Live: Emerald Princess - South America including Machu Picchu Explorer Land Tour

bassmaster150

Santiago = hot

Southern Chile (Puerto Mott) = mild unless you go up the volcano....then cold

Extreme Southern Chile (Punta Arenas, Tierra del Fuego, Ushuaia) = Cold...bring a very good jacket, gloves, and winter hat. High tomorrow in Punta Arenas is expected to be 6 degrees C

Buenos Aires / Montevideo = hot (35 degrees C)

We are headed to Punta Arenas right now, and if I step on my balcony, it is quite cold.

Thanks for the information....Will wear thick jackets when we leave home and take 'space/vacuum' bags to pack jackets into hand luggage en route. It seems that layering is the key.. unfortunately I am not a light packer,

Please can you tell us what people are wearing in the evenings ? I know there are three formal evenings , but tuxes/gowns ?? I have never really understood what 'smart casual' means, so this means I pack too much to cater for every possibility....think I can add 'packoholic' to my list of .....oholics !!! ( or is it aholic ????)

Hope the trip continues to go well for you.

Sorry - meant to ask thread-starter bassmaster (since HE's on the exact trip i'm booked on in feb).

Bassmaster - how much Peruvian cash did you need (for non-included meals/beverages, tipping, maybe a few little souvenirs, etc) for the land portion?

The trip I described did not include a Princess cruise. It was a Grand Circle tour of Bolivia & Peru. It included La Paz, Lake Titicaca, Puno, Cuzco, MP, Lima and a 6 day Amazon cruise from Iquitos.

Bassmaster firstly I want to say thanks for all this information.. I am really enjoying reading your posts. Is the amazing glacier you referred to the Amalia glacier? I have looked at our itinerary and I see that this is listed. I am so excited to hear that we do get close to the Glacier as this is something I have really been hoping to see. I am also keen to hear about any port hi-lights, perhaps a food you tried or a drink? A local thing I might not have read about? What is the ship like in the evenings? Like the earlier poster I need to trim my packing down ... but I do like to dress up in the evenings. Have you noticed if there are any dance lessons going on on sea days? Most of all I hope you continue to enjoy this fantastic adventure.. just a little more than a month and I will be sailing from BA doing this very trip! Thank you

Thanks for the information....Will wear thick jackets when we leave home and take 'space/vacuum' bags to pack jackets into hand luggage en route. It seems that layering is the key.. unfortunately I am not a light packer,

Please can you tell us what people are wearing in the evenings ? I know there are three formal evenings , but tuxes/gowns ?? I have never really understood what 'smart casual' means, so this means I pack too much to cater for every possibility....think I can add 'packoholic' to my list of .....oholics !!! ( or is it aholic ????)

Hope the trip continues to go well for you.

So here's the deal....My wife and I used to do the formal night stuff, but not anymore. We are from Texas. I have been wearing a button down shirt with some nice jeans and cowboy boots. We are in Club Class. Not any issues at all in any of the venues. there are some who still wear gowns and tuxes / suits...but that is not for us. It is really a mix across the board. Hope that helps.

Sorry - meant to ask thread-starter bassmaster (since HE's on the exact trip i'm booked on in feb).

Bassmaster - how much Peruvian cash did you need (for non-included meals/beverages, tipping, maybe a few little souvenirs, etc) for the land portion?

Depends upon how much you buy.....We tipped our Macchu Picchu Guide about $80US (in peruvian pesos), and our coordinator about $120 US (in peruvian pesos) because they did excellent. So maybe $400-$500 US (converted to Peruvian pesos)

Bassmaster firstly I want to say thanks for all this information.. I am really enjoying reading your posts. Is the amazing glacier you referred to the Amalia glacier? I have looked at our itinerary and I see that this is listed. I am so excited to hear that we do get close to the Glacier as this is something I have really been hoping to see. I am also keen to hear about any port hi-lights, perhaps a food you tried or a drink? A local thing I might not have read about? What is the ship like in the evenings? Like the earlier poster I need to trim my packing down ... but I do like to dress up in the evenings. Have you noticed if there are any dance lessons going on on sea days? Most of all I hope you continue to enjoy this fantastic adventure.. just a little more than a month and I will be sailing from BA doing this very trip! Thank you

