Tips, tricks, & inside info.

1bigballer

Cruise on the Sea Princess. It is mainly populated by well mannered unassuming :o

modest Brits with a self effacing sense of humour.

We would never ‘bunk’ off the ship early with false luggage tags.

We can always be found queuing in an orderly line, …..no pushing or shoving from us.

You can always expect a Brit to give up his sun bed to a more senior citizen.

We will never take too much food from the buffet, afraid that there may not be enough for everyone.

I could go on but I think you will have got the gist ;)

Regards

Ray

Antother Tip we just discovered...

If you have a later disembarkation color, find an out-of-the way lounge to hang out in. We were one of the last groups to disembark the Sapphire on Dec 17. We spent the morning in Skywalkers at the top/aft of the ship. There were VERY few people in there. (and no lines in the restroom)

Much better than being in the VERY crowded rooms on the promenade deck.

For whatever it is worth, we had an 11:30 a.m. flight after our CB cruise in October. While we made it to the airport in plenty of time, there was a substantial amount of congestion in people trying to disembark during the first color call, and it was apparent to me that people were not waiting until their group was called. We've been on over 30 cruises, and this disembarkation was the worst ever (perhaps, in part, due to the size of the ship).

Well, I guess in reality you seem like a cruddy person, IMO.

Here's a tip or trick from me: do us a favor and let us know which cruises you'll be on, so we can avoid the ship.

That was a pretty nasty thing to say. I guess that makes you a cruddy person too. :rolleyes:

Get grip, if you need to get off the ship, you CAN. A few people getting off ahead of you will not ruin your whole trip.

Goody Bags - On our last cruise, we put together little bags (sheer mesh, like you would use for baby/bridal showers) with an assortment of good/nice candies. We also tied a card to it that said Thank You for making our trip memorable. We gave these out to anyone who helped us out, even if it was just trying to figure out which direction to go to for lunch! Boy were we remembered and in a good way. Little things really matter. Also, on our last cruise, we brought back desert treats for our cabin steward. Every evening we would ask if there was anything special they would like for desert. We would bring it back after dinner (sometimes extras so they could be shared). If our steward was not available, we never had a problem getting one of the other to take care of our needs. Don't know if feeding the stewards is an issue on Princess, but I intend to do it again on our next cruise. :D

The single best traveling tip I had while traveling for work applies while traveling on vacation too:

Remember to say please and thank you, smile and treat the other person with respect.

It sounds obvious, and corny, but it is amazing how well it works. The worse the situation is the more important it is to remember your manners.

Over and over again I saw people in airports yell, threaten and degrade airline employees who had to deal with a delayed or cancelled flight. Many times I heard the few people in front of me just rip an agent up and down after some problem and then have them be told that there was nothing that could be done for them. I would then approach the desk, smile, tell the person I was glad I wasn’t in their shoes, and ask if there was anything they could do for me. And of course, if there wasn’t that was ok, I understood. Sometimes they really couldn’t help me out. But more than once they got me on the exact plane the people in front of me were demanding to get on but couldn’t.

You beat me to my punch, Broncoscruiser. My simple advice is, if you want something, just ask nicely. You don't always get the exact answer you want, but you are guaranteed never to get anything if you don't try. Add that please and thank you, and you're all set.

You beat me to my punch, Broncoscruiser. My simple advice is, if you want something, just ask nicely. You don't always get the exact answer you want, but you are guaranteed never to get anything if you don't try. Add that please and thank you, and you're all set.

AMEN!! My sentiments exactly - We always treat the staff with respect! They are people just like we are!!

Ron

Remember to say please and thank you, smile and treat the other person with respect. It sounds obvious, and corny, but it is amazing how well it works. The worse the situation is the more important it is to remember your manners.

It's amazing how many people forget this while on vacation. I can honestly say that in 20 cruises, I've never had bad service from a steward or dining servers. I firmly believe that it is because we treat the staff with respect. It goes a long way.

My Tips and ramblilings:

Take in a sunrise or sunset each day with your mate. A little romance goes a long way on "The Love Boat!"

Eat lunch in the dining room, and meet other guests. You'd be surprised how many great people you can find on a cruise.

