HAL loyal 4 star cruiser to try Azamara!

lizziebargain

Although I have been pretty happy with my multiple HAL cruises over the past 20 years, an offer came up that was too good to turn down. So I will be cruising on the Journey for 2 weeks late March from Singapore return to Borneo, Vietnam and Thailand. The best part was the single supplement was low as my DH does not care to cruise anymore. My total OOP was $5174 which includes air, transfers, balcony stateroom, single supplement,standard drinks, gratuities, one shore excursion and 2 nights at a 5* hotel. I purchased it 4.5 months ahead from a last minute, discount travel agent that I cannot name. I will try to report back on my experience compared to HAL.

Although I have been pretty happy with my multiple HAL cruises over the past 20 years, an offer came up that was too good to turn down. So I will be cruising on the Journey for 2 weeks late March from Singapore return to Borneo, Vietnam and Thailand. The best part was the single supplement was low as my DH does not care to cruise anymore. My total OOP was $5174 which includes air, transfers, balcony stateroom, single supplement,standard drinks, gratuities, one shore excursion and 2 nights at a 5* hotel. I purchased it 4.5 months ahead from a last minute, discount travel agent that I cannot name. I will try to report back on my experience compared to HAL.

Sounds like a very good deal. Good choice and hope you do report back.

Airfare from where and where is the "5* hotel located---are the two hotel nights extra or included in the 14 day package?

Azamara Journey - part of the RCCL family -an 18 year old ship

WIKI: The ship was built in 2000 by the Chantiers de l'Atlantique in Saint-Nazaire, the sixth ship of the comprehensive eight ships "R-Class" for Renaissance Cruises shipping company and was named R Six. The ship was sold in early 2001 to the Cruise Company Invest.

Due to illiquidity turned Renaissance Cruises end of September 2001 the operation and the R Six was launched mid-2003. She was then chartered to the cruise line Pullmantur Cruises and use of this under the marketing name for Blue Star Cruises (but not yet officially renamed). Since July 2005, the ship was called the Blue Dream.

From 2006, the ship was used by Pullmantur. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., the parent company of Pullmantur, transferred the Blue Dream on 15 December 2008 its new subsidiary Azamara Cruises, where it was renamed Azamara Journey; and since then with her sister ship Azamara Quest, the former R Seven, is used worldwide for cruises. Azamara Cruises has been renamed Azamara Club Cruises.

In 2015, the Azamara Journey and the Azamara Quest were the ships used by television presenter and biologist Nigel Marven for his UKTVdocumentary/travel program "Cruise Ship Adventures with Nigel Marven", during which Nigel showed areas with outstanding wildlife that can be visited in popular cruise destinations.[2]

Airfare was included from 45 North American cities-the 5* hotel is in Singapore and is one night free pre and post cruise. It was originally advertised for just one night precruise but since most of the return flights leave early a.m. we are receiving an extra night in Singapore gratis. I actually had a deposit on a HAL cruise for Feb 2019 but I cancelled it, as their single supplement is quite high-compared to this free upgrade to a balcony and a single supplement of under $1,000. Too good to pass up. I am getting excited and looking forward to everything BUT the 17 hr, 20 min non stop plane ride from SFO-SIN. It will be 24 hrs by the time I add in my first flight and transfer times .The funny thing is that I just hit 4 star status on my last cruise and I was looking forward to free laundry-my DH says that the free laundry actually would have been many thousands of dollars-lol!

Edited by lizziebargain

Thanks everyone. I will definitely report back after my return on April 9th. I believe this is part of their world cruise too, so I think they have a lot of complementary shuttles in the ports which will be handy.

Not so sure about the complimentary shuttles from that many hotels in Singapore to the cruise port (see if you can pin down the name of the hotel), and yes I recall they have a shuttle from the airport itself to the cruise port. Also an excellent hotel right in the airport that makes those early morning departures (or late arrivals) via the West Coast USA a little more doable.

But Singapore has an excellent transportation system that links up just about every location to the cruise port terminal - which may take a transfer or two. It is such a great city to be the beginning and end of a nice cruise.

Since Azamara is arranging these hotels as their bonus offer, they should also be offering a shuttle avaiable for its own passengers. If not, pack accordingly so you can wheel anything you are taking on the metro, or be prepared to use a cab.

