Tips, tricks, & inside info.

1bigballer

For risk of being flamed, I was in the service industry many summers and school years both in National Parks and High end Hotels. The Pre-tippers wer ALWAYS the butt of many jokes amongst the staff. Generally the were thought to be boorish, pompous and quite the "show-off" Did they get the service they thought they had bought? We had a job, a supervisor, and frequent evaluations all customers got what was required. The extra service, in the small amout of extra time we had to provide it, went to those who treated us as fellow humans who served not servants. The snobs got a "show" and little else from us, we were exausted most days. On Princess all the employees are served by those in training once a waiter is sucessful in the staff rooms he is promoted to the public areas your sharing of the cruise experience is almost a laugh. If you truly want to reward a employee, write a glowing evaluation form. They are read aloud at each post cruise meeting and the greatest reward of all-time off for those who shine is awarded and that doesn't go in the tip pool. Extra food and desert- come on these are service professionals not Galley slaves. My cruise advice - book anbinside cabin and cruise 4 times more often food and service is the same bring a night light drink the foofoo drinks and you'll never know where you're at.:)

We tip nightly in the diningroom because you never know which waiter you will get with the PC dining. Last year on the NCL Spirit, our service was perfectly ok on the first night. We did not have much of an impression at all about it really. At the end of the meal my husband left a $20 on the table (there were 8 of us being served so this was not a great tip...IMHO)

The next time we came in we were seated with the same waiter. He seemed more than eager to please that night. I was almost embarrassed by it. He was scurrying around, responding quickly to anything we wanted, extra friendly. There was an obvious difference in his attention and eagerness to please.

We tip nightly in the diningroom because you never know which waiter you will get with the PC dining. Last year on the NCL Spirit, our service was perfectly ok on the first night. We did not have much of an impression at all about it really. At the end of the meal my husband left a $20 on the table (there were 8 of us being served so this was not a great tip...IMHO)

The next time we came in we were seated with the same waiter. He seemed more than eager to please that night. I was almost embarrassed by it. He was scurrying around, responding quickly to anything we wanted, extra friendly. There was an obvious difference in his attention and eagerness to please.

Sure he was looking for another $20 ;)

here's an airplane tip: please remember that should you desire to recline your seat, you are going to end up in someone's face. I felt so bad for my 6'5" seatmate to have his knees encumbered by the steal bar on the seat in front of him *then* that seat reclined:eek: Meanwhile, the recliner's mate threw her seat back into recline at the same time my head was bent forward trying to get something out of carry on bag! Whamoo! that hurt! Without graphic detail, the flight attendant got involved...the whole scene got rather entertaining.... ahem. I never recline my seat and don't appreciate it when the person in front of me does. I think it's just plain rude to recline (especially during food or beverage service!). We all know these planes squeeze us in - courtesy is good common sense, yes?

We plan our return travel after the cruise to allow us to continue our relaxing vacation a little more. If necessary, we book a room in a hotel for that evening and fly out the next day. No worries on making it off the ship to catch a plane. Often, we drive to the port and therefore are off the boat between the port city’s rush hours and in doing so avoid the traffic crunch on the freeways.

We request the last color tag to disembark. This allows us to enjoy our cabin some more, eat a leisurely breakfast on our balcony or the Lido Deck and watch my fellow passengers schlep their blotted bags and bodies around the boat trying to clear customs early. Think of it as the final floor show.;)

We pay good money to enjoy the ship and we plan to enjoy it to the max. When we are finally off the ship, finding our bags in the claim area is much easier as everyone else has picked up theirs. Plus, there is plenty of ground transportation available to go where we need to go.

"... don't worry. Be happy."

Smooth seas & a following wind.

