Packing

sfnew2sail

I pack what I want. So does hubby. It's not an issue for us. Don't know why everyone is intent on traveling for a week with 3 interchangeable outfits.

Trying to pack light is more of an issue when flying and also for those of us who prefer to carry our luggage onto the ship. I like to be able to get everything unpacked & organized right away, before we ever leave port. I will pack lighter when I sail Carnival, since I can always do laundry if need be. Sturdy clothes are sent out for laundry, since we now get that free. When I sail a different line, I tend to pack more because I don't want to have to pay for laundry & the other lines I sail don't all have self laundries.

I pack what I want. So does hubby. It's not an issue for us. Don't know why everyone is intent on traveling for a week with 3 interchangeable outfits.
I fly to the ports, and the cruise is rarely the only part of my trip. I need to be able to manage my luggage on trains, busses, and up and down stairs. It's a simple matter of making sure I pack what I can physically manage.

I am also a proud member of the Pack Light Club. We have done a week with only only a carry-on and personal item. It is considerably more than "'3 inter-changeable outfits" as cb suggested. I do not want to be lugging 3 or4 big, heavy suitcases around and waiting at baggage carousels just so I can bring what I want ( I am not a princess! LOL). We do not not use the laundry/pressing service extensively, but occasionally do. It is not that expensive for an item here or there. :)

I always overpack! Especially for a B2B Cruise. I want to be prepared for every “what if” situation. [emoji23]My goal though is to only bring two suitcases this time. I tend to only wear certain outfits and come home with lots of clothes I never even wore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruise for five or six weeks and only take one carry on luggage each and a tote bag each. Pack enough for one week and do laundry on the ship weekly. Two swimsuits, one swim cover-up, one pair of shorts one pair of capris, three tops that coordinate with shorts capris, two formal dresses, and about 5 or six casual dresses. I prefer wearing dresses they are cooler. Two sandals, one dress shoe, water shoes. We buy all toiletries in Ft Lauderdale before boarding. My husband brings his tux, shorts, tops and swimsuits and we are good to go

Sent from my SM-T377W using Forums mobile app

My husband and I both overpack. I would rather have stuff and not need it than not have what I want.

I don’t mind paying to check an extra bag or two on a flight. I just consider it part of the cost.

Especially on a cruise you don’t have to move your luggage too much. Porters get it on the ship. It’s delivered to your cabin. The reverse getting off.

A few years ago in a 12 night cruise I had 26 pairs of shoes, including hiking boots for a hike in st Kitts, 2 pairs of sneakers for the gym, lots of pretty heels. I wore all except 1 pair and only because I got a sunburn and couldn’t wear the outfit that went with those shoes.

On a 5 night cruise to Bermuda we checked 3 bags and each had our rolling carry one. Picture below

0d37496cc97da8785d57ba16fb77363c.jpg

We have a 12 night cruise coming up and I expect we’ll have at least 4 checked bags plus our rolling carryons. I haven’t packed yet to get the final count.

Everyone looks at over packing as a bad thing. I don’t think it’s bad. I am used to it. And like having options.

I say pack to your hearts content. Whatever makes you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't even own 26 pairs of shoes...

Of course, everyone should do what they are comfortable with - I wouldn't say how a person packs would be described as either bad or good. It really comes down to personal preference. While we check luggage on a plane, due to wanting larger toiletries, we prefer to carry on & off the ship - more so since hubby's cuff links went missing and he had to buy more on the ship. Since our luggage was not by our side, there was no way to know exactly when they left the suitcase. It wasn't smart packing them in the luggage - haven't done that since, either. I pack all electronics, jewelry & meds in my carryon now.