The Star 12/1 - 12/15 Panama Canal Transit -- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

RaiderDuck

Figured I'd be eating in O'Sheehans a lot. Hope I enjoy it! Of course, I won't be able to compare it to what it was in the past.

I'm in an interior, and like to spend my sea days somewhere relatively quiet, as I like to just sit and read. I'm not a sit-by-the-pool-and-drink-and-bake person! ;) I'll be unhappy if I can't find anywhere relatively quiet. I don't cruise to spend my time in my inside cabin just to get away from the noise. Am thinking about buying a spa pass as I've read that's a good place to get away from the masses of humanity on days when the weather isn't great, but not sure I want to cough up the extra money to do that.

I'm not going to get too worked up about positive or negative comments. I often read comments from people that have been on the same sailing as I and see that they had very different experiences. The people in the cabin next door can have a cruise that's very different from me. Just depends on expectations, and the choices you make when you're on the ship. Things that are important to one cruiser don't matter to the next. Dinner in one restaurant on one night can vary greatly from dinner the next night!

I'm sure I'll enjoy myself. I do hope so as I'd hate for my first experience on NCL (and 14 nights at that) to give me a bad impression.

Thanks to OP for sharing your thoughts.

As long as O'Sheehans doesn't get rid of the wings all will be well :)

We were on the Star a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. You will be able to find quiet spots (it is even quiet on deck if you go to the front of the ship).

I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

Fee is part of cruise fare.

The port fees and taxes are separate from the cruise fare. I believe they are the same for everyone, regardless of cabin category. They are quite hefty for a Panama Canal Cruise and add about $750-800 for a PC cruise, depending on what ports you stop at.

The port fees and taxes are separate from the cruise fare. I believe they are the same for everyone, regardless of cabin category. They are quite hefty for a Panama Canal Cruise and add about $750-800 for a PC cruise, depending on what ports you stop at.

Just finished this same Star Dec 1st 14 day PC cruise with 6 port stops (well, 8 if you count Miami and Los Angeles), and this was my fee breakdown as a solo passenger:

IMG_20171219_104150-L.jpg

Thanks for the great trip report!

Regarding the SDP...I guess I have to bring the terms with me on my breakaway cruise in a little bit over a week from now...there is still no limit listed...will be interesting if they try to enforce it...

You are correct in how each line is separate but I just add everything together and call it the cruise fare.

My granddaughter and I were in cabin 8556 and our steward Dixon was great. Friendly, attentive and competent he took good care of us. I must admit the we weren't really very demanding but he did learn our schedule and was unobtrusive. Also since he did his job very well, we didn't have to be demanding.

My granddaughter chose the excursions and her favorites were the dolphin swim in Cabo and the zip line in Costa Rica. I had to go on the zip line with her because she is fearless on the zip line but timid in new situations. We had a beautiful cable tram ride up the mountain over flowers and waterfalls and for me a nervous 10 zip line ride back down. I'll be 68 next week and this was my first zip line. One of the best things about working 16 years in an underground coal mine is I didn't have far to fall.

I'm not a zip line fan but my granddaughter loved it.

I personally enjoyed the Mangrove canoe ride in Columbia, my granddaughter, not so much. Be aware, it is a boat ride through a shallow swamp. There are mosquitoes. smell and trash in the water. Also you are barely out of the city and so there is some traffic noise. That said, I enjoyed wildlife and the ride. The canoe you ride is luck of the draw. There are wide and narrow canoes. Steel, fiberglass, and wood plank canoes. Dry and leaky canoes. We drew a narrow unstable leaky wood plank canoe that had to be bailed every few minutes. We stayed dry though so what does it matter.

Just completed the PC trip on 15th Dec & enjoyed my time on Star more than I thought I would.

Thing I found strange nobody has mentioned the vibration at the bar area in O'sheehans overlooking

the atrium. On our first night we sat on the bar stools & felt nauseous after a while & it wasn't the drink.

We returned a couple more times during the cruise & found it unbearable, I did speak with a member of crew

who seemed to shrug it off as normal. The whole balcony was resonating whilst sailing but seemed fine when docked,

Any one else notice this problem.

Thanks for a good review good bad & the ugly was how I have to agree with much of it.