Take time to relax a little. Don't be rushed to try to DO EVERYTHING. You'll feel like you need another vacation when you get home!

Don't cruise with expectations that EVERYTHING will go exactly as planned. Expect the unexpected. Something always comes up...be prepared. A 'plan-b' arrangement can save the day.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Little annoyances can make you mad, but don't dwell on it and let it ruin your cruise vacation. There's going to be smokers where you don't want them, kids running amok, or food you don't care for. Take a deep breath...and let things go.

When you return home, post a fair review, and share your photos. Share the good, and the bad...but keep it balanced. Someone will always disagree with something you say or experience. Your review will help others in their research. When you read other reviews...remember: each person has a different point of view. You don't have to agree with it, but respect it. Take things with a grain of salt. Just because someone else thought the food was lousy, doesn't mean the food IS actually lousy.

Respect thy neighbor. Don't go nuts in your room anytime you want. Others can hear you, and your kids. Try not to fire up that stogie, and talk too loud on your balcony when the neighbors are trying to have their ULTIMATE BALCONY DINNER. Not everyone cares to hear your drunken mouth in the hallway at 3am! R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

If you brought your kids, don't forget...They are YOUR KIDS! Your kids = YOUR responsibility. Watch 'em, control them, love them. 'Nuff said.

Don't push anyone overboard just to get on CNN! (unless it's the guy with the stogie...);)

Have fun! See you on the waves! :cool:

ndjollymon,

Thank you for your ramblings. Out of everything I've read, those are the best tips! I am taking my first cruise ever in February on the Sapphire. I have been reading lots of reviews and taking everything in. I won this cruise on a local radio station and my husband and I are very much looking forward to it. :p I do have some questions if I could impose on somebody for some answers. The travel agency that is giving away this cruise says that the tips are included. How is all the stewards and waiters going to know that the tips were already paid in advance when we go different places. Also, we read several reviews on "anytime dining" and the traditional dining. Which should we choose? Thanks for your responses!

You should get envelopes and printed cards to give to the dining room stewards, cabin steward, etc., which state that the tip has been paid. You may always add more for exceptional service. You will get a variety of answers on dining - we like traditional (habit, probably) as we like to get well acquainted with the people at our table. Have a great cruise! Nancy

NRJOLLYMON, what wonderful advice, if eveyone (including us) would read and do all, it would be a great cruise. The one thing I do practice is, if someone gets annoying, I just walk away, that way it doesn't upset my cruise. There is no such a thing as a perfect cruise, but most of ours have been 99.9%. Like some one else said "don't sweat the small stuff". Saying Please and Thank you are wonderful words. Every employee on the ship is a person. A greeting to them goes a long way. Their jobs are hard.

rolo freshour, how wonderful to win a cruise. Your wildest dreams are about to come true. Just sit back and wait to be pampered. The cruise employees know who DID NOT tip. That is easier, most people leave it on their house charge. We leave ours on, but still give extra because of the super great service. We have heard the extra is what they get to keep. They earn every Dollar they get. It is a hard life. You will love the Sapphire, we were on her in April.

As mentioned before smile :) and don't let others bother you. I would recommend traditional dining as I like to get to know my tablemates but also enjoy breakfast and lunch in the dining room where we can chat to some new people. At first we were not keen to eat in the dining room at lunch time as we thought you would have to eat a full meal but the staff were happy to give us a sandwich and an icecream. It's so nice to get it brought to you!:D

My Tips and ramblilings:

Take in a sunrise or sunset each day with your mate. A little romance goes a long way on "The Love Boat!"

Eat lunch in the dining room, and meet other guests. You'd be surprised how many great people you can find on a cruise.

Take time to relax a little. Don't be rushed to try to DO EVERYTHING. You'll feel like you need another vacation when you get home!

Don't cruise with expectations that EVERYTHING will go exactly as planned. Expect the unexpected. Something always comes up...be prepared. A 'plan-b' arrangement can save the day.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Little annoyances can make you mad, but don't dwell on it and let it ruin your cruise vacation. There's going to be smokers where you don't want them, kids running amok, or food you don't care for. Take a deep breath...and let things go.

