need help with itinerary DIY Seward to Denali

Laura44

We are a family of 4 (10 and 12 year old adventurous girls) and our 7 day Alaska cruise (NCL from Vancouver) ends in Seward on a Monday in late August. So far, my plan is:

Monday - spend the day in Seward - see Kenai Fjords and Exit glacier and maybe a dog sled tour at Seavy's. Seavy's offers a day tour that includes a trip to Exit Glacier and lunch and a dog sled tour.Has anyone done this tour? Is it worth it? Will we see the important sights?

Also, Having trouble deciding if I should rent a car in Seward for $327 to drive to Anchorage or if we should just take a bus there. The bus costs $65 per person so it's cheaper, but will we miss things along the way? I don't mind the driving so if there's a lot to see/do along the way, driving might be worth it.

Stay overnight in Anchorage - any must see/do things there?

Tuesday - pick up new rental car, drive to Denali. Do rafting trip in afternoon

stay overnight

Wednesday - tour Denali park - not sure if we should do guided tour or just the park shuttles. Any thoughts?

Afternoon drive to Fairbanks for 9:30 pm flight home

This is a once in a lifetime trip - I don't forsee being able to get back any time in the next 10-20 years after this trip. That said, this trip is already costing a lot more than we thought and we do need to find places to save, but still being able to do all the amazing things. Would love some advice . . .

We are a family of 4 (10 and 12 year old adventurous girls) and our 7 day Alaska cruise (NCL from Vancouver) ends in Seward on a Monday in late August. So far, my plan is:

Monday - spend the day in Seward - see Kenai Fjords and Exit glacier and maybe a dog sled tour at Seavy's. Seavy's offers a day tour that includes a trip to Exit Glacier and lunch and a dog sled tour.Has anyone done this tour? Is it worth it? Will we see the important sights?

Also, Having trouble deciding if I should rent a car in Seward for $327 to drive to Anchorage or if we should just take a bus there. The bus costs $65 per person so it's cheaper, but will we miss things along the way? I don't mind the driving so if there's a lot to see/do along the way, driving might be worth it.

You are going to disembark from the ship AND do a boat trip on the Kenai Fjords AND tour Seavy's AND visit the Exit Glacier AND get to Anchorage AND hope to see stuff in Anchorage in one day. Are you really serious?

stay overnight

What time are you planning to get out of your hotel in Anchorage and pick up your car. Assuming you encounter no driving problems in your Anchorage to Denali trip, it is a 4 hour drive. You will be lucky to get to Denali by 1 PM.

Wednesday - tour Denali park - not sure if we should do guided tour or just the park shuttles. Any thoughts?

Afternoon drive to Fairbanks for 9:30 pm flight home.

Your Denali plans are even crazier than your Seward plans. Work your time backwards. Your flight from Fairbanks leaves at 9:30. This means that you have to be in Fairbanks by 6:30 at the latest to drop off your car and get to the airport. It is a 3 hour drive on a 1 lane road from Denali to Fairbanks so you have to be out of Denali by 3:30. What do you think you can do in Denali between when you get up in the morning and when you have to leave Denali. Also, you are driving all the way from Seward to Fairbanks to spend no time at all in Anchorage and an afternoon (maybe) and a morning in Denali.

Does any of this make any sense to you.

This is a once in a lifetime trip - I don't forsee being able to get back any time in the next 10-20 years after this trip. That said, this trip is already costing a lot more than we thought and we do need to find places to save, but still being able to do all the amazing things. Would love some advice . . .

You are trying to do way too much in not enough time. Distances are long in AK, most of the roads are 1 lane each way, people get stuck behind RVs and there can be accidents. Also, the summer is the the time that they do road construction an AK and you will almost certainly encounter several construction delays on your trip.You will be spending more time driving than looking.

See notes above. Whomever designed this trip is totally bonkers. You can't do Seward and Denali and Anchorage in the allotted time. Cut it in half.

DON

Skip Denali, and fly out of Anchorage if you cannot spend extra days for the trip. Your plan for Seward will fill up your entire time Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, rent the car and make stops along the way from Seward to Anchorage, including the Wildlife Conservation Center and Girdwood/Alyeska.

A trip to Denali is not feasible in your time frame, unless you want to spend all of your time in the car, and almost no time doing activities. I doubt that the girls would enjoy that.

