Bomb Cyclone Breakaway: Cruise Credit Offer?

Snooz Diva

One of the videos I saw, people were laughling and smiling.

yes, and standing up,so they could take pictures and videos,they said "nobody told them to sit down'

How old are they that they have to be told to sit their behinds down?

Marion

Yeah, I get it. But I think the point has already been made repeatedly. Not sure why folks on both sides can't let this go at this point. Hyperbole on either side isn't productive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Maybe if they stop spamming every NCL page that they can find, maybe then others will not have to point out their ridiculous their claim is.

Marion

yes, and standing up,so they could take pictures and videos,they said "nobody told them to sit down'

Marion

I am 65 years old and at one point it was so bad an officer came by deck and yelled "Sit down".

I am 65 years old and at one point it was so bad an officer came by deck and yelled "Sit down".

My point exactly, if it was that bad, why are people standing? I’m 60 and if the Tender is rocking that bad, my ass is sitting down without anyone having to yell at me!

Marion

I noticed a hearty discussion about that "event" over at Youtube. As I recall OP got bashed pretty badly for booking a cruise out of the North Atlantic and then complaining about the weather. I wasn't there... just repeating. By the way, there was also some discussion about a class action suite, that would be in complete opposition to the cruise waivers we all must sign before getting boarding docs.

Curious - what would you see as fair and equitable?

I would expect a apology and since the passengers knew were were heading into a terrible storm, perhaps some ownership on the part of NCL. If they don't own it they wont fix it and thats scary.

Instead of suing NCL, they should be suing GOD, since it was His doing. NCL owes nothing.

It is the expectation of any passenger that the captain would keep us at a safe distance from a storm the likes of this storm, said the worst int he North Atlantic by many meteorologists. Two years ago NCL took us 700 miles out of the way of a storm when we were heading to Bermuda. Yes, Mother Nature created this storm but it was predicted and NCL could have at the very least slowed down instead of sailing into Hatteras which can be choppy even when there are no storms.

I was on this cruise. I was not traumatized by it, but I fail to see how those of you making fun of my fellow passengers is adding anything to further the discourse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Well said. There were people who were being brave and some who were even laughing, perhaps trying to lighten the mood for others, perhaps they drank too much or perhaps they laugh when there under stress. Because the other posters don't think they would be scared in the situation we were in doesn't mean that there weren't a lot of people who were petrified. I saw them. I am a seasoned cruiser, been through my fair share of storms but this was different we listed, water pored in and the bridge did nothing to comfort us. I wish the people who are the ones making fun would have seen the faces of little children who were sick and crying, the handicapped, and people like myself who have been on 70+ cruises and still felt fear. I am taking a break from cruising for a bit but when I do get back to it, I hope and pray I can enjoy the same piece of mind I once had while cruising. I hope when we hit a storm, my first thought doesn't go to "Will the ship list? " because on that night I kept thinking to myself "Will the ship list further" Whether the other posters would have been scared or not is irreverent because they weren't there.

Marion

It depended not he tender you were in, I watched and some people were literally screaming, they're getting soaked. Tey did stand when the tender was at the ship.

I know most of you will never be on a ship through a Bomb Cyclone sailing into Cape Hatteras in your lifetime because they are very rare. It would be my expectation if you actually experienced this y'all wouldn't be talking like you do. They way some of you talk would be like you telling someone that you have a terrible headache and they say 'No you don't". Geez..

I know most of you will never be on a ship through a Bomb Cyclone sailing into Cape Hatteras in your lifetime because they are very rare. It would be my expectation if you actually experienced this y'all wouldn't be talking like you do. They way some of you talk would be like you telling someone that you have a terrible headache and they say 'No you don't". Geez..
You didn't sail through it, you sailed behind it. And don't be so sure that others have not been in storms much worse that what the Breakaway went through. Try being on a 239 foot ship in a storm the Captain said was the worse he had ever been in (waves crashing over the bridge and passengers not being able to leave their cabins) and he was a very experienced Antarctia Captain. Guess what, no one asked for a refund, no one went on social media and called the Captain a coward and no one went on social media exaggerating the circumstances saying their live's were at risk. Even though we went through it, we were thankful that our Captain got us all back to Ushuaia with only a few folks being injured and instead of blaming him for sailing through (and unlike your crusie, we went through it, because there was no way around it or to stay behind it), we thanked him for being able to sail the ship in such a manner that keeped us safe. Edited by NLH Arizona

It depended not he tender you were in, I watched and some people were literally screaming, they're getting soaked. Tey did stand when the tender was at the ship.
In open air boats there's always a chance of getting wet and even more so when it's windy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It is the expectation of any passenger that the captain would keep us at a safe distance from a storm the likes of this storm, said the worst int he North Atlantic by many meteorologists. Two years ago NCL took us 700 miles out of the way of a storm when we were heading to Bermuda. Yes, Mother Nature created this storm but it was predicted and NCL could have at the very least slowed down instead of sailing into Hatteras which can be choppy even when there are no storms.

