cruise dress code on formal evening chic

fatjay

Are you sailing the Caribbean or Europe?

There are a lot of threads on this. I think to some extent people see what they want to see as the norm, and there's variation from cruise to cruise. You will certainly not be overdressed in a Tux, but you are also unlikely to be in the majority. Dress slacks, button up shirt, +/- sport coat is probably somewhere in the median. Which means you'll see jeans with a polo or short sleeved casual shirt all the way to suits and tuxedos, with the occasional kilt and military dress uniform thrown in.

From what I've read (haven't cruised Celebrity in Europe), European cruises have tended to be somewhat more formal, and Caribbean cruises somewhat less. If there's an SO who wants to dress up, dress to match and ignore...

Are you sailing the Caribbean or Europe?

There are a lot of threads on this. I think to some extent people see what they want to see as the norm, and there's variation from cruise to cruise. You will certainly not be overdressed in a Tux, but you are also unlikely to be in the majority. Dress slacks, button up shirt, +/- sport coat is probably somewhere in the median. Which means you'll see jeans with a polo or short sleeved casual shirt all the way to suits and tuxedos, with the occasional kilt and military dress uniform thrown in.

From what I've read (haven't cruised Celebrity in Europe), European cruises have tended to be somewhat more formal, and Caribbean cruises somewhat less. If there's an SO who wants to dress up, dress to match and ignore...

I couldn't agree more if I'd written that myself!:)

We wrestle with this issue before every cruise.....but in the end, pack our tux. Why not? DW likes to see me dressed-up and I would rather be one of the better dressed then not! All that being said, there is no reason to wear a tux on Celebrity unless its your personal preference. We see suits, sport coats, blazers, and just shirts/slacks. All are acceptable.

One interesting factoid is that for the past 4 years we have taken the 14 day Eclipse Caribbean cruise and always taken our tux. On those cruises we had Aqua Class....which has a dress code of Smart Casual....even on the Chic nights. But when we would go into Blu with our tux...we noticed that a large majority of the men were well dressed (even better then what we saw going to the MDR) in suits or a tux. Go figure.

Hank

We wrestle with this issue before every cruise.....but in the end, pack our tux. Why not? DW likes to see me dressed-up and I would rather be one of the better dressed then not! All that being said, there is no reason to wear a tux on Celebrity unless its your personal preference. We see suits, sport coats, blazers, and just shirts/slacks. All are acceptable.

One interesting factoid is that for the past 4 years we have taken the 14 day Eclipse Caribbean cruise and always taken our tux. On those cruises we had Aqua Class....which has a dress code of Smart Casual....even on the Chic nights. But when we would go into Blu with our tux...we noticed that a large majority of the men were well dressed (even better then what we saw going to the MDR) in suits or a tux. Go figure.

Hank

Hank,

Agree. When we cruise the Caribbean in Aqua I still bring out my suit (sorry, but my tux stays home) and do feel that I am in the majority on Chic nights.

Scott

With the definition of Sophisticated Chic including designer jeans, my husband now wears nice dark pants with a cotton polo for all nights on Celebrity. I wear black pants with cute tops and have somewhat sparkly tops for Chic evenings. It's what we wear to a restaurant such as Morton's or Capital Grille in warm weather.

Shorts were not allowed any night on our Equinox cruise. I don't think jeans were allowed on formal nights.

If I had a tux, I would have taken it. I enjoy them now and then.

Burt

When was your Equinox cruse? Celebrity does allow jeans in the evening in the MDR and other venues. Formal evenings have been replaced (at least 2 years ago) with evening chic. And yes you may wear your tux or suit on evening chic or any other evening.

Edited by davekathy

When was your Equinox cruse? Celebrity does allow jeans in the evening in the MDR and other venues. Formal evenings have been replaced (at least 2 years ago) with evening chic. And yes you may wear your tux or suit on evening chic or any other evening.

I was on Equinox in Sept and Jeans are definitely allowed and have been allowed for several years now. Celebrity does not define Designer Jeans. so that is up in the air.