Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

Here is a video of the Biscayne Bay Buffet. It actually looks pretty decent, I thought it would be much smaller.

An example of Celebrity's and Princess Buffet in the evening. Been on Celebrity and Princess many times and there is no comparison between Celebrity, Princess and MSC buffets. Make your own decision.

I am not flaming MSC, just showing the difference between 3 cruise lines and the offerings.

An example of Celebrity's and Princess Buffet in the evening. Been on Celebrity and Princess many times and there is no comparison between Celebrity, Princess and MSC buffets. Make your own decision.

I am not flaming MSC, just showing the difference between 3 cruise lines and the offerings.

That looks awesome. But then again, as you said there is no comparison. Even though I have not sailed Princess or X, I know they offer a superior product, of course with a higher cost. I don't expect the Princess experience at an MSC price.

Actually those 2 are next up on my list. Before booking the Seaside, I almost booked the Summit out of San Juan to Miami. I went with MSC because it was cheaper and have been in love with the Seaside since the first renderings came out.

I completely agree the deck 16 buffet for dinner was smaller than we were used to, however, they did have a full salad bar, and at least 1 choice from the MDR menu every night. I ate the duck with vanilla sauce of some sort from the MDR menu up there one night. There was always a fish filet option as well, and 2 different pastas. You had to look carefully at the whole buffet to see everything as the food was tucked in every nook and cranny, but it was a full meal, and not just burgers, dogs, and pizza. The only thing really missing from the traditional dinner buffet was a carving station, and maybe a bit more variety of main courses. As far as the 450 seats, it was more than enough as it was always empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not impressed; no carving station, 1 (maybe more) MDR choices? I watched the video of the Biscayne Buffet; nice for a day time option but for nightime looks like it is 1/3rd size of buffet on Divina. If the 450 seats is adequate that is the area they should be using for any MDR overflow, the main buffet on 8 should be open for casual dining as a buffet with full assortment.

I am hoping MSC genuinely take feedback from guests and make some corrections.

That looks awesome. But then again, as you said there is no comparison. Even though I have not sailed Princess or X, I know they offer a superior product, of course with a higher cost. I don't expect the Princess experience at an MSC price.

Actually those 2 are next up on my list. Before booking the Seaside, I almost booked the Summit out of San Juan to Miami. I went with MSC because it was cheaper and have been in love with the Seaside since the first renderings came out.

Yes, most of the time MSC is cheaper. However, like everything, if you shop around you can get deals.

Examples of our cruises in 2017 which were all balconys, except as noted, and OBC subtracted from price of cruise. This does not include Insurance or Airfare, but the cruise and any additional perks that we paid for.

MSC Divina $2,000 w/Beverage Pkg

X Reflection $2,100 Elite+ Don’t need Beverage Pkg

Regal Princess $1,500 Elite

RCI Anthem OTS Virtual Balcony $1,900 Diamond+ Don’t need Beverage Pkg

RCI RCI Harmony OTS $2,100 Don’t need Beverage Pkg

MSC Divina Aurea $2,300 w/Aurea perks +

NCL Escape $2,100 Mini Suite w/Beverage Pkg & 3 Meal Dining Pkg

As you can see prices are very comparable.

There are tricks to booking a cruise to get a more reasonable price. We would rather cruise more times a year than go for the higher category cabins. JMHO!

Yes, most of the time MSC is cheaper. However, like everything, if you shop around you can get deals.

Examples of our cruises in 2017 which were all balconys, except as noted, and OBC subtracted from price of cruise. This does not include Insurance or Airfare, but the cruise and any additional perks that we paid for.

MSC Divina $2,000 w/Beverage Pkg

X Reflection $2,100 Elite+ Don’t need Beverage Pkg

Regal Princess $1,500 Elite

RCI Anthem OTS Virtual Balcony $1,900 Diamond+ Don’t need Beverage Pkg

RCI RCI Harmony OTS $2,100 Don’t need Beverage Pkg

MSC Divina Aurea $2,300 w/Aurea perks +

NCL Escape $2,100 Mini Suite w/Beverage Pkg & 3 Meal Dining Pkg

As you can see prices are very comparable.

