Verizon - very confused

Going on Harmony next month. Verizon sent me a 3 page e-mail and I'm confused.

1) If I get VOOM data, it sounds like I need to turn on Airplane mode so that I don't use my Verizon data. But, then I don't think I'll get texts or phone calls?

2) If I can go a week w/o data, how do I turn off Verizon data so I don't have a big bill. I'm willing to pay the 5 cents & 50 cents for texts if someone at home texts me.

Either way, I want to receive any texts or phone calls from home. Thanks!

If your phone is set up for WiFi calling, you can have full phone functionality over VOOM, while in airplane mode. Just make sure you do the initial WiFi calling setup before you get on the ship, while connected to cellular.

Verizon no longer provides data while at sea, so there should be no way to get charged for it. Not a problem anyhow if the phone is in airplane mode.

Turn roaming off so you don't get charged for data. I know there is a way to use wifi on your phone after putting your phone on airplane mode but you need someone else to explain that! I use wfi on my tablet with my D+ free hours (and dh's hrs too) so I haven't used my phone for that. The important thing is to turn off roaming!

I do it all the time. Go to settings pick connections, turn turn on wi fi, go back to connections pick data usage then turn off mobile data.

I make and receive calls but no data from verizon. Data is from Royal Wi Fi

Call verizon to set up international calling. They only charge you for the call 2.99 a minute. They have other plans but that one fits me.

I do it all the time. Go to settings pick connections, turn turn on wi fi, go back to connections pick data usage then turn off mobile data.

I make and receive calls but no data from verizon. Data is from Royal Wi Fi

Call verizon to set up international calling. They only charge you for the call 2.99 a minute. They have other plans but that one fits me.

Not sure what type of phone you have, but those are not the steps for an iphone.

If the OP buys a Voom package, she can make her calls on the ship using wifi calling and not be charged $2.99 per minute by Verizon. She just has no make sure she has gone into airplane mode, turning off her cellular signal, and then enable wifi, or the phone will default to making calls over cellular.

As far as setting up international calling, you only have to enable international calling once on your phone and most enable it when they buy a phone.

Going on Harmony next month. Verizon sent me a 3 page e-mail and I'm confused.

1) If I get VOOM data, it sounds like I need to turn on Airplane mode so that I don't use my Verizon data. But, then I don't think I'll get texts or phone calls?

2) If I can go a week w/o data, how do I turn off Verizon data so I don't have a big bill. I'm willing to pay the 5 cents & 50 cents for texts if someone at home texts me.

Either way, I want to receive any texts or phone calls from home. Thanks!

I have Verizon.

I have an iphone.

I use wifi calling all the time on board.

I phone, I text, everything. No Verizon charges whatsoever.

I have VOOM on board.

i was just on the harmony with VOOM over xmas and could barely (if ever) get the wifi-calling to work on my Verizon iPhone. I have wifi calling working at home or in the office just fine..

also, the kids on airplane mode, but connected to the royal-wifi WERE able to send and receive iMessages oddly enough. i don't think they are entirely filtering that out.. they couldn't surf the web or watch videos without logging into one of my device-connections, but iMessages worked just fine.. just FYI as well

oh.. and you can go into settings --> Cellular --> and turn off Cellular data to be extra-extra sure.. (on an iPhone)

... also, the kids on airplane mode, but connected to the royal-wifi WERE able to send and receive iMessages oddly enough. i don't think they are entirely filtering that out.. ...

Yes, iMessage is still being reported as working wothout a VOOM package, but only on Quantum class ships and Harmony.

^ WiFi calling may not be available on such an old phone. Look into apps like Google Hangouts for free texting/calls via WiFI. If you can limit yourself to texting and you can limit those to just a few, you can skip a VOOM package and pay as you go for texts.

While I cannot speak for voom, I used the international plan on verizon. I used the flat rate $10 a day rate, I would start at 3 in the afternoon on land( not on ship) and it would go for 24 hours( 3pm the next day). I used it 6 times on a 14 day cruise to call, or send data.( again not on board) I sent fb data, or such. Again I don't know about voom. BUt I know it was pretty cheap to do it this way for me.

While I cannot speak for voom, I used the international plan on verizon. I used the flat rate $10 a day rate, I would start at 3 in the afternoon on land( not on ship) and it would go for 24 hours( 3pm the next day). I used it 6 times on a 14 day cruise to call, or send data.( again not on board) I sent fb data, or such. Again I don't know about voom. BUt I know it was pretty cheap to do it this way for me.

We have used Travel Passes for port days as well, Mexico and Canada are even cheaper, but to use data on the ship while at sea, the OP will need Voom.