700miles out of route?? By who's calculating is that number. 700nm out of route on a cruise ship is about 30+ hours of full steam sailing. I'll just let you ponder that little math problem. Maybe you'd like to know the estimated fuel consumption for that extra 30+ hours of max speed sailing also.

:eek:

I'll take a ship the size of Breakaway sailing on the tail of your super storm any time over being on the sea in ships not even 1/4 her size in GT and none of the modern stabilization she has which if you'd have ever been in the Navy you'd actually know what rough seas are like and know what it's like to strap yourself into bed at night IF you can sleep.

I'd have been laughing at anyone loosing their minds on that ship

700miles out of route?? By who's calculating is that number. 700nm out of route on a cruise ship is about 30+ hours of full steam sailing. I'll just let you ponder that little math problem. Maybe you'd like to know the estimated fuel consumption for that extra 30+ hours of max speed sailing also.

That was what the Captain told us and I believed him. I can tell you what he did and you can calculate yourself. We left NY for Bermuda and in order to avoid the storm the captain hugged the US coast all the way from NY to North Carolina, once we got that far south he then headed east. I have done the NY to Bahamas cruise probably 30 times and we usually leave NY around 4:00 PM and are in NC around 1 to 2PM at the latest so about 21 hours.

You didn't sail through it, you sailed behind it. And don't be so sure that others have not been in storms much worse that what the Breakaway went through. Try being on a 239 foot ship in a storm the Captain said was the worse he had ever been in (waves crashing over the bridge and passengers not being able to leave their cabins) and he was a very experienced Antarctia Captain. Guess what, no one asked for a refund, no one went on social media and called the Captain a coward and no one went on social media exaggerating the circumstances saying their live's were at risk. Even though we went through it, we were thankful that our Captain got us all back to Ushuaia with only a few folks being injured and instead of blaming him for sailing through (and unlike your crusie, we went through it, because there was no way around it or to stay behind it), we thanked him for being able to sail the ship in such a manner that keeped us safe.

I think you have put words in my mouth. I said it is unlikely any one of you will experience a bomb cyclone. We did not sail behind the storm. We were following it on NOAA comparing it to our location. In addition my sister in law is a pilot and pretty good at watching weather and she couldn't believe we sailed north. In addition NASA and their pictures indicate we were traveling into the storm along with other meteorologists and weather forecasts we listened to. More importantly, the Captain came on at 8:30 and told us the seas and winds would be mounting when we were already in very bad seas. We were heading north as was the storm, why not slow down? I have not once mentioned a lawsuit,I don't sue.. I just ask that NCL own it and if they just did that, I for one would trust that they learned from their mistake and would not repeat it.

:eek:

I'll take a ship the size of Breakaway sailing on the tail of your super storm any time over being on the sea in ships not even 1/4 her size in GT and none of the modern stabilization she has which if you'd have ever been in the Navy you'd actually know what rough seas are like and know what it's like to strap yourself into bed at night IF you can sleep.

I'd have been laughing at anyone loosing their minds on that ship

I will first thank you for your service in the US Navy, I have the utmost respect for our military. That said we did not sign up for the Navy because not all of us are cut out to be able to handle seas like you must have been though. I know because my father was in the Navy. We signed up for a cruise not the military. Im not sure why people on this site are so against us telling our story.

I will first thank you for your service in the US Navy, I have the utmost respect for our military. That said we did not sign up for the Navy because not all of us are cut out to be able to handle seas like you must have been though. I know because my father was in the Navy. We signed up for a cruise not the military. Im not sure why people on this site are so against us telling our story.

Telling your story becomes a problem because though you state things you feel are facts they are opinion based. Was it rough seas? To you maybe it was. But it's perspective based. If you've never seen anything over 5-10' seas then 20-25' would seem HUGE but in the context of things in the big picture of what can be they aren't really that bad.

It's like scuba diving. You can have log books full of dives, special dives, etc. But if all your dive time is in crystal clear waters of the Caribbean with perfect conditions don't expect others to give concern when you tell your scary dive story about the time you could only had 5ft of visibility and felt things closing in on you. Some if not a lot of people have experienced much worse.

I do understand there is a difference between what the Navy or CG might be in vs a cruise line but anyone that does much time on the ocean also understands the weather at sea and especially the North Atlantic.