Your plan is way too aggressive. IF you try to squeeze in everything you mentioned and IF you are able to do it (highly unlikely) you will not enjoy the things that you are looking forward to doing. You just don't have enough time to do all of the things you plan on doing. We spent a week on land before our cruise. We spent 2 nights in Fairbanks, 2 nights in the Denali area, a night in Talkeetna, a night in Anchorage and a night in Seward. SIX NIGHTS and it was not enough time. If this is your first trip to Alaska, you will not be able to drive straight through to anyplace without stopping. The views of the landscape and wildlife are too spectacular to just keep on driving.

Is there any way you can extend your land portion by a couple of days? It's a once in lifetime trip, don't waste it.

We might be able to stay one extra night.

We are trying to figure out if maybe we just stick to the Seward/Anchorage region and do the 2 nights/3 full days in that area. Or, do we do one day in Seward and 2 more nights (basically 2 1/2 days) in Denali and leave out of Fairbanks so there is less driving.

Other factors in making this decision include, what excursions will we do on the boat. Our itinerary is:

Start in Vancouver, cruise inside passage, stop in Ketchikan (not sure what excursion we will do); stop in Juneau (will likely go see Mendenhall Glacier); stop in Skagway (not sure what we will do); Cruise Glacier Bay; Cruise Hubbard Glacier.

So, keeping all of that in mind, if we stick around Seward, are we seeing more of the same thing or will we be seeing different things. Is Denali something completely different that we shouldn't miss?

If we have 3 full days or 4 full days, where should we spend our time, taking into account what we are doing on the boat too?

Thanks for all the advice!

Denali National Park is something completely different from what you will see/do on the ship. Spending an extra night in Denali would be very beneficial. The tour of the park (going to the Eielson Visitor Center) is an all-day affair. The trip takes 8 hours round trip. You will see all sorts of wildlife and, if you're fortunate, some gorgeous views of Mt. Denali. If I was working with your timetable, I would skip the proposed activities in Anchorage and head toward Denali. The scenery you will see is breathtaking. My suggestion for a revised schedule with an extra night. Tuesday - Take a leisurely drive to Denali and enjoy the scenery. Wednesday - take the shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center. Thursday - Maybe take the rafting trip in the morning and then head to Fairbanks. The drive to Fairbanks also offers some gorgeous views.

While I understand you want to do as many activities as possible, you need to take time to enjoy the beauty of Alaska. We thought "oh, if you've seen one mountain, you've seen them all". That's not the case. Every mile down the road and every bend you go around offers a different view.

We might be able to stay one extra night.

We are trying to figure out if maybe we just stick to the Seward/Anchorage region and do the 2 nights/3 full days in that area. Or, do we do one day in Seward and 2 more nights (basically 2 1/2 days) in Denali and leave out of Fairbanks so there is less driving.

Other factors in making this decision include, what excursions will we do on the boat. Our itinerary is:

Start in Vancouver, cruise inside passage, stop in Ketchikan (not sure what excursion we will do); stop in Juneau (will likely go see Mendenhall Glacier); stop in Skagway (not sure what we will do); Cruise Glacier Bay; Cruise Hubbard Glacier.

So, keeping all of that in mind, if we stick around Seward, are we seeing more of the same thing or will we be seeing different things. Is Denali something completely different that we shouldn't miss?

If we have 3 full days or 4 full days, where should we spend our time, taking into account what we are doing on the boat too?

Thanks for all the advice!

Have you read the multiple reviews from Alaska trips? At the top of the page for the Alaska boards are links to trip reports for the last several years. The reports were very beneficial in helping us plan our trip this year. Here is a link to my report from our trip.

We loved the dome train from Seward to Anchorage. It’s an evening train so you don’t loose a day in Seward. The scenery is magnificent and you get into Anchorage around 10pm. You can check your luggage and yourselves in at the station when you check out of your hotel in the morning. You will also save a lot of money not taking a car one way to Anchorage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We loved the dome train from Seward to Anchorage. It’s an evening train so you don’t loose a day in Seward. The scenery is magnificent and you get into Anchorage around 10pm. You can check your luggage and yourselves in at the station when you check out of your hotel in the morning. You will also save a lot of money not taking a car one way to Anchorage.

I am the anti-train Grinch here on CC. I do agree that the train is reliable and you do not have to worry about road slowdowns but I found the train experience totally horrible. I like to be able to stop when I want to to enjoy scenery or if there is wildlife at the roadside. You can't do that on the train. I call a train trip a "blink and you miss the bear" trip. I want to be in control of my travel experience.

