Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Hi JP,

It's a shame that London became too expensive. For a part of your eventual retirement planning you might want to think about hotel mileage schemes as they have the effect of fixing room prices for you even at peak times. You can buy the miles or points when they are on offer and use them when needed. I just bought around 250,000 Ihg points at half price. They also normally are treated as flexible bookings so can be changed or cancelled which is great compared with the lower but non-flexible hotel rates. The combination of miles and points is that you can book flexible trips but at decent prices.

I hope you get a chance to get out of Atlanta airport. I know we have a few Cooler residents based there. and I have visited literally dozens of times and it is one of my favourite places. Use to visit when in The Corporation and after I left. I always tried to take wifey and we'd head for the mountains over the weekends. The smell of sweetness in the Blue Ridge. We use to base ourselves in Dahlonega and pan for gold. Once you find your first small spec you get gold fever which never leaves you.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dahlonega&prmd=mniv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5yaaG4eHXAhXELMAKHXFICsYQ_AUIFCgD&biw=991&bih=928

From mid-February there is the Nice Carnaval which might be something you should see JP. Another regular thing we use to visit every year until a few years ago. Some time back we had property and then leases in the area. St-Jean-Cap`-Ferrat and Nice.

http://en.nicecarnaval.com/official-programme

JP, if you decide that a trip down to the South of `france might be a thought for Chris and you, some threads some time ago under my old carnation might be of interest .... all trivial might tempt you down. It is very pleasant at thta time of year. And the carnaval is very French.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=151878

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=206306

Thanks for the info Jeff. We definitely need/want to go back to the south of France but it would be tight for the January trip.

Looking to fly Iceland air, so I want a final destination that's a direct flight from Reykjavik. I could fly to Paris, then take a train or short flight to Provence easily, I know. But that adds time, and on a long weekend that isn't as practical. We plan long weekends around places we can get to quickly and easily.

Thus Helsinki or Stockholm. Easy flights, 3-3.5h from KEF. Or Paris.

Don't worry about London. We will be back in September. That was another reason we didn't push hard to come there for New Year's.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Evening All.......sounds like we are all in good spirits....sadly gin and l don't mix very well but your lounge trips planned on Monday sound a great way to start the Vienna trip Jeffers....my holiday starts when l arrive at the airport!!

JP...l love Atlanta....prided myself one year when l drove from Asheville in NC right to our hotel without getting lost once!

Never seriously plan anything but l do research places I'm going to visit...afraid my good intentions of going ashore usually end with the first glass of fizz on the pool deck 😉 Having said that we have booked a driver to show us some of India next week.

Hair all nicely coiffed this morning and happy news from a very close friend of DD who safely delivered a baby girl this morning......

Is our latest news of Royal Wedding fever exciting anyone..? At least it's good news for a change!

😊

Hi JP,

my votes for direct routes would be in order Amsterdam, Geneva, Bergen, and finally Glasgow. And then perhaps Zurich.

Food for thought. Thanks! Where we'll go is a complex decision that takes into consideration where we've been and what is coming up. Plus, whether we want to take it easy and revisit a past (familiar) place, vs research a new one and go more all out.

We had a few hours in Amsterdam in 2014, and we will be back this September on the cruise. An overnight I think. So probably ok to wait for that.

Just did Geneva last Christmas. Beautiful! But too soon.

Bergen? Hm. Did a cruise ship stop years ago and didn't get the impression that we wanted to return for a few days, but can look again. We loved Oslo years later, so maybe we just weren't ready for Bergen way back then.

We liked Zurich the first time and would return when the opportunity permits. But again, may be too soon.

We may try to time the September cruise with an Audi delivery. That would be awesome!

Have you been to Helsinki or Stockholm? We have not, and that is part of the appeal. We are leaning more towards new than familiar this time. I need to look at the guidebooks. I want a bigger city where there will be plenty of indoor stuff, should the weather be unpleasant, and outdoor stuff, should the weather cooperate. We shall see, but keep the suggestions coming! They are appreciated.

Hello again Coolers,

Miss Sophia, I'm sure you look ravishing with your coiffed hair. Mine will be done on Wednesday, prior tour Tampa trip on Friday.

JP, what a wonderful life you and Chris enjoy! I'm really enjoying all Jeff's suggestions to cap your trip.

