Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Oh Miss S. it is so difficult to see things we valued and cherished being deemed "under-valued". My mother was so very excited when she bought my first set of Royal Albert china as our wedding gift. She never owned china of her own and she was thrilled to be able to give her daughter something she did not have. I have no granddaughter to pass it to and my own kids are less than enthusiastic. Life goes on.

I did have some business suits (from a job I had in the 80s). I eventually gave them to a program that provides ‘interview’ appropriate clothing to people trying to reintegrate themselves into the work force, but who couldn’t afford the appropriate clothes. Felt good to have them provide a use to someone who could use a hand up. Similar programs exist for teenaged girls who can’t afford a fancy dress for prom or grad.

My china is also unwanted by my offspring.The exception is teacups. Apparently all those teacups in various patterns are highly desirable. We’ll be downsizing soon, and I have no idea what I’ll do with the rest of my china and crystal. But as mysty said - life goes on.

(We refer to these things as ‘first world problems’ which are generally problems with things you have, rather than things you actually need.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi folks, thanks for all the kind words.:) I am having the surgery on Tuesday, Jan 16th..........and will end up having to take the whole week off.....have to check on Monday, 15th.......surgery is the next day and released from the hospital the 17th.

I asked if I could go to work Thurs/Fri but the Dr said I would probably be too sore. The stone is 2.5 centimeters which is pretty large.....

Will keep you posted with any new developments:eek:

I have thought about the suits from time to time and wondered why I kept them for so long. In my case I think it was because I was struggling with losing a part of my identity. I was no longer a data analyst. In social situations people tend to ask you "What do you do?". I had lost my easy answer. I seemed to then become "the wife of". I have come to grips with this and I think that is when I could let the suits go. Just my personal experience. :)

I wasn't really cut out for corporate life although I was reasonably successful.

I had an extremely unconventional way of working. I'd get into the office at 7am and if anyone wanted to see me they could see me without an appointment by wandering in if the door was open up to around 10 am when formal meetings started. I use to go out to lunch around 12:30 ish and we convinced a bar that was opening locally to call itself "The Office" so that if anyone called us whilst we were there we could honestly say that we were "In the office". The owner thought that my idea had basically doubled his business ;)

The oddest quirk of mine was that afternoons were thinking time and I'd go home or stay in the bar with some of my team. Too few people think that thinking isn't a part of a manager's role.

To avoid angst I use to leave a jacket over the back of my chair (implying I was "around") and I always left the office with my stuff in a carrier bag so no one except my team and my boss ever really knew my unusual habits. I had a great boss who knew all this but was interested solely in results.

Hi folks, thanks for all the kind words.:) I am having the surgery on Tuesday, Jan 16th..........and will end up having to take the whole week off.....have to check on Monday, 15th.......surgery is the next day and released from the hospital the 17th.

I asked if I could go to work Thurs/Fri but the Dr said I would probably be too sore. The stone is 2.5 centimeters which is pretty large.....

Will keep you posted with any new developments:eek:

Take the week off, Lois. Rest. Recuperate. We’ll all be sending healing thoughts your way.

Unfortunately J, too few managers think that thinking is part of a manager's job. :( Unorthodox approaches are often the most successful ones! I wasn't cut out for "government work" and that was my Achilles Heel. If I had been as "wise" then as I am now I would not have let the system beat me down. And life goes on!

Unfortunately J, too few managers think that thinking is part of a manager's job. :( Unorthodox approaches are often the most successful ones! I wasn't cut out for "government work" and that was my Achilles Heel. If I had been as "wise" then as I am now I would not have let the system beat me down. And life goes on!

I was fortunate to have a really good boss who immunised me from the rest of The Corporation and mentored me. He was extraordinary.

My job was to start new businesses from scratch and after a session in a pub when I agreed to take the job if he gave me a revenue and profit target BUT everything over that I was able to take 50% of every incremental dollar revenue as spend without seeking any approval. That made life very free and exciting.

