Buying Alcohol In Ports for European Cruise

acaballero87

13 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

@stephen@stoneyard.co.uk Do they sell hard liquor in the grocery stores in the UK?   I live in Texas where they do not do this.  You can only buy wine/beer. Or is my best bet to find a liquor store? I was just wondering because we will have a car when we are in Scotland before the cruise and I was hoping to pick some up. 

Not Stephen,  but yes they do. Obviously better selection in large supermarkets.

Here in Canada , no. Not even wine or beer.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 3:44 PM, erinmarie424 said:

Looking for an update, if there is one. Going on the Pride out of Dover, stopping in several ports in Norway. Thanks!

Hi, checking in to see how it went from Dover?

On 6/8/2022 at 2:37 AM, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

Quite a few European ports sell alcohol in the terminal after security checking.  Carnival could search for bottles themselves as you then board the ship, rely on your honesty in handing them over, or just not worry at all. 

Some ports do not have a terminal building to sell alcohol or do security check. In that case Carnival will do the security check as you step back on the ship. Again they may or may not be concerned about bottles.

Alcohol prices in Europe in local shops are generally quite cheap.  There are exceptions, like Norway, where the prices make me wince.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Been on 4 Carnivel Euro cruises.  Never seen any check for booze like in Caribbean.  

We brought alcohol in our carryons when boarding Pride in Lisbon last October.  No check and could have purchased inside the port and carried on.  I know Carnival’s “official” rule is the same as US ports (as verified again this week on the brand ambassador’s social media page) but it was not being enforced in Lisbon at all.

On 3/10/2023 at 5:05 PM, lennythenose said:

We brought alcohol in our carryons when boarding Pride in Lisbon last October.  No check and could have purchased inside the port and carried on.  I know Carnival’s “official” rule is the same as US ports (as verified again this week on the brand ambassador’s social media page) but it was not being enforced in Lisbon at all.

I find it odd that is their "official" rule when the carnival terminal at Barcelona had a full on liquor store right before you board.  I guess it is there for the crew?... 😆

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...