Hotel and Airline Question

Jillbus

Next summer my DW and I are planning on taking a cruise out of San Juan to the Southern Caribbean. We are so very excited

Can you anyone recommend a good reasonable hotel and a good airline to get to San Juan PR from Florida?

Any suggestions of a good restaurant the night before we sail?

Thanks!:cool:

Next summer my DW and I are planning on taking a cruise out of San Juan to the Southern Caribbean. We are so very excited

Can you anyone recommend a good reasonable hotel and a good airline to get to San Juan PR from Florida?

Any suggestions of a good restaurant the night before we sail?

Thanks!:cool:

Southwest flies direct from Orlando... plus Tampa and Fort Lauderdale.

The Parrot Club has been closed since sometime this past June or July. Try Barrachina for lunch or dinner. I also agree that La Bobmonera is good for breakfast. Both of these restaurants are in OSJ.

Southwest Airlines is your best bet for flights from Florida. Prices and free checked bags can't be beat.

It would be helpful to know your budget and what amenities you are looking for in a hotel before we can respond to this question.

Given the hotel situation in San Juan, I would book with one of the smaller boutique hotels. Other posters are reporting that their hotel reservations into March are being canceled due to relief workers extending their stays. From what we were told by the power company workers when we were there last month, they expect to be in PR for at least a year (but probably longer).

I would recommend Casablanca or Da House. People on our cruise stayed at Casa Sol and raved about it. Other small hotels with great recommendations are La Terazza, Olive, Acacia, and El Covento.

The Parrot Club has been closed since sometime this past June or July. Try Barrachina for lunch or dinner. I also agree that La Bobmonera is good for breakfast. Both of these restaurants are in OSJ.

Southwest Airlines is your best bet for flights from Florida. Prices and free checked bags can't be beat.

It would be helpful to know your budget and what amenities you are looking for in a hotel before we can respond to this question.

What....the Parrot Club closed...any reason as to why ?

Given the hotel situation in San Juan, I would book with one of the smaller boutique hotels. Other posters are reporting that their hotel reservations into March are being canceled due to relief workers extending their stays. From what we were told by the power company workers when we were there last month, they expect to be in PR for at least a year (but probably longer).

I would recommend Casablanca or Da House. People on our cruise stayed at Casa Sol and raved about it. Other small hotels with great recommendations are La Terazza, Olive, Acacia, and El Covento.

The OP isn't going until next summer...I'm assuming the hotel situation might be different by then.

The OP isn't going until next summer...I'm assuming the hotel situation might be different by then.

I realize that, but other posters are reporting that their hotel reservations in March 2018 are being canceled because FEMA and other disaster relief personnel are extending their stays. If they book in a major hotel that is housing those workers and they extend their stays again through the summer, those reservations could be canceled. We were there at the end of October and the power company workers told us they expect to be there for at least a year, but probably longer.

Ashland, the Parrot Club was our favorite bar and restaurant in OSJ. When I was planning our visit for next February I found out it was closed. I read somewhere (most likely on CC or Trip Advisor) that the Club was another casualty of the failing economy in Puerto Rico. I then checked another site where you can make reservations and confirmed that they were closed. This was back in March of this year, so they must have closed in June or July of 2016. If this timeline is correct.........

I don't think they are going to reopen. It's been too long. Too bad.

We are staying at a hotel right down the street from their location and I will try and find out what happened.

Ashland, the Parrot Club was our favorite bar and restaurant in OSJ. When I was planning our visit for next February I found out it was closed. I read somewhere (most likely on CC or Trip Advisor) that the Club was another casualty of the failing economy in Puerto Rico. I then checked another site where you can make reservations and confirmed that they were closed. This was back in March of this year, so they must have closed in June or July of 2016. If this timeline is correct.........

We are staying at a hotel right down the street from their location and I will try and find out what happened.

Thanks for the info...so sad...about that. We won't be there until next Sept...so it looks like we'll have to find another favorite. Let me know what you find (as an alternate) when you're there.

Unless there’s another one, they were posting on FB through May. There’s a notice on their website that they would be closed until the end of June 2017.

So that’s an odd timeline.

Unless I looked up the wrong one.

Unless there’s another one, they were posting on FB through May. There’s a notice on their website that they would be closed until the end of June 2017.

So that’s an odd timeline.

Unless I looked up the wrong one.

No, you have the right place. I see where the website says that they were to open in June 2017, but no reviews after May 2017 and their website says closed (@ 6PM on a Wednesday). And Open Table still says "Permanently Closed". Very strange. I would love to see them reopen, but I'm guessing there are a lot of plans being postponed due to Maria. I will be checking in February as they were located just down the street from our hotel.