car seats

PlainvilleGirl

It is best to have a car seat on the plane. It is best to use their own car seat with whatever transportation is used in Florida because even if one is provided they won’t know if it’s expired, ever been in an accident, sized for their child, etc. And it’s best to have one in port for excursions. My child turns 5 the week after our cruise and we’re still lugging a car seat to port.

You'll not need them in FLL but you may on your cruise stops.

unless she is planning on walking from FLL to the port or taking a shuttle bus, she will need a car seat for a 2 yo to be transported in a taxi. Sure, the taxi drivers may not care about her kid's life and health, but OP should.

I highly recommend an Evenflo Maestro or Safety 1st Guide 65/Cosco Mightyfit for travel.

Also check out the Family Cruising board on cc, and Travel with Children board on babycenter.com. Lots of useful information. When you bring the seat with you on the plane, use it on the plane - do not gate check it because it's the only way to guarantee the seat's integrity and safety. Luggage handlers throw the seats around like they do with luggage, and your seat may be damaged without you even realizing it.

P.S. When your child is 5+, you will be able to bring a no-back booster for travel. Before that, though, please keep your child safe in a harnessed seat.

I would recommend they use the car seat on the plane. A 2 year old is typically too small to just use the lap belt. And then they can use it in the taxi/uber to port.

The inflatable booster someone else mentioned has a weight limit of 40lbs I believe. We used it for my 5 year old over the summer and that did work well for an older child.

I would recommend they use the car seat on the plane. A 2 year old is typically too small to just use the lap belt. And then they can use it in the taxi/uber to port.

The inflatable booster someone else mentioned has a weight limit of 40lbs I believe. We used it for my 5 year old over the summer and that did work well for an older child.

Do you have the name of it? My son turns 5 the week after we cruise next month and he is still harnessed and will be for probably 2+ more years. But we’re driving to port and his seat is insanely heavy so I’m considering allowing a booster just for the actual cruise. He’s a huge kid, 45+ inches and over 65 lbs so size wise I’m hesitantly considering it.

Do you have the name of it? My son turns 5 the week after we cruise next month and he is still harnessed and will be for probably 2+ more years. But we’re driving to port and his seat is insanely heavy so I’m considering allowing a booster just for the actual cruise. He’s a huge kid, 45+ inches and over 65 lbs so size wise I’m hesitantly considering it.

bubble bum is the inflatable one. Another really good one for travel for children of your kid's age, size and maturity is myfold.

I personally use a $13 Harmony Youth booster that you can get at any walmart. It fits under the seat on the plane (by the way, you cannot use boosters on the plane, only harnessed seats) and is small/light enough for my kid to carry. It's also very narrow and comes with the seat belt clip (a big plus). Starting at 46" my child has had a good seat belt fit in it, but not at 43".

My kiddo was harnessed in our car way past 6 years, but when we travel and taxi trips do not exceed 5 miles we'd use the nbb. You should booster train your kiddo at home and keep reminding him about sitting straight, not leaning out to look out of the window or pick up a toy.

When the rental car rides were long, I brought along my child's Britax Frontier - bungee cord it to a luggage cart and wheel it around the airport. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be - and we used it on the plane as well.

bubble bum is the inflatable one. Another really good one for travel for children of your kid's age, size and maturity is myfold.

I personally use a $13 Harmony Youth booster that you can get at any walmart. It fits under the seat on the plane (by the way, you cannot use boosters on the plane, only harnessed seats) and is small/light enough for my kid to carry. It's also very narrow and comes with the seat belt clip (a big plus). Starting at 46" my child has had a good seat belt fit in it, but not at 43".

My kiddo was harnessed in our car way past 6 years, but when we travel and taxi trips do not exceed 5 miles we'd use the nbb. You should booster train your kiddo at home and keep reminding him about sitting straight, not leaning out to look out of the window or pick up a toy.

When the rental car rides were long, I brought along my child's Britax Frontier - bungee cord it to a luggage cart and wheel it around the airport. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be - and we used it on the plane as well.

Thanks for the booster suggestions. He’s normally harnessed in a britax frontier and we’re driving to port. We are leaving him on the ship with grandma for one port, walking to an excursion for another, and didn’t really want to lug that huge heavy seat for the last stop since we might not even go do anything. We’ll be walking around and will have to carry the seat around until we decide what to do. If he was younger we’d for sure not travel in port to avoid the seat issue.

Thanks for the booster suggestions. He’s normally harnessed in a britax frontier and we’re driving to port. We are leaving him on the ship with grandma for one port, walking to an excursion for another, and didn’t really want to lug that huge heavy seat for the last stop since we might not even go do anything. We’ll be walking around and will have to carry the seat around until we decide what to do. If he was younger we’d for sure not travel in port to avoid the seat issue.

I meant that you'd need one for travel to and from the departure port. We don't usually bring a seat/booster with us to destinations.

And we fly to FLL and then take a taxi to the port - hence, the nbb for taxi travel. When we rented a car to drive back from FLL, we brought the Frontier with us on the flight to FLL. It stashed very nicely in the cabin closet.