Jeff, Roberto and I will be in London for the October 13 performance of his Missa Latina at St. John Smith Square. We will spend about a week in London and would love to see any Cooler who would happen to be there at that time.

Next semester is not academically so busy for my DH, but musically it will be. We will travel to Seville in March and to Copenhagen in July. I'm is glad we decided on the January cruise!

Again, Penny, if you see this, could you let us know you're ok? It's perfectly fine take a long break from the Cooler. We all have a life!

Evening All.......sounds like we are all in good spirits....sadly gin and l don't mix very well but your lounge trips planned on Monday sound a great way to start the Vienna trip Jeffers....my holiday starts when l arrive at the airport!!

JP...l love Atlanta....prided myself one year when l drove from Asheville in NC right to our hotel without getting lost once!

Never seriously plan anything but l do research places I'm going to visit...afraid my good intentions of going ashore usually end with the first glass of fizz on the pool deck 😉 Having said that we have booked a driver to show us some of India next week.

Hair all nicely coiffed this morning and happy news from a very close friend of DD who safely delivered a baby girl this morning......

Is our latest news of Royal Wedding fever exciting anyone..? At least it's good news for a change!

😊

That is sad about the gin! I prefer wine but won't turn down a G&T.

Looking forward to Atlanta! Have been to the airport more times than I remember and we always say that we should stop by. I've got to send Wes an e-mail.

Kudos for driving all that way, especially on the "right" side of the road!

Enjoy your cruise, and India! We had such fun there in February.

Had to laugh at the comment about great intentions going by the wayside with the bubbly. We had that happen once in Istanbul. We embarked there in 2014, and had great plans to drop out bags, and run around until sailaway.

We were so tired from 3 days in Capadocia that we decided to have a quick lunch break. After a ton of Sauvignon Blanc at the grill, we stayed put. It was a wise decision!

I'm glad to read some good news about Harry. He seems like a great chap. For years all the US papers would describe him as a party boy. Glad he's making the papers for a good reason. Cheers!

Miss S. I'll bet you will be the Belle of the Ball with your beautiful hair and sparkly nails! :)

Cam your upcoming travel for Tampa and farther afield in 2018 sounds wonderful!

JP...I'm not as experienced a traveler as many Coolers. The only thing I can offer is that based on our experience of Helsinki and Stockholm in 2007 I would vote for Stockholm. We did a hop-on hop-off bus in Helsinki and there really wasn't much to see although we were thoroughly entertained by our driver who sang opera! Stockholm was amazing. We had lunch in a restaurant that had formerly been a dungeon (underground and dark) with tasty food! We did a hop-on hop-off boat there as well.

Edited by mysty

Good Evening All .....

Cams,, exciting news for your visit next year ..... I do so hope that we are able to get together .... it must be an exciting visit for R and you.

JP, yes I've been to Helsinki, Stockholm and Gothenburg, but don't feel expert enough to offer opinion. I'd like to explain why I suggest Amsterdam for Chris and you. I know you already have a short visit planned and feel it would be duplication when there are other places not yet done .... but here goes.

Of all the many places in Europe I feel that Amsterdam is quite unique. You can go to many cities in France and feel that you might be in many others in France although obviously Paris is unique. Many German cities you could wake up and not be able to tell which one you are in. Even though all Italian cities are unique ...... they all have some similarities in the buildings etc.

There isn't anything quite like Amsterdam. You open your eyes and you know exactly where you are. And I feel that it is worth a visit on top of the short visit you already plan. There is so much culture in such a small compact and perfectly formed space. Wonderful art and museums and extraordinary food. I've been over a few times just to have a really good rijsttafel, once taking the whole extended family. Nowhere does it better. Cultuire, art, pedestrian friendly, great food and drink, lots close by that is uniquely Dutch .... and a very young optimisitc vibe.

I got to know it really well when I was playing records and later when I worked for the Corporation as we had a printer factory there I use to have to visit. There are of course the canals and there are so many places to visit quite close by. Edam, Volendam, Marken and others all easy by bus or train or man with car. And if you don't mind a slightly longer trip - Bruges is also wonderful and worth two days if you could. I once did a few recorded programmes for Radio Oostende when I was very young but that place isn't quite as scenic.

Anyway, I felt I wouldn't be discharging my responsibilities to you and Chris if I didn't provide a touch more for you to ponder on.