Grant & Jean

If we did not finish the wine bottle at dinner, we would take a glass with us and get to the show a little early and sit and chat and finish the wine. You can get a good seat and relax a little. :)

A small backpack is great for shore days. You can carry the beach towels, lotion, water, etc, but still have two hands free for disembarking (getting the id card out), cash registers on shore, i.e you don't have to put the bag down.

tip w/kids: bought $1 float rings during the summer at one of those "dollar stores". Enjoyed our family beach-picnic day during stop at Antiqua. The float rings were delightfully fun. We left them w/the local children who were seen playing with them as our bus drove away. A good time was enjoyed by all! (..we did have to pay $10 to rent the beach umbrella..)

here's an airplane tip: please remember that should you desire to recline your seat' date=' you are going to end up in someone's face. I felt so bad for my 6'5" seatmate to have his knees encumbered by the steal bar on the seat in front of him *then* that seat reclined:eek: Meanwhile, the recliner's mate threw her seat back into recline at the same time my head was bent forward trying to get something out of carry on bag! Whamoo! that hurt! Without graphic detail, the flight attendant got involved...the whole scene got rather [i']entertaining....[/i] ahem. I never recline my seat and don't appreciate it when the person in front of me does. I think it's just plain rude to recline (especially during food or beverage service!). We all know these planes squeeze us in - courtesy is good common sense, yes?

In all hoesty, the reclining of the seats is something that the person in front of you is entitled to do, they booked that seat. At 6'3 I like it when someone does not, but do not mind when they do. Actually, if I recline mine, I really loose no space to speak of.

Now, as for slamming it back, that is rude. I always try to recline mine slowly so that people have a chance to adapt.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest AdmiralNelson
While we made it to the airport in plenty of time, there was a substantial amount of congestion in people trying to disembark during the first color call, and it was apparent to me that people were not waiting until their group was called.

Let me tell you, this happens EVERY cruise! No matter how many times people are informed, you will always have people hanging around REFUSING TO MOVE OUT OF THE WAY trying to get off the ship before their colour is called. This is completely pointless. You are just creating a problem for others not to mention winding yourself up. You just spent a cruise relaxing, take advantage of your relaxed attitude and do like Ron & Connie said, book a late flight, chill out and wait until the end. Even if you can't wait, get the correct colour ticket and you will be off the ship at the right time. There is no need to crowd the gangway.

Most of the poeple who crowd the gangway didn't read the information about tickets and don't have the correct ones. There is no point telling the Security officer at the gangway you have an early flight, this should be organised during the last few days of your cruise at the purser's desk.

If you are in that much of a hurry (where available) get express walkoff tickets.

1. pack 2 bathing suits so you never have to put on a wet one.

2. If you're seated at the same table every night and you don't finish your bottle of wine, they'll save it for you for the next night.

3. you can order as many appetizers, entrees, desserts as you like.

4. bring lots of $1 and $5 bills for tipping cab drivers, porters, and it's helpful to have exact change when negotiating with vendors in straw markets

5. most cruise lines you can ask for a bath robe for free to use while on your cruise.

6. bring plastic ziplock bags of all sizes (good for taking home wet swimsuits etc).

7. let the photographers take your picture, it's free and they're fun to look at even if you don't end up buying them.

8. If there's an alternative restaurant, go the first night. It's much easier to get in and less crowded.

9. bring sturdy sandals for walking/hiking, you can also use them in the water if the ocean floor is rocky.

10. bring underwater cameras, they can also be used out of the water

11. carry your exposed film or filled cards in a separate bag then your camera so that if your camera gets stolen you won't lose your pictures as well. Cameras can be replace, pictures can't.

12. go to the spa as soon as you get onboard and volunteer to be a model for their spa tours - you may get a free massage or facial out of it.

13. pack a swimsuit and change of comfortable clothes in your carry on when boarding the ship, you may not get your luggage right away.

Guest AdmiralNelson
You beat me to my punch, Broncoscruiser. My simple advice is, if you want something, just ask nicely. You don't always get the exact answer you want, but you are guaranteed never to get anything if you don't try. Add that please and thank you, and you're all set.

Couldn't have put it better myself. There are two types of approaches I see every day. The nice friendly passenger who I will ask me for help in a nice way, this person gets my full support and sometimes I will even go that little bit further, and then there is the nasty passenger who 'demands' that I do something for them. These people put me on the defensive right away. I will point them in the right direction but that's it. It's natural and I think anyone would do the same. Be nice and see how far the crew will go to help you!