There are tricks to booking a cruise to get a more reasonable price. We would rather cruise more times a year than go for the higher category cabins. JMHO!

Of course this also factors in loyalty perks that many haven’t achieved yet, and cruising at times of year that many people with young kids (and teachers) can’t cruise!

Of course this also factors in loyalty perks that many haven’t achieved yet, and cruising at times of year that many people with young kids (and teachers) can’t cruise! Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, i agree with what you say. I was just trying to give my history and examples, nothing else. I am sure others may get better rates and perks. It all depends on too many factors.

Of course this also factors in loyalty perks that many haven’t achieved yet, and cruising at times of year that many people with young kids (and teachers) can’t cruise!

That's right. If we want the drinks package we have to pay for it and it really adds up, specially for our currency exhange.

Luckily we can cruise on any season, but still a long way to go for those loyalty perks. Still looking for our go to cruise line, just started cruising in 2013 (I'm 27) and have tried to do at least one each year, doing our 6th in 20 days. Right now no line will give us anything that we did not pay for -but MSC who upgraded us from interior to balcony out of the blue! Certainly didn't expect that on our first cruise with them. Their ships are beautiful and I really hope I love it with them. If not, Celebrity and Princess are up next :hearteyes:

Perhaps MSC wants more people in the dining room at the evening meal.

The menus posted so far have quite a variety, and there's also room service, specialty restaurants and yacht club so not all 4,000+ people will be wanting buffet. If 10-15% opt for buffet in the evening, with any time seating starting at 6:30 and a faster turn over than a dining room, 450 seats is likely more than adequate.

I also think people are being fussy about wanting more variety than is necessary. There seem to be lots of options. If people can't find something that appeals, because it's stuff they aren't used to eating, maybe it's time to try something different for a change. That goes for kids too. My experience is that kids will eat what they are exposed to and if it's only chicken nuggets and french fries that they get at home, expanding their horizons may be the best thing that parents can do.

Perhaps MSC wants more people in the dining room at the evening meal.

The menus posted so far have quite a variety, and there's also room service, specialty restaurants and yacht club so not all 4,000+ people will be wanting buffet. If 10-15% opt for buffet in the evening, with any time seating starting at 6:30 and a faster turn over than a dining room, 450 seats is likely more than adequate.

I also think people are being fussy about wanting more variety than is necessary. There seem to be lots of options. If people can't find something that appeals, because it's stuff they aren't used to eating, maybe it's time to try something different for a change. That goes for kids too. My experience is that kids will eat what they are exposed to and if it's only chicken nuggets and french fries that they get at home, expanding their horizons may be the best thing that parents can do.

So expand horizons at the kiddy buffet with less options than the larger buffet?

And still, where is the 20 hours of buffet dining as advertised?

How about some of us just want what MSC built up in the advertising? Why would I pay for a limited room service menu instead of enjoying the food I've already paid for?

Payroll is always a big expense.

In my field, the 1st thing cut is payroll.

Just about everything I read about the Seaside makes me think that it is understaffed. To me, it seems that this is the root of many of the comments so far.

Is that because they are in the process of training and hiring or is it their business model for the American market?

So you're telling someone who's spent thousands of dollars to go on vacation that they should suck it up and eat what's put in front of them? Nice. And if they go to the buffet and the limiited selection isn't something they'll eat, go to the MDR and spend more time dining than the guest wanted. Is this what they call European hospitality?

And let's not forget about the lack of the everyday choices on the MDR menu on several nights.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

For those on board this sailing are the children still menu-less in the MDR? I was only offered chicken nuggets most of the week, by the last day I got very insistent that there could be something else for kids (as I was even told the Mac n cheese they always put in the Biscayne Bay buffet for kids wasn’t available) it was like a business negotiation, I was finally able to get a plain pasta no sauce or anything just plain pasta for a child - who knew it was that difficult to get plain pasta in an Italian ship! Lol

The MSC for me app, under Things to do->Restaurants->Ipanema or Seashore says..."and special menus for kids" !!! LOL

My experience is that kids will eat what they are exposed to and if it's only chicken nuggets and french fries that they get at home, expanding their horizons may be the best thing that parents can do.

I think the problem is Spastica, the Biscayne Bay buffet on deck 16 *only* seems to have chicken nuggets and french fries!