When you return home, post a fair review, and share your photos. Share the good, and the bad...but keep it balanced. Someone will always disagree with something you say or experience. Your review will help others in their research. When you read other reviews...remember: each person has a different point of view. You don't have to agree with it, but respect it. Take things with a grain of salt. Just because someone else thought the food was lousy, doesn't mean the food IS actually lousy.

Respect thy neighbor. Don't go nuts in your room anytime you want. Others can hear you, and your kids. Try not to fire up that stogie, and talk too loud on your balcony when the neighbors are trying to have their ULTIMATE BALCONY DINNER. Not everyone cares to hear your drunken mouth in the hallway at 3am! R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

If you brought your kids, don't forget...They are YOUR KIDS! Your kids = YOUR responsibility. Watch 'em, control them, love them. 'Nuff said.

Don't push anyone overboard just to get on CNN! (unless it's the guy with the stogie...);)

Have fun! See you on the waves! :cool:

Very well said. My sentiments exactly.

Marilyn

From the Flyingrev

" Hey guys...and gals...It's Christmas.... Let's have some goodwill toward men. :)

For a while there, it looked like a hockey game was going to break out."

LOL Don't you mean a basketballl game? Pistons and Pacers was a better scrap then most hockey fights of late. They don't allow much fighting in hockey anymore. The famous Hanson brothers of Slapshot the movie have retired. LOL

Merry Christmas to all

Yes, sadly, hockey has changed. ;) I remember the "Broad Street Bullies" (Philadelphia Flyers of the middle '70s) and there were better fights in the stands than even on the ice. Truly it was "I went to the fights last night and a hockey game broke out."

:)

believe it or not, I have no interest in being the first one off the ship unless I have an early flight. which I avoid when possible.

On some cruises, they start calling colors at 6am or even earlier in Europe.

What is the point of being the first one to the airport and having to hang around for hours, if you dont have an early flight ? to me that is punishment, not a perk.

I am not saying that I am a virtuous cruiser, just that I dont find it to be a bonus to be the first group off, if I dont need to be.

For breakfast room service, I have written in things that are not on the menu. For example, 2 bagels and salmon, one cream cheese. They bring it.

If you call in, you can request things that are not on the menu. They will try. You have to be specific and patient with any language barrier.

Also, the earliest time was something like 7:30. I would write in 6:00 and they would come.

I always tip them cash.

For breakfast room service, I have written in things that are not on the menu. For example, 2 bagels and salmon, one cream cheese. They bring it.

If you call in, you can request things that are not on the menu. They will try. You have to be specific and patient with any language barrier.

Also, the earliest time was something like 7:30. I would write in 6:00 and they would come.

I always tip them cash.

believe it or not, I have no interest in being the first one off the ship unless I have an early flight. which I avoid when possible.

On some cruises, they start calling colors at 6am or even earlier in Europe.

What is the point of being the first one to the airport and having to hang around for hours, if you dont have an early flight ? to me that is punishment, not a perk.

I am not saying that I am a virtuous cruiser, just that I dont find it to be a bonus to be the first group off, if I dont need to be.

I can't understand that mentality. Maybe everyone is in such a hurry to end a cruise??? I want it to last as long as possible!

I also like the idea with the photos - I'll try this on the Sun in Feb. Regarding the debate on disembarkation - if you have an early flight (and even if you don't have an early flight), why put your luggage out the night before, why not just walk off the ship with your luggage once the ship has been cleared by customs. I have not done this myself but have seen others do it as recently as our cruise this past February. I'm not aware of any rule that says you HAVE to put your luggage out the night before. I may try this next February, even though our flight is booked for around 1 p.m. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this and if they experienced any problems.

When my friend and I cruise, we request "still" water be supplied in our cabin fridge. Each night we refill the water bottle from the tap (we find the ship's water to be fine). That way, the cabin steward replenishes the ice supply daily, and we always have cold water without a daily charge for a new bottle.

flamomo

Sailing on the Island Princess to Hawaii on 1/21/06

Past sails: 2004 Coral Princess - Panama Canal

2005 Sun Princess - Eastern Caribbean

Archived