Sugar Train or Island Tour

BosoxI

We have avoided the sugar train because of some rather negative posts made by people over the years. But on our last Cruise one of our acquaintances spoke so highly of it that now we are reconsidering. Given the choice between the train or an Island Tour, what would be your preference?

The train does not stop on its trip around part of the island.Depending on which trip you are on you may begin at the station near the airport and end near Sandy Point. The passengers that are on that trip may have several options for the return to the ship. You may take the buses at no up-charge or a higher priced option of returning by boat. If you start at Sandy Point you will end up back at the station near the airport. Your price will include the transportation to & from the ship. You will get a different view of the island on the train compared to an island tour by van or bus.

How did you book it? We were hoping to do this on our cruise in March but it’s not available through the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this excursion last year (with the return by catamaran) and loved it! It was a ship’s tour. If not offered by your ship, I’d Google “sugar train St. Kitts” to see how else to book.

We did this excursion last year (with the return by catamaran) and loved it! It was a ship’s tour. If not offered by your ship, I’d Google “sugar train St. Kitts” to see how else to book.

We also did the same excursion last week (Scenic Railway + Catamaran) and thoroughly enjoyed both - the train is a unique experience that can't be duplicated anywhere else in the Caribbean!

We also did the same excursion last week (Scenic Railway + Catamaran) and thoroughly enjoyed both - the train is a unique experience that can't be duplicated anywhere else in the Caribbean!

We want to do the sugar train but are wondering if it is worth paying the extra to return by catamaran rather by coach?Did you feel the catamaran added to experience or on reflection would you have been happy to pay less and return by coach?

We want to do the sugar train but are wondering if it is worth paying the extra to return by catamaran rather by coach?Did you feel the catamaran added to experience or on reflection would you have been happy to pay less and return by coach?

We would have been better off returning by coach.

The train was not crowded at all BUT the catamaran was packed with not enough seating in the shade.

Haven’t been having much luck. The website for the train says to book through your hotel or ship. I thought Viator would work, but they don’t show the date we are going to be there.

Haven’t been having much luck. The website for the train says to book through your hotel or ship. I thought Viator would work, but they don’t show the date we are going to be there.

It's my understanding that one can only book through a ship excursion. That makes sense, as the train holds at least 100 people, with a staff of 12 or more, so it's different from a taxi driver who can take a couple or a family on a tour on a moment's notice. Too bad your ship does not offer it. It was a good excursion. Maybe it will be added once you are onboard. You could ask your shore excursion staff.

Can anyone tell me if the train and return bus have any accessibility for those with limited mobility?

Both the van and the train have about three steps that must be climbed in order to board. One lady in our group had a very hard time with that. In addition, there are two levels on the train, and for those who wish to sit on the upper level, an additional climb up a narrow spiral stairway is required.

It's my understanding that one can only book through a ship excursion. That makes sense, as the train holds at least 100 people, with a staff of 12 or more, so it's different from a taxi driver who can take a couple or a family on a tour on a moment's notice. Too bad your ship does not offer it. It was a good excursion. Maybe it will be added once you are onboard. You could ask your shore excursion staff.

Viking came through! On the day we could start booking our excursions, they finally put up excursions for St Kitts. The Sugar Cane Train was one of those. So excited - we are booked! We are train buffs so this will be fun for us!

Viking came through! On the day we could start booking our excursions, they finally put up excursions for St Kitts. The Sugar Cane Train was one of those. So excited - we are booked! We are train buffs so this will be fun for us!

Have a great time, I enjoyed it.

Hi. I’ve done the Sugar Train and Catamaran excursion twice and loved it both times. On the train, you’ll see wild pigs running thru the brush, Shetland ponies that run together as if they’re facing the train, beautiful natural flora and the very best: children run out of the different schools, run to the fence, and eagerly wave to us as the train goes by. They are precious to watch. You’ll see workers on the hill using very old fashioned tools, bringing crops in and thatching the wild grasses. So many of them, stop to look up and wave as we go by. Then you’re also up and close (within a few feet of many native homes), and the obvious poverty of how they live takes your breath away......because they too stand or sit in the dirt or tiny porches to wave and smile at us as we slowly go by. They are all just so friendly.

When you finally leave the train, you leave with a smile.... possibly aided by the yummy rum drinks (free), that they bring around oh so frequently!! But honestly, the people are just so gracious and heartwarming. We are all so very fortunate to live as we do. The train puts you up close and personal with the reality of so many other parts of the world that have no concept of life as we know it.

So yes, IMHO, the train ride is so worth it. And the catamaran just completes the day, seeing the ocean view of the island, from the comfort and relaxation and gentle breezes from the catamaran. Yum

• 3 weeks later...