Live: Emerald Princess - South America including Machu Picchu Explorer Land Tour

bassmaster150

Thank you for posting and glad you made it home safely. Our first time in the Buenos Aires airport will be at the end of February and I'm assuming that all of the airlines won't check you in until 3 hours before the flight. Which means we may be there 4 hours before we can check in. Are there areas to sit in the unsecure area? And places to eat / drink?

Thank you for posting and glad you made it home safely. Our first time in the Buenos Aires airport will be at the end of February and I'm assuming that all of the airlines won't check you in until 3 hours before the flight. Which means we may be there 4 hours before we can check in. Are there areas to sit in the unsecure area? And places to eat / drink?

Kind of...but it was very crowded so people were siting on the floor. What we did was to go to a coffee shop there and get a few drinks...Havana was the name. We then just sat there and talked about our journey until we hit the three hour window and then checked in. Unfortunately at the time we didn't know that the baggage handlers were on strike, so it made for a very interesting journey home.

IMPORTANT NOTE.....this was kind of interesting but during the port talk for Buenos Aires, the speaker was very keen to repeat himself over and over again to be careful in Buenos Aires. He went as far as to say to be sure to "de-bling" yourself, and don't look like you have money / are a tourist. Just wanted to point that out. If others on the boards here can discredit this info a let people know if it is safe, please let them know. I am just forwarding on the information that I was given.

I spent a few days there a couple of years ago pre cruise and I must say that all the warnings that I'd read beforehand were a bit worrying. We did a lot of walking and got lost a couple of times and each time we were approached by locals with an offer to help. We tried not to look like obvious tourists and didn't carry cameras or maps but I suppose they heard us talking. We were predictably leery of course but their offers were definitely genuine. Maybe we were just lucky and the fact that we'd left all our valuables at the hotel and had little money with us made a difference too. This was my experience and I'm happy that it was a positive one however I'm sure that there is good reason for the warnings too. The truth is though that I've heard very similar warnings for Barcelona, Rome and other European cities..so I guess all we can do is proceed with caution.

IMPORTANT NOTE - REALLY IMPORTANT.....at some point during this cruise around Ushuaia, you will cruise the Beagle Channel in the morning (Santiago to BA), or maybe evening (BA to Santiago). DO NOT MISS THIS!!!! It was not really announced but if you are on the Santiago to BA sailing, make sure you are on the left side (Port) of the ship, and if you are sailing from BA to Santiago, be in the right side (Starbord) of the ship. You will pass by 3 glaciers...two of which will absolutely blow your mind (especially the cliff hanging one (about 500-800 ft tall hanging on the side of the mountain into the ocean). You get really close and it is amazing!!!!!

I so agree, the two times we did this trip we spent the entire time enjoying the views. We skipped dinner and got room service so we would not miss anything.

I have written extensively in my blog the 2 trips we have done to south america. First was in 2012. Rio to San Francisco. Second was fort Lauderdale to LA 49 days in 2014. Blig link is in my signature.

We went to Peru early 2017 for a 10 night tour with a Shaman. That entire 10 days was $3,000 and included all accommodations meals, transport, sites, and ceremonies. It was life changing for the 5 of us on the tour.

We flew LAN airlines, yes basic but good to Puno, then Cusco then to Lima. Delays did not happen to us, but do happen regularily due to low level cloud in Cusco.

We are heading out next year again on the 49 day cruise. Again we can not wait.

Vickie

We were on the same cruise for 31 days from LA. Great info from you experiences bassmaster.

We did Buenos Aires on our own the first day, riding buses and walking and never once felt unsafe. The second day we did a disembark tour to the Estancia, it was fun, lots of food, free wine and beer, dancing and horse riding presentations. Drop off at airport. Also a short trip to Recoleta cemetery. It was okay, not sure it is worth the $189?

Same thing in Lima, we were told not to go ashore independently, but we did and it was awesome. We rode the buses, walked and never felt unsafe, even when we returned to the ship late the first night. All the local people were very nice and very helpful. We saw and did everything the tours did, plus more for about $10 for transportation. I do speak a bit of spanish, so it may be hard if you don't.

The ports were not as good as I expected and it was really my least enjoyable cruise (fun, but not the best IMO). The entertainment was horrible for the most part. The cruise staff was awesome and always fun, but the shows (filled up 45 minutes early) were definitely bad. That was unfortunate as we have always enjoyed the shows. Not much variety (just bad impression singers, etc) Doug Funk was awesome, but only in explorer's lounge.

