Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

And Jeff, when I said that I wished people wouldn't read his tweets I was including the media in that request. I agree that even if the regular Joe or Jane Schmo does not follow his tweets in all likelihood he/she will hear about it through the media coverage. I think the media need to stop reporting on the tweets! He may call his tweets "Press Releases" but I'm not convinced that the American people would use that label. His tweets are not "massaged" by staff but they are "massaged" by him.

The organization "Britain First" is delighting in the perceived support from the man. They are getting undeserved news coverage because the man chose to re-tweet their propaganda. Do you really think this will encourage more Brits to join their cause? If anything, don't you think that Trump's perceived support of their cause will result in people running the other way?

Of course not. But I'm not a member of the society that is trying to drum up hatred towards us am I? Those are the people he has just assisted and helped.

And at the same time he has also managed to create enemies out of people who hate those that stir up racial hatred and unrest.

So in a careless ill-conceived stroke he has strengthened his enemies and lost some friends.

Hello coolers.

Hard to write here. I did write about dinner with friends about a week ago. He had leukemia. We had a lovely dinner and lots of fun. The next day he was taken to the ER and died.

Just so sad. He was our children's pediatrician and a lovely man. A true healer in every sense of the word. A great loss.

His family are devastated.

So are we.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi friends.......Spins, so sorry about your friend......my condolences go out to you.

As for Mr Trump? I continue to say this is not MY President:eek::mad::(.........this is only the first year.........pray for us all,

not just here in the states but around the world:eek:

Good evening all.

Could someone help me with a simple calculation that is puzzling me.

If you have a bag of sweets that only has two types in it of equal,quantities, say red and black, and you put your hand in without looking and take two, what are the odds of them being the same colour or of being two different colours. Is it simply 50/50?

OK. You said taking out 2 candies. With non-replacement the odds change. And it depends on the number of candies you start with. If you start with 4 candies 2 red and 2 black and if you first pull out 2 black, the odds of pulling out 2 black on your second go are 0%.

OK. You said taking out 2 candies. With non-replacement the odds change. And it depends on the number of candies you start with. If you start with 4 candies 2 red and 2 black and if you first pull out 2 black, the odds of pulling out 2 black on your second go are 0%.

>>If you have a bag of sweets that only has two types in it of equal,quantities, say red and black<<

And the first time you reach in to take 2 candies the odds are as stated. After that it becomes a function of the number of candies left and the proportion of the colours of candies remaining in the bag. There is a mathematical formula for that.

http://www.probabilityformula.org/probability-without-replacement.html#

I really hate to break this news to Coolers.

Garrison Keillor has been fired over alleged improper behavior

Business Insider

Garrison Keillor, the former host of "A Prarie Home Companion" said he has been fired by Minnesota Public Radio over an allegation of improper behavior. Minnesota Public Radio confirmed Keillor had been fired, saying it received a single allegation of "inappropriate behavior." MINNEAPOLIS - Garrison Keillor, the former host of "A Prairie Home Companion," said Wednesday he has been fired by Minnesota Public Radio over allegations of improper behavior. Keillor told The Associated Press of his Read the full story

I'm prepared to believe the sweet formula but not that Garrison Keillor behaved improperly.

Jeff:

It depends on the number of candies in the bag.

If there are two candies in the bag, the probability of getting one red and one black is 100%. The probability of getting two of the same color is 0.

If there is an infinite number of candies in the bag, the probability of getting two of the same color or getting one red candy and one black candy is 50% because after you take the first candy out of the bag, there are still (roughly) an equal number of candies of each color in the bag. The probability that the second candy will be just like the first or different from the first is therefore 50%.

Eat up and enjoy,

Karen