No it is not the Amalia glacier. That was on our cruise. When we go to it it was heavy fog and we could not see it at all. Sad, but we will watch the videos on youtube or google the images to see what we were supposed to see. We have no control over the weather, so you make the most of what you can get. The three glaciers you pass on the Beagle Channel are spectacular and are all in Chile. Maybe someone on these boards knows the names.

dance lessons - yes

local cuisine - yes.....Guinnea Pig in Peru, as well as Lomo Saltado in Peru

Ship in the evening - dont really know as we are tired and are usually in bed early. sorry

Ushuaia has an amazing sail into and sail away

Stanley in Falklands is all about penguins...don't miss those

in Punta Arenas if you are not going to Antarctica, then make sure to go see Torres del Paine...it wont dissapoint

Bassmaster, Were you able to stop in the Falkland Islands? It's weather dependent and we missed it on our first cruise and made it on our second cruise.

The Emerald bridge cam is still stuck on December 24 so I have not been able to follow your cruise. Thanks again for your posts.

Swissotel - Lima

Tambo Del Inka Luxury Hotel - Urubamba

Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel - Aguas Calientes

Palcio Del Inka Luxury Hotel - Cusco

Thanks, I'll be doing a trip to Machu Picchu from Lima on my own before heading to Lake Titicaca and onward to the Altiplano, Uyuni Salt Flats and Atacama Desert before flying to Santiago to start a cruise.

We were on the repositioning from Lima to San Antonio. We stayed one night in Santiago and flew to Lima. I arranged my own trip to Machu Picchu, round trip airfare, 2 nights hotel in Cusco and a full day excursion to MP. Total cost $612.00. Machu Picchu was the highlight of my trip. Words fail to describe it.

OP - great report. Just a tiny correction. Peru - soles. Chile - pesos.

We were on the repositioning from Lima to San Antonio. We stayed one night in Santiago and flew to Lima. I arranged my own trip to Machu Picchu, round trip airfare, 2 nights hotel in Cusco and a full day excursion to MP. Total cost $612.00. Machu Picchu was the highlight of my trip. Words fail to describe it.

Would like to know more details re your private MP trip.

Thanks

Would like to know more details re your private MP trip.

Thanks

I booked airfare on Peruvian Airlines, leaving Lima at 2:00 pm on 12/22. Flight is 1:20 minutes. Arrived in Cusco, checked into my hotel. Taxi from airport to downtown Cusco was 20 soles. Next morning I was picked up by the tour company (arranged through Viator) at the ungodly hour of 4:10 am. A 2 hour ride to Ollantaytambo, where we switched to the Executive type train (an upgrade). Assigned seat, drinks and a snack complimentary. Train left at 6:40 am. Arrived in Aguas Calientes at around 8:15 am, walked across a bridge on the Urubamba River to a bus that took us all the way to the entrance of MP. A very narrow, switchback road surrounded by jungle. Last chance for a bathroom break since there are no facilities once you're inside. We had a wonderful guide, Jaime, very knowledgeable and attentive. Very good English and a very well educated young man. We spent around 3+ hours on the site. Exquisite cloud formation, blue skies and the green terraces plus llamas prancing around. We had a group of 8. Lots of climbing up and down. Bring WATER. It was hot in MP and cold in Cusco. Then back on the bus and into Aguas Calientes where we had lunch on a terrace by the swift Urubamba River. Lunch is on your own. I was told not to drink alcohol but I had a pisco sour. No harm done. Train back to Ollantaytambo at 2:30 pm. The scenery is magnificent. Once in Ollantaytambo we were picked up by a van taken to Cusco to our hotel.

Cost:

RT air Lima-Cusco-Lima - $168.00

Boutique hotel in Cusco for 2 nights, incl. breakfast $76.00 (total). I don't stay at luxury $500.00 a night hotels.

Excursion MP including bus, train, bus up and down the mountain, plus the guide $371.00.