We had the misfortune of being in Punta Arenas on Christmas Day and Montevideo on NY day, so everything was closed, or at least 95% of things were.It was okay, but something to consider if that happens on a future cruise. In Puerto Montt we took the local bus to Puerto Varas, easy and fun. No views of volcano because of clouds. We did the whole trip DIY, as we always do, and it was okay, but not the usual awesome. If you do this cruise, I would book excursions for most ports. There were always vendors at ports, much cheaper than Princess, or even online, but, you would probably need to speak some spanish to get the good deals. Also, in Stanley, we had the hottest weather! It was a beautiful day and smooth sailing, IMO. We walked to Gypsy Cove and on the way saw King Penguins near the ship wreck. They are not usually there, so it was a nice treat and the best part of the day. Going to Gypsy Cove, there is a shuttle bus that take you there and the line to come back was long, so be prepared to wait if you take the shuttle. We had walked to the cove and were going to take the shuttle back, but the wait was over an hour. No taxis around, so we walked back....

We were also in the mess at the airport with the baggage handler strike in long lines for hours. Finally made it to our gate and our flight to EWR was cancelled due to weather. Boy, there was no help what so ever from United and they left us stranded with no information or help. BAD experience, made it home after 2 nights sleeping in 2 different airports on the floor. It was not united airlines fault about the weather, but it was their fault they way they handled it. Some people stuck there had purchased air through EZ air and when they called them, they did not help them, from what they said. It was a big mess and a bad way to end a cruise. I am trying to get my trip insurance and United to help pay for our very expensive replacement ticket to fly home. I have never had quite an experience as I did at EZE airport. No where to seat, no help from anyone(even information booth were not helpful), mass confusion in the main area. Once you are past security and immigration it is nicer, but in the open, unsecure area where you have to check in and stay until 3 hours before your flight, it was a mess............all night long. I know, we were there all night trying to get a flight out of BA to USA. We are younger, but seeing 80 year old people from our cruise, no smart phones, no seats, no help from anyone, sleeping on the floor............ It was scary really. I loved BA, but will probably never return if we have to go to that airport again.

Overall, okay would be my rating of cruise on the Emerald. I would not do it again that is for sure. But, having said that, I am glad you had a great time and have shared such great information for all the cruisers that is why CC is great.

Same thing in Lima, we were told not to go ashore independently, but we did and it was awesome. We rode the buses, walked and never felt unsafe, even when we returned to the ship late the first night. All the local people were very nice and very helpful. We saw and did everything the tours did, plus more for about $10 for transportation. I do speak a bit of spanish, so it may be hard if you don't.

Assuming you overnighted in Lima on the Emerald, do you know how late you could go back to the ship? Or how late the Princess shuttle ran? We'd like to go out for dinner that night independently and it would be nice if we didn't have some curfew or something we had to make to get back to ship. Many thanks!

need some suggestions from those currently on (or who have been on) the Emerald... I need a place fairly open with low traffic to do tai chi on sea days. I prefer outside (if it's not too cold/rainy), but an inside local would be ok too. On the Sea Princess, we originally tried the sports deck, but found it too windy up high with no wind-breaking ship walls between us and the open ocean) I will check at the desk when i board (too see if there's a dance floor or aerobics room we can use on rain-days) but need a likely spot to meet ppl at that first sea day (and don't want to have to call a whack of ppl the day i board the ship, lol). Anywhere come to mind? if so, please let me know.

On the LA to Santiago leg there was a large group doing Tai Chi in Club Fusion before Zumba started at 9. I do no know when they started. It was not an activity announced in the Patter.

Assuming you overnighted in Lima on the Emerald, do you know how late you could go back to the ship? Or how late the Princess shuttle ran? We'd like to go out for dinner that night independently and it would be nice if we didn't have some curfew or something we had to make to get back to ship. Many thanks!

On LA to Santiago there was a yearly balancing test that the ship needed to do so no access between midnight and 4am. It sounded like except for that, boarding would take place all night.

The mall shuttle stopped at 11pm. Gangway was pulled up, as mentioned from 12-4am. I am not sure what time the shuttle started up again after 4am. Also, there is a port shuttle and a mall shuttle. We took the mall shuttle (San Miguel mall). Others who took the port shuttle said it was a mess and stood outside for over an hour waiting for a shuttle because everytime the mall shuttle came, it was full. Finally a bus was sent for them.

The mall shuttle stopped at 11pm. Gangway was pulled up, as mentioned from 12-4am. I am not sure what time the shuttle started up again after 4am. Also, there is a port shuttle and a mall shuttle. We took the mall shuttle (San Miguel mall). Others who took the port shuttle said it was a mess and stood outside for over an hour waiting for a shuttle because everytime the mall shuttle came, it was full. Finally a bus was sent for them.

On LA to Santiago there was a yearly balancing test that the ship needed to do so no access between midnight and 4am. It sounded like except for that, boarding would take place all night.

Thank you both very much for your replies. Hopefully the shuttle runs later but worst case, we can live with 11 pm. I assume that means the last shuttle left the mall at 11 pm.