Dear Jeff, I did not find Amsterdam pedestrian friendly at all; I found it bicycle friendly with just a nod to pedestrians. While walking the streets, we were distracted by figuring out when we could cross the bicycle path. We are brisk city walkers and did not enjoy walking in Amsterdam. Food, however, was very good and the city ambiance and architecture, charming.

Well, it's something you adapt to. Or not! The Dutch do! Cyclists don't like to hit pedestrians because they tend to come off worst. The don't wear helmets much and they tend to have back pedal braking rather than proper brakes. And they end up in a canal if they hit something. They also get tickets if cycling on pedestrian only areas. There are cycle lanes mostly.

I could offer you a rather naughty tip for your next trip, if you promise not to tell anyone. ;) Buy a white stick ...... you will be given a very wide berth ...... :D

Dear jpalbany just a couple of thoughts re Atlanta and Stockholm.

We visited friends in Atlanta in December 2013 and they took us one evening to the Holiday light show in the Botanical Gardens. It was an amazing experience. I see it will be on till 7 January, 2018 so maybe check with Wes whether he thinks it is still worthwhile. If you do go you will get a decent walk as the gardens are quite big. Do make sure you have gloves, beanies and warm clothes as it is pretty cold.

http://http://atlantabg.org/visit/events/garden-lights

With regards to Stockholm we loved it but we were there in mid August so nicer weather. We like to walk a lot and explore and we found the both the old and new city area great to walk around. Their public transport system also was good to use. We like doing some tourist things so we enjoyed visiting the Vasa Museum with the well preserved galleon that was recovered from the river bed. I suggest going early so you can enjoy it with fewer people around.

http://https://www.vasamuseet.se/en

Since we grew up with ABBA as we are in our late 50's we stopped by the newly opened ABBA museum.

We also enjoyed a trip out on the ferries to the islands in the Archipelago but I'm not sure if they are running much or how nice it would be at the time you are thinking to travel.

It is more costly for food and drink there but one night we enjoyed a picnic brought from the market in our room which looked over the old city. It looks from the website the older market is being renovated but they have a another market up and running in the mean time. I enjoy going to markets in different countries to get a feel for what the locals are buying to take home for dinner.

http://http://www.ostermalmshallen.se/en/

Stockholm is a place we would happily revisit and spend more time there.

Julie

Julie,

So pleased you chimed in. My visits haven't been as recent as yours and there is no substitute for fresh enthusiasm. I guess I also have a slightly unenthusuastic and probably misplaced attittude about visiting Baltic ports as I sort of think of them as being a bit industrial and samey. JP's and Chris's trips are in precious time so it's worth all the input. He'll pick something different anyway ......:D;p

Soapy is off in a few days for her next adventure. So much looking forward to her vicarious sharings ....

Tonight is armagnac as usual and possibly a bit of Netflix.

No worries Jeff, I just wanted to give a different perspective. There were a lot of museums and art galleries we didn't get time to see so I would love to go back and check them out.

With regards to JP picking something different............since we only have one life to live, I am always happy that people choose whatever suits their needs or wants at the time. :)

Julie

Interesting twitters Jeff.....I'm not on twitter..much to the relief of the offspring!

Afraid I'm not intelligent enough to understand all the issues probably because l take the ostrich route!

On another negative issue...l hate Amsterdam apart from the cultural side....giggled at the white stick tip though....adore Bruges.

Maybe JP will at some time consider visiting North Wales for our beautiful castles and Snowdonia...

Trotted out early this morning to finish off the shopping bits....isn't there always something last minute....today was nail polish remover!!

So now in serious countdown mode.....have friends currently on the Spirit who report all is quite fabulous...sadly they get off as we get on but good to know all is well!

Enjoying a wee glass of Alsace today before a lunch of Beef Casserole with mash and cabbage....bitterly cold here so comfort food is the key to an afternoon sofa snooze with furry baby......😊

I agree, I don't use any of that tweet or facebook stuff. Sadly, Trump's tweet is bewildering. It clearly doesn't make the American people safer, and might have just elevated him into being possibly the most dangerous person in the world today. He has basically just confirmed to the Muslim world that he is anti-Muslim and supports and gives publicity to extreme right-wing groups who were largely unknown because he has just elevated their profile and given them and their propaganda endorsement and publicity.