I did the Anchorage to Denali trip maybe 10 years ago and I swore that I would never take a tourist train trip ever again. Except for my Ghan Darwin to Adelaide trip and I did that one only because DW insisted that we were NOT going to do the 3000 km trip by car. If I had my way, I would have done it by car.

DON

And I am the anti-Grinch in favor of the train. The main reason is that instead of one of you having to pay attention to driving, all of you can see the magnificent sights.

Splurge for the Gold Star experience, and you will be able to stand outside in the covered observation area behind your Gold Star car and view both sides of the train. You'll never miss a photographic opportunity that way, whereas if there is no place to pull over to the side of the road, there went your view.

In each Gold Star car is a dining room, and your dinner will be covered as part of your fare. We have ridden the train twice, once from Anchorage to Seward, and last August we took the train from Anchorage to Denali and back (guess that makes three trips). Next June we're booked once again from Anchorage to Seward. Obviously, we love the train. :D

The train would be a wonderful way to end your trip of a lifetime to Alaska, although you'd be surprised how many people say "once in a lifetime" and end up going back again and again. Then when you do come back, you can do Denali.

You were previously given resources for travel distances and Denali shuttles. Only you can determine whether your family would prefer to spend your land travel around Seward OR Denali. We don't know their interests, priorities or their travel style. How will your 'adventurous ' kids feel about being in a car for the drive to Denali, followed by 8 hrs in a shuttle bus? The Denali drive can easily be broken up ....ie instead of doing the dog cart in Seward, go to the Iditarod Headquarters near Wasilla, (or in Skagway). Or skip the Kenai cruise and drive to Matanuska Glacier for rafting and ice trekking as a unique experience.

If you decide to stay in Seward, do the research to determine HOW you will spend your time for those 3 or 4 days. The Kenai cruise is pricey for 4, but would seeing the glacier up close and seeing whales and other sealife be a priority? Or would you rather see caribou, bear, dall sheep in their natural environment.

Personally I would choose Denali. Not only because I love the scenery and wildlife but it will be a totally different experience to what you will see and do on the cruise. And if this trip is a one and only to Alaska, I would want different experiences. But that's me and MY interests.

You definitely need the 4th day, but even then your current itinerary would be rushed. It looks like this:

Day 1 Disembark ship. Leave luggage at Kenai Fjords office and board the 8am sailing for the 6 hr wildlife cruise. Return at 2pm. Pick up rental car, lunch, drive to Exit Glacier for a hike, then evening sled dog ride. Overnight in Seward or drive 2 hrs to Summit Lake Lodge shorten the next days drive

Day 2 3 hrs to Anchorage ( or 1 hr) . Then 5hrs more to Denali.

day 3 shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center 8 hrs RT

day 4 sled dog demo at 10am, rafting, Drive to Fairbanks 2 1/2 hrs

OR

day 1 disembark ship. Check luggage at hotel. Dog cart at Seaveys, hike at Exit Glacier, wander along waterfront trail looking for eagles and otters and enjoy the view across the bay, watch the fishing charters arrive, visit SeaLife Center

day 2 kenai cruise.

day 3 leisurely drive to Anchorage 3 hrs. Stop at Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, short hike to Byron Glacier nr Girdwood

Catch red eye home

OR

day 1 disembark ship. Pick up rental. Visit Exit Glacier, do the Seaveys dog cart, stop at Wildlife conservation Center, hike Byron glacier nr Girdwood, overnight Girdwood.

day 2 then compete the drive to Denali 6 hrs. Stop at the Eklutna Spirit Houses/Orthodox Church, Iditarod Hdqtrs, lunch in Talkeetna

day 3 Eielson Visitor Center shuttle 8 hrs RT

day 4 raft

or day 1 disembark ship. Pick up rental. Drive to Matanuska Glacier ( 3 hrs to Anc then 2 1/2 hrs to Matanuska). Break up the drive with stops at Wildlife Center, Byron Glacier nr Girdwood.

day 2 ice trek on Matanuska, raft. Drive to Denali

day 3 Eielson shuttle

day 4 raft. Hike at Savage River , sled dog demo. drive to Fai for flight home

There are many options. But you need to look at mileages from place to place to see how much road time your kids will tolerate and which sights and activities are priorities. Instead of rushing into an itinerary over the next week , do the research to make the most out of this trip.

