San Gervasio and ???

TravelinGert

We are trying to work out what we'd like to do for our upcoming cruise shore excursion at Cozumel. We have never seen Mayan ruins so our first thought was the Tulum excursion offered via MSC. We can get cheap flights to Cozumel pretty often, though, so we thought we might go with San Gervasio plus some other Cozumel fun. Wondering can we just head over to San Gervasio straight off the ship via Taxi then perhaps go to one of these Mexican cooking classes I've heard about?

You can hire a taxi by the hour to provide a tour of the island, or set up a tour in advance through Black Hat or other tour companies based on Coz. The east side of the island is beautiful with some funky bars and worth your time - San Gervasio is IMHO disappointing, but your results may vary.

You can hire a taxi by the hour to provide a tour of the island, or set up a tour in advance through Black Hat or other tour companies based on Coz. The east side of the island is beautiful with some funky bars and worth your time - San Gervasio is IMHO disappointing, but your results may vary.

So, in your opinion, San Gervasio probably isn't worth the trip? I've been going back and forth on this one, because of the cab fare and bugs.

So, in your opinion, San Gervasio probably isn't worth the trip? I've been going back and forth on this one, because of the cab fare and bugs.

Certainly not a "must-do" on first time visit to Cozumel. It will be disappointing compared to mainland ruins but we enjoyed it all the same combined with a ride round the east side. Small main plaza and then enjoyable walk through the jungle to some outlying ruins, if you are up to the walk. Definitely bring bug spray and water and understand that you are charged the entrance fee in two small amounts. You can hire a guide inside, or do a self-guided walk.

Certainly not a "must-do" on first time visit to Cozumel. It will be disappointing compared to mainland ruins but we enjoyed it all the same combined with a ride round the east side. Small main plaza and then enjoyable walk through the jungle to some outlying ruins, if you are up to the walk. Definitely bring bug spray and water and understand that you are charged the entrance fee in two small amounts. You can hire a guide inside, or do a self-guided walk.

Thanks for the advice! I think we'll probably just stick to snorkeling then.

• 7 months later...

First of all I am a solo cruiser so that makes some of theses experiences maybe a little different for me compared to a family or group... I have read more than a few times that San Gervasio is disappointing, especially compared to Tulum etc and I'd actually prefer to see Tulum but what I've read about the heat, the huge crowds and being rushed sounds even worse lol... So I'm asking as someone who is a HUGE history buff, especially when it comes to Goddesses (and this is a ruin built in honor of a fertility Goddess)... PLUS I've heard the east side of Coz is totally rad... So I'm wondering if this would still be a good early morning option with a little bit of shopping, bar hopping and a skosh of beach time for someone like me?

*I'll be hiring a private taxi for the day...

Sounds like a great plan and should be easy to arrange. You might post on your roll call to see if there are others who are interested in the same private excursion.

I do have it all planned out now... I had no idea how cheap cars to rent for the day are! 35 bucks! So after a little research and sifting through the boards and forums I have come up with what sounds like the perfect Coz day for me...

1) Get off ship super early and head to Isis for my rental (which I have already rented through their website) and it's a convertible VW bug! Soooo cute!

2) Drive to San Gervasio asap to avoid the heat and bugs as much as possible.

3) Head out to the east side of the island and hit up some beach side restaurants/bars for some yummy seafood, fresh coconuts, adult bevvies (not too much, I'm driving) and a nap in a hammock soothed by the breaking of blue ocean waves.

4) Get back to town for a little shopping, drop off the car and toddle back onto the ship.

and voila! Cozumel itinerary set! DC thanks for the advice! I actually created the Roll Call for that sailing and have already posted that I'm looking for adventure buddies! :cool:;p(y):ship:

San Gervasio was not a Mayan City. It was a worship site for women to give offerings for fertility. There are just a few small structures there. If you want to see a real "city" you need to head to the Mainland.

I do have it all planned out now... I had no idea how cheap cars to rent for the day are! 35 bucks! So after a little research and sifting through the boards and forums I have come up with what sounds like the perfect Coz day for me...

1) Get off ship super early and head to Isis for my rental (which I have already rented through their website) and it's a convertible VW bug! Soooo cute!

2) Drive to San Gervasio asap to avoid the heat and bugs as much as possible.

3) Head out to the east side of the island and hit up some beach side restaurants/bars for some yummy seafood, fresh coconuts, adult bevvies (not too much, I'm driving) and a nap in a hammock soothed by the breaking of blue ocean waves.

4) Get back to town for a little shopping, drop off the car and toddle back onto the ship.

and voila! Cozumel itinerary set! DC thanks for the advice! I actually created the Roll Call for that sailing and have already posted that I'm looking for adventure buddies! :cool:;p(y):ship:

Be sure to do your homework on renting a vehicle especially on a cruise ship day.

Keep in mind you will probably need a taxi to and from Isis unless you dock at Punta Langosta.

• 1 month later...

Be very careful when renting a vehicle in Coz. While there will be loads of people telling you that they did it with no problems, it's the occasional person that did have a problem that you'll want to hear from. Even a simple fender bender, or even barely tapping someone's bumper, can cause you to have to come up with a lot of cash in a hurry or risk missing your ship. We did a tour once in Coz and the tour guide cautioned us to never rent a vehicle there since, in her words, "all the locals need to get a license is a birth certificate and a pulse, and drive like maniacs".

In the area where you live, if there are any abandoned 50's style gas stations that have been hit by a tornado, had the roof torn off and look like they've been untouched by human hands for 20 years or more, that's pretty much was San Gervasio looks like. No monumental structures. Nothing grand.

• 2 weeks later...
The car rental prices in Mexico are very inexpensive, but the insurance is not. Liability insurance is mandated by law for rentals. The insurance was twice as much as the car rental fee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for the heads up! I'll check back with the rental place I have been communicating with.

Thank you so much for the heads up! I'll check back with the rental place I have been communicating with.

As stated above be sure to research thoroughly and have access to plenty of cash in case of an accident.

As stated above be sure to research thoroughly and have access to plenty of cash in case of an accident.

Oh yeah lol... No worries there! This cruise is a whole year away and I've already researched the heck out of it. I do with every trip I take. The car rental place I found has been there forever and has all really good reviews on all the travel review sites. I've spoken with them a couple times already and will be reserving online before the cruise. But I need to contact them again and ask about insurance. I already knew about the possibility of the port being the way far out one and had accounted for that in my schedule/plans. Thanks for the additional info! :cool::cool::cool:

When on the East End of Cozumel, be sure to stop at coconuts Beach Club. It is a little risque but a beautiful place great drinks, fun place. That side of the island is so beautiful. None of the crowd packs. Some real nice beach bars. Several years ago we rented a taxi by the hour. For only $100 he took us on a 4 Hour drive around the island. He stopped every place that we wanted to we stopped for lunch, in fact we bought his lunch also. He talked about all the sites and history of the island he even stopped by his own house, and brought out his own photo album to bring along on the ride. Every time we wanted to stop just to take a picture he was very obliging. The price has probably gone up since we last did this but it was a great way to spend the day. He said that we could have even gone into the water whatever we wanted to do was okay he would just sit and wait. My only stipulation was that he would be paid at the end of our tour. It was my way of assuring myself that we would not be left behind. I found this way to be safer then to rent a Jeep on my own and risk problems either with the vehicle or getting into a little fender bender. We are going to go back soon and we will do the same thing but with a little more knowledge. The ruins were also included on our stop. His name was Constantine AKA pork chop.