Today was a good British lunch.

9f3c1eb28f5ee4f730c87969ffb306e0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings Coolers!

Miss S. so excited for you! Enjoy your lunch and your Alsace!

J.. Lunch looks yum!

At the risk of losing my Cooler bar stool I would like to respectfully weigh in on the "surprising news". This is the direct result of someone with access to the media responding with enthusiasm to apparent support for their cause.

I really wish people would stop paying any attention to Trump’s tweets. His twitter account belongs to an individual. It is not the President’s account. His tweets are NOT policy. His tweets do NOT represent the thinking of the American people. This is an individual who is using social media to stir up the populace. And it’s all done under the guise of “Free Speech”. There is no such thing as “Free” Speech. Everything we say or write has a consequence. Sometimes the consequence is catastrophic for someone other than the speaker or writer. Consider the young people who are bullied and abused by other kids who for some reason have decided to target them. Just one of many examples of the downsides to the explosion of social media. In the olden days if people wanted to voice an “opinion” they spoke to their neighbours, friends and family. If they had access they could find a soap box at a Speaker’s Corner. No anonymity there! And their reach was limited. Later on, people could write letters to the editor and the editor could choose to print them or not. Once again, their reach was limited. Now the reach extends with every re-tweet. Across the globe! Without critical thinking the tweets are accepted as “truth”. :(

Have a great day all!

Edited by mysty

Good afternoon M,

Thanks yes the sausages were good! And I hope one needn't question each time one expresses an interesting, valid and provoking view that it might be frowned on …. when as you know the opposite is true. :):)

Unless one simply wishes to avoid everything the man says which is fair enough and perfectly understandable, I don't think one can be so easily dismissive of this. It is the method of choice he has selected to have a direct link and contact with the public about what he thinks and feels so as it isn't tarnished by what he calls “fake news” publishers. It is his chosen way of speaking directly to people, all people, without anyone else faking it and so that there can be no misunderstandings about his thoughts, his attitudes, his beliefs and values. That is what his tweet is.

But, it isn't just what is being expressed will be seen as the sentiments of the American President, although that is important enough and it very clearly is – it is what others will make of it and how they respond to it that matters. Whether you think so or not, the American people have placed Trump in the White House and it might not seem irrational for others to conclude that when he tweets he speaks for the way that the majority of the American people feel and think, who when expressing their preference, placed him there. That is how whatever he says will be characterised.

Also, even for the majority who are not anti-American are hoping for in an American President is to see a person with sound, mature judgement who thinks carefully before they act and thinks about repercussions, doesn't make things worst and who is instinctively a peacemaker. It is difficult to discern any of those strengths when he behaves in this way.

Yes Jeff! I do not really have a dog in this fight. I respect the American people's right to choose the leader they think will do the best job for their country. And of course, he has not really changed his spots since the election. I'm not convinced though that there weren't a number of voters who held their noses to support him because to their minds the alternative was much worse. I'm not sure the "policies" were what they were voting to support in all cases. As you know the "fake news" is not just coming from the media. Some of it is coming from Trump tweets. Tweets may be his chosen method of communicating with the American people and they are often "fake news". Hopefully world leaders will not react to the bombast but will instead focus on what Trump is actually doing. Policy will determine the actions and he is not alone in determining policy.

M,

Your original point really was that you wished that people wouldn't read his or other peopes tweets generally. Most people including you and I do not. The sad fact is that his tweet is now being disseminated across the world by the free press and news programmes and presumably we can agree that they should read the press and watch the news. Probably more than 99.9% of the people that will eventually read his tweets over the next few days will bot see them on twitter, but through the other media including the mostly negative commentary that will go along with it.

His tweets are merely a mechanism for him to post "press releases" without him needing the bother or protection and sensible balance bought about the staff people in The White House whose job normally is to try and keep the President out of trouble.

This may yet turn out to be one of the most significant things he has done so far as President however much many of us might wish it wasn't.

....... it was perhaps remiss, negligent and unclear of me not to explain for clarity to other Coolers not in the UK, that "Britain First" the name of the organisation that Trump has retweeted was what the murderer of the British MP Jo Cox cried out as he murdered her.

That is one of the reasons why he would have upset many Brits.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jo-cox-murder-trial-tommy-mair-britain-first-thomas-mp-killer-court-latest-a7416021.html