people are spooked about visiting Israel. Any little dust-up and they start questioning the safety of the ship going there -- and cabins stop selling. I suspect that's another reason lines don't always call there.

To truly see Israel, though, it's best to see it by land. Too many tough choices when you only have a couple of days....

Cruise Mom, thanks! I will have to check out voyages of antiquity, sounds like great ports. The Greek ports you have visited sound like our upcoming Greek land trip. That whole northern region is very appealing, I can’t wait to see Meteora.

Storylady, I have been wondering why there aren’t more cruises in the med, the smaller ships would be a great idea. Seems everything is in Alaska!

Lots of great suggestions, like the idea of Cyprus, Alicante and Valencia too. Israel would be wonderful. Don’t need to ruin anywhere, but surely some different ports would be good.

Love visiting Israel, several trips there both land and sea. (Of course, a 1 month Land trip - mainly on our own, was the best way to visit if you really want to get involved, see, learn.

Ashdod IS the the port for Tel Aviv. You can also get to Jerusalem from there but most of the Jerusalem tours on our cruises seem to go from Haifa.

As we all know (or probably should know), cruise ship stops/non-stops are frequently politically driven - particularly in terms of safety. For now, I suspect that cruise ship stops in Israel are not going to happen. Until when - ????? who knows.

Malta IS back!! We stayed there for 2 days with the Westerdam last month--chose that itinerary specifically to get to Malta again.. But it's now "discovered"--there were FIVE ships in port...

On our very first cruise, Malta was our last port. My art teacher wife made us go to a Church that featured a painting The Beheading of St. John by Caraveggio (probably spelled incorrectly). It was the most disgusting painting I have ever seen!

We did a neat itinerary in September, Rome to Barcelona,visiting Ajaccio, Almeria, Sete, Cueta, and Villefrenche (substitute for St Tropez). Got to see some real life, not just tourist traps. Loved all the local markets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Villefranche is great!Small enough that you can walk most of it-and in a couple of hours,too.