The above is for a solo traveler since my husband stayed in Lima (mobility issues and high altitude problems).

My doctor prescribed Diamox for the altitude plus I drank lots of water and drank some coca tea. I had no problems at all. No headache or shortness of breath. I know of two people who were on a Princess excursion to MP who got sick and could not make it.

I spent the next day in Cusco during one of their busiest Xmas festivities. A serendipity moment.

P.S. I must say that I do not recommend Peruvian Airlines. The flight from Lima to Cusco was delayed and delayed and then canceled. Rescheduled on a flight 31/2 hours later. Coincidentally, the same thing happened to a friend of mine the week before! The flight back was OK. The planes are old and tired. I must admit the crew was very nice and they served complimentary drinks and sandwiches. I would pay a bit more and fly another airlines.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

If any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

Bassmaster, Thanks for your reports. We've done this itinerary twice, once with the Machu Picchu tour after the cruise. We really enjoyed the entire trip and think Princess does a great job with their cruise tours.

We have friends who are on this cruise with you. I've been trying to follow their trip on the Emerald Bridge Cam, but unfortunately, it seems to be stuck on December 24.

I hope you are able to tender into the Falkland Islands. We missed it the first time, but made it the second. The penguins are wonderful and we really enjoyed our all day tour with Patrick Watts.

Continue to have a wonderful cruise and I'll be watching for more posts from you. Thank you so much for taking the time.

We were able to tender in the Falkland Islands...a bit of a rough ride, but we made it. Went to see the King Penguins at Volunteer Point. About a 2.5 hour EXTREME 4x4 drive to get there, but definitely well worth it. You are inches away from the penguins!!!

Bassmaster; really have enjoyed reading your posts. Unfortunately, will cost me much money as now I have to do this trip. Thanks for taking the time.

Expensive...yes. However, when you are done....the memories are priceless. My wife and I are well traveled....this has simply been the best trip of our entire lives...no kidding.....absolutely amazing!!!

Bassmaster, Were you able to stop in the Falkland Islands? It's weather dependent and we missed it on our first cruise and made it on our second cruise.

The Emerald bridge cam is still stuck on December 24 so I have not been able to follow your cruise. Thanks again for your posts.

Yup...King Penguins. :-). Will never forget the experience!!!

We will leave for this cruise on Feb 5th and are also going to Machu Picchu independently saving us $$$. We are flying into Lima from the US, flying the next am to Cusco and going to Machu Picchu via train. Staying in Machu Picchu 2 nights 3 days, heading back to Cusco for 2 nights 3 days and then flying to Santiago. I just this morning purchased my Machu Picchu tickets for am and pm so were now good to go. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Machu Picchu as it's been on my bucket list for years. It really wasn't difficult to set this tour up independently, so I'd encourage others to do so.

I booked airfare on Peruvian Airlines, leaving Lima at 2:00 pm on 12/22. Flight is 1:20 minutes. Arrived in Cusco, checked into my hotel. Taxi from airport to downtown Cusco was 20 soles. Next morning I was picked up by the tour company (arranged through Viator) at the ungodly hour of 4:10 am. A 2 hour ride to Ollantaytambo, where we switched to the Executive type train (an upgrade). Assigned seat, drinks and a snack complimentary. Train left at 6:40 am. Arrived in Aguas Calientes at around 8:15 am, walked across a bridge on the Urubamba River to a bus that took us all the way to the entrance of MP. A very narrow, switchback road surrounded by jungle. Last chance for a bathroom break since there are no facilities once you're inside. We had a wonderful guide, Jaime, very knowledgeable and attentive. Very good English and a very well educated young man. We spent around 3+ hours on the site. Exquisite cloud formation, blue skies and the green terraces plus llamas prancing around. We had a group of 8. Lots of climbing up and down. Bring WATER. It was hot in MP and cold in Cusco. Then back on the bus and into Aguas Calientes where we had lunch on a terrace by the swift Urubamba River. Lunch is on your own. I was told not to drink alcohol but I had a pisco sour. No harm done. Train back to Ollantaytambo at 2:30 pm. The scenery is magnificent. Once in Ollantaytambo we were picked up by a van taken to Cusco to our hotel.