Also, do you know approximately how long it takes to get from the ship to the mall?

Thank you both very much for your replies. Hopefully the shuttle runs later but worst case, we can live with 11 pm. I assume that means the last shuttle left the mall at 11 pm.

Also, do you know approximately how long it takes to get from the ship to the mall?

In traffic it took about 40 minutes maybe. At night with not that much traffic, maybe 25? I am not positive, but I think it was 11pm, or possibly 10:45 leaving the mall. We were there about 10:15, so I cannot say what happened after that. But, in the patter is said what time the last shuttle was. Leave lots of time to get to places, traffic in Lima is INSANE!!!!

Edited by Level six

How long is the walk to Gypsy Cove?

It was longer than I thought it would be, but still a nice walk. I had mapped the walk before leaving, so it made it easier. Ask at the information center how to walk there and the person will point out the trail. You walk along the road for a bit, then turn onto a walking trail, so that made it much shorter than walking on the road the whole way. The destination expert said it was an hour walk, but, it took us longer because we saw the King penguins and stayed there a bit. I would say it is 4 miles one way maybe? But, there are lots of signs showing the way and it was a beautiful day, nice and sunny. You pass by some fun things like a cemetery on the hill, lots of ship wrecked boats, all kinds of birds, farms, and beautiful scenery. There are a few hills, but not difficult to walk up and down. Then, there is a walk at Gypsy Cove too. All in all, on my fitbit, it said we walked 11 miles that day. Not too bad over considering when we got back we walked all over the small town too. In BA we walked 15 miles one day, haha. But, we like to do that. If you are able to walk, it is the fun way to do it really, IMO, you get to see more and most importantly after a 31 day cruise, you get away from people (haha) and get to see the town up close and personal.

Thank you for your most excellent review.

Can you tell a little about the condition of the Emerald? It has been years since we cruised on the Emerald with most of our recent cruises on the Regal or Royal with the Crown and Golden thrown in.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I so agree, the two times we did this trip we spent the entire time enjoying the views. We skipped dinner and got room service so we would not miss anything.

I have written extensively in my blog the 2 trips we have done to south america. First was in 2012. Rio to San Francisco. Second was fort Lauderdale to LA 49 days in 2014. Blig link is in my signature.

We went to Peru early 2017 for a 10 night tour with a Shaman. That entire 10 days was $3,000 and included all accommodations meals, transport, sites, and ceremonies. It was life changing for the 5 of us on the tour.

We flew LAN airlines, yes basic but good to Puno, then Cusco then to Lima. Delays did not happen to us, but do happen regularily due to low level cloud in Cusco.

We are heading out next year again on the 49 day cruise. Again we can not wait.

Vickie

Thank you--I am putting the room service idea on my notes for the trip--great idea:)

It was longer than I thought it would be, but still a nice walk. I had mapped the walk before leaving, so it made it easier. Ask at the information center how to walk there and the person will point out the trail. You walk along the road for a bit, then turn onto a walking trail, so that made it much shorter than walking on the road the whole way. The destination expert said it was an hour walk, but, it took us longer because we saw the King penguins and stayed there a bit. I would say it is 4 miles one way maybe? But, there are lots of signs showing the way and it was a beautiful day, nice and sunny. You pass by some fun things like a cemetery on the hill, lots of ship wrecked boats, all kinds of birds, farms, and beautiful scenery. There are a few hills, but not difficult to walk up and down. Then, there is a walk at Gypsy Cove too. All in all, on my fitbit, it said we walked 11 miles that day. Not too bad over considering when we got back we walked all over the small town too. In BA we walked 15 miles one day, haha. But, we like to do that. If you are able to walk, it is the fun way to do it really, IMO, you get to see more and most importantly after a 31 day cruise, you get away from people (haha) and get to see the town up close and personal.

That is great information - thank you so much!

Thank you for your most excellent review.

Can you tell a little about the condition of the Emerald? It has been years since we cruised on the Emerald with most of our recent cruises on the Regal or Royal with the Crown and Golden thrown in.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK, so it is an older ship, but I thought it was in great shape. The food was good, the venues were good, and we had an enjoyable time. Is there rust as stuff in places?? Sure...but nothing to ruin our trip or anything like that.

Bassmaster150, we've truly appreciated following you and your cruise. Hoping you still plan to writer an overall summary of your experience. Thanks again for the great info and tips. Shep1515

I will get around to it...just been really busy since I returned back home. We have never been gone for over three weeks before so not only did I need to unbury from work stuff.....but we also had to unbury from life stuff as well.

Thank you so much for your posting of your cruise. We leave on the Emerald Princess on January 31st with a few days in Buenos Aires before hand. My husband and I are so looking forward to it! Thanks for the insight.

You will have a lot of fun.....don't forget to go see the penguins....they are amazing!!!