I'll be honest, I use ports in the south vs the northern states simply because I prefer to get to enjoy the outdoor activities onboard including the pool and sun deck from the first day onboard even in winter. That's not happening in the northern ports.

If you have the experience on the sea you say then you'd know there are times that you can experience worse weather and no cruiseline is likely to delay a cruise by days unless it's truly unsafe. Think of not only the arrangements for the estimated 4000 passengers on board but also 4000 that are supposed to be boarding.

I'd personally be more upset about the captain taking an extra day to get back if unnecessary because it could effect ability of flights to or from, reservations for multiple things, etc.

Yes, that is what it is,,, a "story". Every time it is told, the "fish" gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

There are a couple of passengers who have tried to make themselves the "faces" of this trip, one who has been on twitter and posted pictures of a sinking ship, and the other who was so terrified that he appears very calm while interviewing himself, sent it to the NY news, and was prepared to be interviewed as he got off the ship, demanding a full refund.

I don't think anyone isn't sympathetic to the extremely rough seas, the water on board, etc., but when these people and their demands are what is publicized, viewers will not be too impressed.

A lot of us were in the northeast and the storm directly hit us. People on shore actually died.

And, I quote one of them - (interesting ... "cheerleading" back then)

Agree that would be terrible customer service especially to those who didn't complain and got nothing and not one bit fair either. That would say that people who don't read the contract or don't think its worth the paper its written on are special cases. Geez. I hope this type of cruiser does take their business elsewhere because by them demanding refunds or credits they don't deserve and getting it would result in a fare increase for the rest of us.

NCL if you credit squeaky wheels while not compensate the cruisers who read their contract and accepted the consequences of the weather I for one would be very disappointed in you!!!

Let me be very clear, it's not about making fun and the lack of empathy about what those on the January sailing on the Breakaway experienced. We've been "victimized" too ... by mother nature sailing in 20' & 30' and higher storms under adverse conditions, in much smaller non-mega ships - and have full faith sailing NCL with the captains in command.

It seemed that, each time someone tried to spin their stories, it has newly amended "facts" added ... first, it was the Captain sailing into the storm, then "we did not sail behind the storm. We were following it on NOAA ... " Or, was the ship in danger of sinking, taking on water. Or, was it both the ship & captain ...

Wait, didn't the Captain slow down the ship further from 15 knots to 10 knots, and that's pretty slow - way too slow to keep up (and/or follow) with the fast moving storm heading further northeast into the North Atlantic - that, along with changing course/directional headings. Whatever ...

I probably, really, shouldn't have commented further, anyway - tin foil hat is on against flaming. DW and I don't own NCL stocks & have no financial stakes nor stand to gain/lost anything out of all these. Bottomline, NCL has the "offer" - IMHO, take it & run with it.

I think the sad thing is that now their own people are questioning some of the posts. The person who posted a video stating that passengers were told to put on their lifejackets was disputed by others on their site that were on the cruise, saying there were no such announcements. Another person who keeps posting ships sinking, posted a picture of a ship and folks are asking him why is he posting ships that are not the Breakaway. So, their credibility has basically been shot. Some on the posts they post on NCL's FB pages, folks aren't buying what they are selling, especially when they keep saying their lives were in danger, which they weren't. Honesty gets you a lot, exaggerations get you very little.

Call me old school but I haven't seen a cruise line ship yet that sails into anything I call rough seas. Plus the video actually shows just how smooth the ride was on that ship. If people were puking it's because they probably would have been puking on calm seas because they didn't take a pill or patch because they were "seasoned" sea travelers or likely drunk because of the unlimited beverage package.

Want to see what rough seas look like, sign the dotted line and get paid to travel the world on a ship much smaller than a cruise ship that's larger than an aircraft carrier!! When you have to dog all hatchways and still have water coming in because the water is coming over the bow AND the bridge and the only way to stay in your bunk is to strap in. THEN you know rough seas.

Have you looks on You tube, there there. I have pictures of waves, I would estimate 30 to 40 ft. seas and the Beaufort scale was 10-12, past gale force winds which as we all know are worse than the sea swells. The wind was pushing the ship on its side by 10 degrees and every time it moved more we all wondered how much further it would list. 70+ cruises under my belt, a hurricane and a few nor easters. I have no problem with the Atlantic, I sail it 4 to 5 times a year but this was a bomb cyclone and the captain took us through Hatteras at the worst of it. It is a reasonable expectation that any cruise line would do its best to avoid storms and had we just slowed down an let the storm mover further north we probably would have been late but the ship would not have been damaged.