Look at past trip reports, esp ones that include kids. One that comes to mind is from kpd

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2537470

Have fun with your research and planning.

Regardless of which itinerary you choose, be sure to have back up plans due to inclement weather. My trips are usually mid to late Aug and I always have crummy weather. So if you arrive to Seward in good weather, do the kenai cruise that day ... don't put it off. Weather can change on a dime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a 6 hour tour of Kenai Fjords over both Exit Glacier and dog sledding (we did all three). The Kenai Fjords was outstanding- in terms of both wildlife and scenery. Better than from the cruise ship (closer to the glaciers, and closer to the wildlife- humpbacks, otters, orcas, mountain goats, sea lions, puffins). Exit glacier was a really nice hike, and the dog sledding we did with Seavey was great (it was the helicopter-in on Punch Bowl glacier out of Girdwood)- both really fun but nothing compared to Kenai Fjords. You can get off the ship on Monday and still do the noon- 6:30 tour, and then drive (or take train) to Anchorage.

stay overnight

Afternoon drive to Fairbanks for 9:30 pm flight home

I would suggest a 6 hour tour of Kenai Fjords over both Exit Glacier and dog sledding (we did all three). The Kenai Fjords was outstanding- in terms of both wildlife and scenery. Better than from the cruise ship (closer to the glaciers, and closer to the wildlife- humpbacks, otters, orcas, mountain goats, sea lions, puffins). Exit glacier was a really nice hike, and the dog sledding we did with Seavey was great (it was the helicopter-in on Punch Bowl glacier out of Girdwood)- both really fun but nothing compared to Kenai Fjords. You can get off the ship on Monday and still do the noon- 6:30 tour, and then drive (or take train) to Anchorage.

May i ask which tour operator did you go with?

May i ask which tour operator did you go with?

We went with Major Marine. It was the end of May, 2016. We were lucky with a perfectly clear calm day, and excellent wildlife sightings with 3 different orca pods including a superpod. My kids (10 and 8) really enjoyed the jr ranger program, and of course all the wildlife. We did the 6 hour tour and they were not bored at all. They also bring glacier ice on board and make margaritas with it for everyone- the kids got virgin ones and thought that we pretty neat. Boat was plenty big (it wasn't full) and we had lots of room outside, and assigned seats inside, so every family got a table and chairs inside for when they were cold. We were rarely at it, mostly out on deck.

We went with Major Marine. It was the end of May, 2016. We were lucky with a perfectly clear calm day, and excellent wildlife sightings with 3 different orca pods including a superpod. My kids (10 and 8) really enjoyed the jr ranger program, and of course all the wildlife. We did the 6 hour tour and they were not bored at all. They also bring glacier ice on board and make margaritas with it for everyone- the kids got virgin ones and thought that we pretty neat. Boat was plenty big (it wasn't full) and we had lots of room outside, and assigned seats inside, so every family got a table and chairs inside for when they were cold. We were rarely at it, mostly out on deck.

I am looking for 6 hrs kenai fjords as well but afraid that my mom will get seasickness which is very much concerned for me, she is 80yrs old. By the way i really want to go this cruise.

Thank you

Well this was on a catamaran so it was really stable, but I hear that the cruise can be quite rough (it wasn't when we were there). Can she take Bonine? There were comfortable places to sit inside, where you can still easily see out (which helps with motion sickness).

Well this was on a catamaran so it was really stable, but I hear that the cruise can be quite rough (it wasn't when we were there). Can she take Bonine? There were comfortable places to sit inside, where you can still easily see out (which helps with motion sickness).

What is Bonnie? I am Thai. Sometimes i get hard to know what you guys are talking about.

What is Bonnie? I am Thai. Sometimes i get hard to know what you guys are talking about.

I'd instead suggest consulting your heath care professional and find the best preventive option for you. Even Bonine (meclizine) is not a "fix all" nor should it be just randomly "recommended".

I go on these tours, multiple times EVERY season and pretty much always see "ill" passengers.

I'd instead suggest consulting your heath care professional and find the best preventive option for you. Even Bonine (meclizine) is not a "fix all" nor should it be just randomly "recommended".

I go on these tours, multiple times EVERY season and pretty much always see "ill" passengers.

Oh thank you.

If my mom is ill, that won’t be ok for the rest at all, including myself.

I will do as your suggestions