When people called to join the team, I'd tell them to go and spend time with my team and if they came and told me that they should join then they had a job. My view was that if I interviewed and employed then their success was a lottery, but if my team worked out what they could do, and where they could fit in, and whether they could "earn" for us, and they therefore felt that they had employed them they would conspire together to make the colleague they had chose a success. It always worked and my team felt they owned their department and my job was simply to lead and remove obstacles that impeded their progress. I felt I worked for them rather than them for me. I simply tried to excite, ensured I got a good deal on pay and rations and recognition for my team and they got on and "did it".

All things come to an end.

Spins...your linen closet must be massive! With respect to the clothes, I was working with the old adage "dress for the job you want, not the one you have". I did get numerous compliments on the attire. Those compliments did not translate into promotions. Government job promotions were not based on clothes nor really on merit.

J...your corporate working experience sounds magical! You were very lucky and very wise to be able to enjoy the freedom to operate without the normal strictures!

Off tomorrow for an emergency visit to daughter. Her husband is in hospital and she needs help with kids and dog. There is no off button on parenthood.

Decided to start the decluttering while it’s too hot to go out. 40C now at 12md.

Started with the cookbooks. We have so many and now use google more than cookbooks. I have one or two favourites but most sit idly in the cupboard.

Like the silver and crystal, my daughters don’t want them.

The op shop will get some money for them as they are still good and written by interesting chefs.

Lois, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Don’t go back to work too early. Recuperating from an anaesthetic takes time.

My friends have done a great trip to Ireland lately. I’ll look up the website and send you a link. You can do a bit of research while you are mending.

Lois, here is the link. My friends really liked their trip, and it looks nearly as good as the one you liked that was canceled.

Not sure when you wanted to go?

https://backroadstouring.com/tour/europe/ireland-the-emerald-isle-dublin-belfast-galway-kilkenny#

Hi, thanks for the link:)..........I just found out I have to have surgery so this trip will have to be postponed. I may

end up going on a Caribbean Cruise but right now I am not traveling to Europe.

Take the week off, Lois. Rest. Recuperate. We’ll all be sending healing thoughts your way.

Thank you:)....... I will end up taking the whole week off. The Dr said I would be sore after....so I won't go back to work till

the 22nd.

Spins...your linen closet must be massive! With respect to the clothes, I was working with the old adage "dress for the job you want, not the one you have". I did get numerous compliments on the attire. Those compliments did not translate into promotions. Government job promotions were not based on clothes nor really on merit.

J...your corporate working experience sounds magical! You were very lucky and very wise to be able to enjoy the freedom to operate without the normal strictures!

Off tomorrow for an emergency visit to daughter. Her husband is in hospital and she needs help with kids and dog. There is no off button on parenthood.

Yes linen closet huge.

But I also used those squishy plastic bAg where u take air out.

Had five of them.

Let air in and stuff becomes normal size.

Ugh.

Clothes are interesting topic.

When I was a psych nurse and worked nights I wore jeans.

I had to because we had a 24 hour open door and often I had to take down and restrain people who presented themselves and were quite psychotic. I worked nights.

But I was very visible to all patients.

I gave out meds.

Did rounds.

Then I was offered a day shift.

We had to dress up. In other words no jeans.

The very same patients I knew from the night, did not recognize me when I saw them in the day.

I was doing the same job.

They were the same.

I was dressed differently.

Mysty.

I have been many incarnations.

Haven't we all?

Every job I have done has been a remarkable learning experience for me where I was given so much and only hope I could give back, just some of what I got.

Not sure that happened.

I think when I was a hospice nurse I was given the most.

I was privileged to accompany people to another place.

I am still working on linen closet.

Reading everyone's exploits.

History of sartorial splendor.

How we identify with clothes or how others perceive us.

Clothes make the man or woman?

I've found out a tux is not required on my Silver Cloud Expedition cruise. I'll just take my regular suit -

JwJAes.jpg

Whadda ya think? ;p