Cost:

RT air Lima-Cusco-Lima - $168.00

Boutique hotel in Cusco for 2 nights, incl. breakfast $76.00 (total). I don't stay at luxury $500.00 a night hotels.

Excursion MP including bus, train, bus up and down the mountain, plus the guide $371.00.

The above is for a solo traveler since my husband stayed in Lima (mobility issues and high altitude problems).

My doctor prescribed Diamox for the altitude plus I drank lots of water and drank some coca tea. I had no problems at all. No headache or shortness of breath. I know of two people who were on a Princess excursion to MP who got sick and could not make it.

I spent the next day in Cusco during one of their busiest Xmas festivities. A serendipity moment.

P.S. I must say that I do not recommend Peruvian Airlines. The flight from Lima to Cusco was delayed and delayed and then canceled. Rescheduled on a flight 31/2 hours later. Coincidentally, the same thing happened to a friend of mine the week before! The flight back was OK. The planes are old and tired. I must admit the crew was very nice and they served complimentary drinks and sandwiches. I would pay a bit more and fly another airlines.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

If any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

Your comment about Peruvian Air has me concerned. I was a little apprehensive regarding them anyway but had no other options that would work when I booked. I've allowed almost 4 1/2 hours for us after arrival in Cusco to get to Ollantaytambo and board the train. Praying we make it, otherwise were up a creek!

Your comment about Peruvian Air has me concerned. I was a little apprehensive regarding them anyway but had no other options that would work when I booked. I've allowed almost 4 1/2 hours for us after arrival in Cusco to get to Ollantaytambo and board the train. Praying we make it, otherwise were up a creek!

We flew LATAM and they were good. They have daily flights there

Ok so PENGUINS.....here’s the deal. We did two shore excursions that involved Penguins. One in the Falkland Islands and the other in Puerto Madryn. Both excursions involve driving about 2.5 a 3 hours IN EACH DIRECTION. Here is what you get:

Puerto Madryn - Magellanic Penguins by the thousands spread out in the desert every couple of feet based upon their nesting areas

Falkland Islands provided you go to Volunteer Point - Magellanic Penguins, Gentoo Penguins, King Penguins all in one place.

Pros for Puerto Madryn....drive is easy, Penguins are everywhere....you have to be careful not to step on one...they are in the desert....who would have ever thought hat you would see a penguin in a desert.

Cons for Puerto Madryn - you cannot go all the way down to the beach.....only one species of penguin.

Pros for Falkland Islands - multiple species of penguins.....you have to be careful not to step on any....they group together which looks cool....you can go all the way down to the beach and watch them enter and exit the water (they are tiny torpedoes).

Cons for Falkland Islands (this is for Volunteer Point)....the drive up there is tough. 5 people per Land Rover and it is 2.5 hours of driving wii about 1.5 hours of that really EXTREME 4x4 off road driving....to be honest, there is no road. The caravan drivers pretty much make it up as they drive along.

Given the chance to do it again, we would definitely pick the Falkland Island Volunteer Point penguins again. The drive was crazy but exciting, and the multiple species of penguin was a bonus...especially the king penguin. Very colorful and large.

We used a tour company last February. The package included airfare from Los Angles to Lima, Lima to Cusco and finally Cusco to Santiago where we boarded the Crown for a Valparaiso to BA cruise. We spent 2 nights in Lima, 2 nights in the Sacred Valley, and 2 nights in Cusco. Breakfast was included each day as well a 2 lunches. Dinner was on our own which we found to be inexpensive and delicious at various restaurants. Tours were included in Lima, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. One tour was just the driver, the guide and us and the other tours were groups of 6. The guides were excellent. All transfers were included and they were private - just the 2 of us. The hotels were 3 star and were clean, safe and comfortable. Hotel upgrade was offered but we did not think it was necessary. Cost per person, including air fare from Los Angeles to Lima and Cusco to Santiago, was $1,960 pp. All air travel was on Avianca which we found to be very good. Email me if you want more details.