Cruise lanyards

EssG

OMG! Some of these answers are hilarious!

* Display of status

* Idiot for wearing on shore - "screams tourist; please rob me"

* Wearing it for "fun"

* Tacky

* Hole punched in card - (yikes, maybe sacrilegious?)

I have worn a lanyard on every one of my 23 cruises and will continue to do so. I wear if for convenience ONLY. The breakaway point comes in so handy when ordering drinks, etc. Have yet to lose a card and with the clasp still attached, it is easily returned to me - not someone else. If it's windy on shore, I just tuck it into my blouse, shirt, whatever I'm wearing to keep it from blowing around. My cruise cards have been every color of the rainbow - white, blue, gold, black. Heck, I don't even know what half the colors mean, so if I'm showing off my "status", someone is going to have to tell me what my status is! :D Enjoy your pockets, your purses, your lanyards and your wristbands everyone, and happy sails to you!

• Like 1

Whatever floats your boat!! No pun intended. Either you do or you don't wear a lanyard! I don't care for wearing a lanyard. Why? Have no idea. I never really gave it any thought and never wondered why others wore one and have no opinion about their motives. Just enjoy. The OP was just asking a question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? Now criticizing people for NOT wearing lanyards? That was the snobbery I read in the referenced post.

Like I said, to each his own. I prefer not. Milady likes her lanyard, which is why I would NEVER say anything against them. But she uses a pouch, and not a hole in the card. Nothing wrong with them, just don't FORCE me to use one. I won't. THAT was the gist of my original post.

(And, yes, I have seen people showing off their advanced status cards with lanyards. I prefer to treat everyone equally. That's why my black cards - or whatever level depending on the cruise line - stay in my pocket. And every item of clothing I wear on a ship has pockets. YMMV)

Did you really just say “Milady”?:')

*Fedora tipping intensifies...*

When I was on the meravigllia earlier this year no hole punch in cards as this destroyed the mechanism for opening cabin doors. Discovered this the hard way 😥 I also have a lanyard with a plastic pocket. I didn't need to remove it for opening doors

We found a couple of cheap lanyards we had been given for a CC sail-away party on a last cruise (the person was very organized). On the lanyards were sealabl plastic pocket holders, so we put those on our CC lanyards for this cruise. Unfortunately, one of them will have to come out to put in the slot in the room to turn on the lights, unless we can get an extra card from guest services, which we could leave partially in the slot when we leave the room.

When I was on the meravigllia earlier this year no hole punch in cards as this destroyed the mechanism for opening cabin doors. Discovered this the hard way 😥 I also have a lanyard with a plastic pocket. I didn't need to remove it for opening doors

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Thanks....will see if I can find a pocket one here in Australia and bring it with..that would mean I am covered hole or no hole :D

Thanks....will see if I can find a pocket one here in Australia and bring it with..that would mean I am covered hole or no hole :D

My husband just got a bunch on eBay cheap [emoji16] Our next cruise is on Viking and their cards can’t be punched either, so we will be wearing our lanyards with plastic pockets!

Enjoy your cruise!

We found a couple of cheap lanyards we had been given for a CC sail-away party on a last cruise (the person was very organized). On the lanyards were sealabl plastic pocket holders, so we put those on our CC lanyards for this cruise. Unfortunately, one of them will have to come out to put in the slot in the room to turn on the lights, unless we can get an extra card from guest services, which we could leave partially in the slot when we leave the room.

As far as I know you can use just about anything in those light slots. We always bring an expired gift card and they work fine. They also work on some cruise ship safes that don’t have a keypad. I have heard of people using a business card also.

As far as I know you can use just about anything in those light slots. We always bring an expired gift card and they work fine. They also work on some cruise ship safes that don’t have a keypad. I have heard of people using a business card also.

I believe that it's been posted previously that you need the actual card on Seaside. I normally used my old seapass card in similar situations.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I believe that it's been posted previously that you need the actual card on Seaside. I normally used my old seapass card in similar situations.

Yes, someone mentioned - I don´t remember who, sorry - on their review that you can´t cheat this system like you can on other ships and you do need the actual card to turn the lights on. Guess that saves energy of people just leaving cards on for the whole week.

As for lanyards, would never do as they ruin my outfit :) but that´s just me. Do as you wish, like we all should :halo:

I believe that it's been posted previously that you need the actual card on Seaside. I normally used my old seapass card in similar situations. Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

If this is true it may cause some problems for people who may not always be together during the day or night. One person must leave their card in the slot. So, that person will be without a card to access the cabin. Then that person would have to find the cabin steward to allow access to the cabin.

If this is true it may cause some problems for people who may not always be together during the day or night. One person must leave their card in the slot. So, that person will be without a card to access the cabin. Then that person would have to find the cabin steward to allow access to the cabin.

That doesn't sound right. The idea is obviously that you remove the card when you leave the cabin, so the lights get shut off.

On an Anthem of the Seas cruise, our cabin steward actually complained that we were using an old card for the lights, although we usually turned them off.

That doesn't sound right. The idea is obviously that you remove the card when you leave the cabin, so the lights get shut off.

On an Anthem of the Seas cruise, our cabin steward actually complained that we were using an old card for the lights, although we usually turned them off.

Does that shut air condition off?

My husband just got a bunch on eBay cheap [emoji16] Our next cruise is on Viking and their cards can’t be punched either, so we will be wearing our lanyards with plastic pockets!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Kath :)

If the MSC wristband will open the cabin door, then you should be able to leave your cruise card in the slot for the lights, right?

if you leave your cruise card in the slot then you cabin steward will not come in and service your room as the room occupied light will be switched on above the door.