I hear you about the single supplement with a balcony enticement. I just did a solo on HAL myself and had to choose an inside cabin to make it work out price wise - though they did offer a few ocean view cabins lat the last minute for a very small "upgrade" charge. Good to learn some lines do have good solo offers and I believe the newer HAL ships now have dedicated solo cabins. It is a market that needs more attention.

Ols Salt-I believe our whole group( 30 cabins) is staying at the Swiss Hotel Stamford so the shuttles should be just fine. The HAL cruise in the same area that I cancelled did cost less per day but like you it was an inside cabin with no air, gratuities, transfers, drinks etc so I think the final price would have been similar in the end for their inside. Albeit the HAL price could possibly go down closer to the sailing date. I have stayed at the airport hotel in Singapore and it was indeed quite lovely.

IMHO AZ is a very different experience as compared to HAL. First, the somewhat all-inclusive feature of AZ makes you a bit more relaxed and willing to indulge. Don't miss the White Night party, which is a big outdoor buffet with some good entertainment and dancing. Officers and staff on AZ mix and mingle with the passengers, if that interests you. One can easily get to know the entertainers on AZ. And the passengers are extremely outgoing on AZ, the coffee bar is a big mixing area. But note that there is not much going on on-board an AZ ship, so emphasize your port activities and bring some hobbies.

You'll simply love your Azamara experience, I'm absolutely sure of that! Even if the cabins are rather small ( oceanview or balcony cabins, haven't been in a suite yet) they have a modern outlook and feeling and the service on board is absolutely perfect, still better than any we have experienced on our HAL cruises.A small example to illustrate: We love Eggs Benedict and eating in the buffet, especially in the outer section to enjoy fresh air: so we order Eggs Benedict at the buffet counter, get a flag with number and perfectly hot and well-made eggs are brought to our chosen table...

The all-inclusive concept including gratuities and most drinks ( even decent bubbly :D ) , the AzAmazing evening concept, the White night party and buffet during each cruise ( bring something white to wear), evening entertainment we love all of it .... Before we discovered HAL we have been cruising Celebrity and Azamara quite a lot and would still love Azamara better if prices hadn't spiralled upwards so much.

So congratulations on your good deal and enjoy your cruise.

By the way - if you have already earned loyalty points at Celebrity cruises: your status is valid on Azamara, too. That might include free internet minutes and laundry - depends on your status.

Azamara Journey - part of the RCCL family -an 18 year old ship

WIKI: The ship was built in 2000 by the Chantiers de l'Atlantique in Saint-Nazaire, the sixth ship of the comprehensive eight ships "R-Class" for Renaissance Cruises shipping company and was named R Six. The ship was sold in early 2001 to the Cruise Company Invest.

Due to illiquidity turned Renaissance Cruises end of September 2001 the operation and the R Six was launched mid-2003. She was then chartered to the cruise line Pullmantur Cruises and use of this under the marketing name for Blue Star Cruises (but not yet officially renamed). Since July 2005, the ship was called the Blue Dream.

From 2006, the ship was used by Pullmantur. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., the parent company of Pullmantur, transferred the Blue Dream on 15 December 2008 its new subsidiary Azamara Cruises, where it was renamed Azamara Journey; and since then with her sister ship Azamara Quest, the former R Seven, is used worldwide for cruises. Azamara Cruises has been renamed Azamara Club Cruises.

In 2015, the Azamara Journey and the Azamara Quest were the ships used by television presenter and biologist Nigel Marven for his UKTVdocumentary/travel program "Cruise Ship Adventures with Nigel Marven", during which Nigel showed areas with outstanding wildlife that can be visited in popular cruise destinations.[2]

We sailed on the R-1 in 2000 from Athens to Istanbul. Loved that ship.

Lizziebargain - you got one! What a great deal. I, too, am anxious to see how you like Azamara. Keep us posted. BTW, I don't understand your DH's comment about about the free laundry costing "thousands of dollars"?

I am a four star Mariner and I prefer Azamara over HAL. HAL is constantly raising prices onboard drinks, wine packages, lattes and you name it. The Prinsendam is the only ship with HAL that compares to Azamara’s three ships in size. You will love your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we will be docking in town and enjoying 3 nights in Bangkok. When I consider that air fare, taxes, transfers, hotels ,drinks and gratuities and single supplement on HAL would I am sure cost at least $3,000 alone( if not more), and that would be for an inside cabin, I feel like it is a very good value. I am quite sure to enjoy the cruise at such an amazing price.