Okay, I exaggerate a little - however with the dinner (aka post-5.30pm) photos being shown on another site owned by Mark Zuckerberg :P it seems very dominated by "fried" kids-style food...which aligns with what the Biscayne Bay was advertised as, a "kids/family restaurant"

This means if you're an adult, you're also stuck with that kind of food too - which I believe is what many people are concerned about.

So you're telling someone who's spent thousands of dollars to go on vacation that they should suck it up and eat what's put in front of them? Nice. And if they go to the buffet and the limiited selection isn't something they'll eat, go to the MDR and spend more time dining than the guest wanted. Is this what they call European hospitality?

And let's not forget about the lack of the everyday choices on the MDR menu on several nights.

Why would anyone have to "suck it up and eat what's put in front of them"? Last I checked, there was a main dining room (with pretty extensive, varied menus), 4 specialty restaurants (which all look great), 2 buffets at lunch and 1 at dinner, amazing pizza, dessert bars and ice cream/gelato, and room service. I'm sorry, but if you cannot find something you like to eat with all of those options, you should not go on vacation. You should probably visit a grocery store instead.

Hardly being told to eat what's in front of you! As previous post points out, plenty of options. You are complaining about a buffet that you haven't personally seen or been to, (which many others have said has plenty of options, despite what some say here), that may in fact be open when you cruise (and I suspect it will be) and that your thousands of dollars entitle you to whatever you think you "should" have. Sounds very Westchester County to me. Looking at your upcoming cruises you might want to consider travelling YC next time. We will be on Seaside in YC two weeks after you, and I am not worried at all. Hope you find a way to enjoy the trip!

Why can't kids eat off the main menu?

Because many american kids eat-pasta-burger-hot dog only at home and they will not eat anything else in restaurant .

When my DD was 2 years old, one woman kept bothering me how I make my DD to eat all this food in DR? :confused: she saw her eating "EVEN soup" :rolleyes: .

Unbelievable!!! After 216 postings MSC still has not changed the Buffets and the selections in each one. Let's get a grip and just let MSC take it from here. We have all given MSC something to consider in regards to what each of us think. Now for them to think about it and do what is necessary.

We all have a choice after our next MSC cruise. We can continue to cruise with MSC or go to another cruise line. That is why we choose to do different cruise lines over the year. We don't have a favorite as they all have something to offer.

Happy Cruising!!!!!

Looking at your upcoming cruises you might want to consider travelling YC next time. We will be on Seaside in YC two weeks after you, and I am not worried at all. Hope you find a way to enjoy the trip!

Yes, I should have booked YC. In fact, i could have switched to an inside YC a few weeks ago but didn't and now regret it. No one told me that MSC was a budget line until I started reading posts in this thread making excuses for stuff. I thought with their status match program they were trying to convince seasoned travelers that they were a viable alternative to the major US lines. Apparently not. But I'll find out in a few weeks.

I am in a YC Inside and am happy, I decided to forgo the suite for it! What i learned from Divina, is that you YC or nothing, with MSC.

At the same time that the inside YC became available, the huge front corner suite on deck 9 with the huge balcony also opened up and I decided to switch to that instead. Plus I wasn't really sure that my wife would be happy with an inside cabin. Hopefully things will turn out OK. Despite my complaining here, we actually don't eat dinner at the buffet, although I have been known to walk thru and try stuff.

After the wonderful dining room and buffet experience on HAL. I dont think MSC is for us,

I don't think HAL's dining room or buffet experience is all that great, so I doubt MSC would fall much below that. I especially hate that you cannot serve yourself at the HAL buffet. It turns it into a cafeteria and I do not like having to explain to someone how I like my plate made. But of course, to each their own!

Also, for everyone...it's "Dining".

Maybe they're not into eating, but more into making loud and unpleasant noise.;)

We were pondering Seaside for Christmas 2018, but I think we'll have to pass. We can't be sure they'll have enough of these issues fixed by then, and there's no excuse for not having a yummy dinner buffet.

We could deal with eating in MDR every night if we could get in and out in 45 minutes or so (which we've been able to do on Carnival), but not when it takes well over an hour or two to do MDR dinner...