I never recline my seat and don't appreciate it when the person in front of me does. I think it's just plain rude to recline (especially during food or beverage service!). We all know these planes squeeze us in - courtesy is good common sense' date=' yes?[/quote']

I think it is rude is people sit next to me on the plane, because then I can't spread myself out over 2 seats.

You are kidding me right?

For those of you who left an actual tip about cruising on Princess like the OP asked for, thank you. For those of you who bashed a poster about when he gets off the ship, I have a question. Are all people who cruise on Princess like you? I have not seen a ruder bunch of posters than I see on this message board!

I think a little pushback on the "get off the ship early" tip was warranted. Of course, bashing is not necessary. I recall reading the post and getting a reaction to it. Tips about bringing an overdoor hanger are one thing. Tips about how to win one over on your fellow passengers is another. I think that kind of advice is best shared privately and quietly and not advetised on a board like this. I am sure the OP meant well, especially that they posted later to get the thread back on track, which it did, until we got into the seat reclining thing. Oh well. Hey we all need a littlle focus now and then.

However, if you think about it, at $20 per cabin, with 1,400 cabins, that's $28,000 extra tips for the cabin stwards. Now all they have to do is figure out how to get everyone off the ship at one time. lol. :D :D

HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!

Sheffie, I was looking for info but mainly found release forms (not stating what they were for) and info about special occassions. Can you please give me more info on the site? Do we fill in a form and they e-mail us the picture? Purchase them at a reduced cost? Explain exactly.

Thanks

Think about the service you get at home. Who fixes your meals, Who makes your bed, Who cleans up after you. Do they do that great of a job? If it's anything like my house I am the one doing all the work. Anyone who does ANYTHING for me on a cruise is better than home! People need to get over the fact that these people are here to WAIT on you hand and foot. How about a cruise where you do all your own cleaning and cooking. Kinda like camping on a big boat. Then what would you complain about? Enjoy your cruise because reality sets in in 7 days. Just my two cents worth.

Another tip... on our Mexican Riviera cruise the computer instructor says he always takes his laptop out on deck, when the ship is in port, and looks for WiFi signals. He said he's successful most of the time. And, sure enough, while in port, we saw a lot of the cruise ship staff on the promenade deck using the "free" internet access they found in the air!

Sheffie, I was looking for info but mainly found release forms (not stating what they were for) and info about special occassions. Can you please give me more info on the site? Do we fill in a form and they e-mail us the picture? Purchase them at a reduced cost? Explain exactly.

Thanks

Go to "guest services" then "post-cruise" the "photography copyright release form."

This will give you a form that you fill out and then print out. You take this with you to Sam's Club, or somewhere else, with your photo that you have purchased on the ship. This form lets you have copies made.

Hope that helps!

12. go to the spa as soon as you get onboard and volunteer to be a model for their spa tours - you may get a free massage or facial out of it.

I did a double take! Can you tell me what being a model for the spa tours is??????

I would love a free massage :-)

I do book my flight for the day after disembarkation. But that doesn't mean I should automatically get a colour after everyone else. We all have places to go and people to see. Simply because one books a 9:30am flight doesn't give them the right to act as though the world revolves around them. I have no sympathy. If you're cutting it that close, maybe it's not the right time to cruise.

Um – the reason for the colored tags is first, to control the number of passengers on the pier and second, to get the people that need to be off the ship first, off first in a controlled manner. Why should you follow the color of tag you have? Because it helps to control and make more efficient disembarkation…and it’s polite. Why should you vote if everyone else does? If someone has to cut it close because of flight arrangements, the polite thing to do would be to wait until they've cleared the pier so that they can be on their way - not disregard protocol and barge in front of them. Just because people do it in other situations, doesn't mean it's right to take retribution at disembarkation.

I don’t know what the big deal is about being first off the ship if your travel plans don’t require it. I normally just relax and have a cup of coffee and wait until all the crazed people that have to be first off are out of my way. I’ve enjoyed my time on board and like to stretch it out a bit – I see no prize in being the first off the ship.

Besides, now with the “Self Help” you can get off the ship immediately upon it being cleared – you don’t even have to wait for the luggage to be off loaded. All you have to do is be willing to drag your stuff off yourself.

Archived