A Funny Thing Happened On My Way To The Forum...

So, the price-drop thread the other day piqued my interest...

I called RCI and asked for a price match on an upcoming Adventure cruise..

"Mary" couldn't do anything without 15 minutes of hold while she asked her boss.

After 62 minutes of hemming and hawing, she assured me everything was a "GO!"

I logged in, and saw that she rebooked me at a price $250 more than I originally paid....

Totally worth it! Price drop!!

This morning, I cancelled the cruise, got my refundable deposit back, then I re-booked it at the new price of $1921.16, with a non-refundable deposit. (Original price was $2065.00).

Pretty Happy...

I just logged in a few minutes ago, and my account shows a total price of $2058.16(!!!!!!!).

They raised the price $137.00!

W T F?

That's not a lot of money to me, but the principle of it all really bothers me.

If I put a deposit on a product advertised as "X", then the supplier changes the price to "Y" after the deal is done, is super shady to me.

Has his ever happened to any of you?

"Mary" couldn't do anything without 15 minutes of hold while she asked her boss.

I logged in, and saw that she rebooked me at a price $250 more than I originally paid....

This morning, I cancelled the cruise, got my refundable deposit back, then I re-booked it at the new price of $1921.16 (Original price was $2065.00).

Pretty Happy...

I just logged in a few minutes ago, and my account shows a total price of $2058.16(!!!!!!!).

W T F?

If I put a deposit on a product advertised as "X", then the supplier changes the price to "Y" after the deal is done, is super shady to me.

Do you have the invoice that they should have sent you showing the price of $1921.16?

Do you have the invoice that they should have sent you showing the price of $1921.16?

I have screen shots of the deposit confirmation screen showing $1921.00

Also, I have the email showing my deposit, but, of course, not the price...only the ressie #.

I never received any other confirmation....

This morning, I cancelled the cruise, got my refundable deposit back, then I re-booked it at the new price of $1921.16, with a non-refundable deposit. (Original price was $2065.00).

Pretty Happy...

W T F?

Yes,

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean (same company) have both done this to us in the past. In our case the “magical price change” was hundreds of dollars one time and thousands another time. Both times, we contacted the cruise line and provided our original invoices ... and both times they honored our original invoices. One time it took just a few minutes to fix it. The other time, it took a few days. The second time was a Galapagos cruise with Celebrity and we had to speak to three separate people because no one would take ownership of the issue. The difference was about $2,300 per suite (we had booked 6 suites including the Penthouse). The price change was a LOT of money (~ $14,000 difference). Celebrity did finally honor the original booked price, but it took them a few days. We did not need to get anyone else involved, they just couldn’t figure out who should fix the issue and took a few days trying to figure out who needed to make the fixes.

— Don

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First thing I would do is call and request an invoice be sent to your email. Then you could compare it to your screen shot and see where the price difference is coming from. Sometimes the website is glitchy in terms of what price is showing.

The other day I was pricing cruises and (on one particular cruise) the non-refundable price was lower, but when I got to the last booking page, the total shown was the same as the refundable price. So something was going wrong between the 'choose your deposit' page and the final pricing page. (I did not book it I was just looking). Maybe this happened to you.

Yes, call and request an invoice so you can see where the price difference happened. Then call back and talk to someone about it.

edited photo: I saw your picture showed 2638 cruise fare, 292 tax and fees, then discounted 75 for something and 934 for 30% off. So that was 1921.

Sometimes those 30% off deals get glitchy so I would do as I said above.

Edited by marci22

One thing I did notice is that when I went to book a May Adventure balcony for 2018, the deposit page said $125 instant savings but the final page showed $75 instant savings.

Their website is dreadful and atrocious. Subpar.

The other day I added my C&A number to my online reservation. When I was done my reservation price more then doubled! I had to call and be on hold for about 40 minutes before it was fixed. I also had never received an original email after I paid my deposit. Luckily the agent said he saw the price jump on his computer. I had him email me a new invoice with my price! Just crazy!

Could they have added prepaid gratuities? I went into My Cruises a couple of months ago to add a special occasion to our reservation and noticed afterward the total price had gone up. I called C&A and found out that making a change had triggered auto grats. I had them removed since I prefer not to pay them before we set foot on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The other day I added my C&A number to my online reservation. When I was done my reservation price more then doubled! I had to call and be on hold for about 40 minutes before it was fixed. I also had never received an original email after I paid my deposit. Luckily the agent said he saw the price jump on his computer. I had him email me a new invoice with my price! Just crazy!

Par for the course with Royal. They refuse to fix that "bug", going on 4 years now. I think it's a profit center.

I send a email telling my TA the cruise I am looking at he sends me a email with a quote price is set I tell him with a email to book it done deal. Total time 9 minutes, price never changes. Why go thru RCL again.

Yeah, I do too!

Like I said, $134 isn’t a fortune, but it’s shady bidness.

Nor should I have to expend energy fighting it!

Even if you plan on paying the increased amount, I’d still want a current invoice.

I send a email telling my TA the cruise I am looking at he sends me a email with a quote price is set I tell him with a email to book it done deal. Total time 9 minutes, price never changes. Why go thru RCL again.

This is why I love my travel agent. She wouldn't put up with that.

Yes! The whole time I was reading I was thinking the same thing. I never have these issues with my local TA,

Eeek. That was brave of you to have such a screw up and then decide to rebook a new cruise at a NON-REFUNDABLE RATE!!!! Why would you do that???

Hopefully they fix it and you’re able to get it worked it without having to cancel and rebook like the last time, especially since you made it so that you can’t do that without a penalty [emoji21]

Eeek. That was brave of you to have such a screw up and then decide to rebook a new cruise at a NON-REFUNDABLE RATE!!!! Why would you do that???

Hopefully they fix it and you’re able to get it worked it without having to cancel and rebook like the last time, especially since you made it so that you can’t do that without a penalty [emoji21]

‘Cuz I really want to go on this cruise!!!!!

This is why I love my travel agent. She wouldn't put up with that.

Yup! Me too! I booked once with Royal Caribbean with plans to transfer to my TA (which I did). It was such a hassle, I'll never do it again. I had to actually read the rate rules to the agent and she had to discuss it with her supervisor before they'd apply the rate with the C & A Discount. The rate rule stated it was combinable with C & A discount.

Hmm this thread is making me nervous. Was thinking of switching from our usual Princess and NCL to Royal in 2019. Not loving the issues I'm reading about here.

And does Royal really have some deposits that are non-refundable? That's crazy to me. Even if it was a swinging deal I can't imagine paying a non-refundable deposit a year and a half out.

Hmm this thread is making me nervous. Was thinking of switching from our usual Princess and NCL to Royal in 2019. Not loving the issues I'm reading about here.

And does Royal really have some deposits that are non-refundable? That's crazy to me. Even if it was a swinging deal I can't imagine paying a non-refundable deposit a year and a half out.

Me neither. A non-refundable fare would have to save me at LEAST $1,000. At least.