wheelchair rentals?

Kruzin Karen

My husband is scheduled for back surgery, and is developing serious mobility issues 3 weeks before our cruise. He is bound and determined to go, but no way can he get around a cruise ship. Will Carnival rent me a wheelchair while we're onboard? We have done this with Princess before for $25/day. Would I be able to take it ashore with us? Would we be able to take it on a tender boat if he can get off and on the tender under his own power? Thanks. New to handicapped procedures.

You will have to rent from one of the two approved suppliers. Scootaround and SpecialNeedsAtSea. They both have websites where you can make the reservation. They also rent mobility scooters, if he would rather have more independence. They will deliver the device to your room and you leave it there when you debark. Carnival offers wheelchair assistance for embarkation and debarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, Carnival ships do rent wheelchairs without a reservation from Guest Services desk for $50 with an $85 refundable deposit (have done this before for last minute injury), but it’s 1st come, 1st serve with limited stock.

Since you have advance notice, a reservation would be the smart way to go.

Near the top of the first page of this forum there is a search box. Use it to search "wheelchair assistance" and there are a bunch of threads that will come up regarding assistance with boarding and disembarkation.

There is a wealth of information there I think you will find useful.

My husband is scheduled for back surgery, and is developing serious mobility issues 3 weeks before our cruise. He is bound and determined to go, but no way can he get around a cruise ship. Will Carnival rent me a wheelchair while we're onboard? We have done this with Princess before for $25/day. Would I be able to take it ashore with us? Would we be able to take it on a tender boat if he can get off and on the tender under his own power? Thanks. New to handicapped procedures.

You can rent one from http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Actually, Carnival ships do rent wheelchairs without a reservation from Guest Services desk for $50 with an $85 refundable deposit (have done this before for last minute injury), but it’s 1st come, 1st serve with limited stock.

Since you have advance notice, a reservation would be the smart way to go.

While this may have worked for you with a last minute injury, its not policy.

From Carnival’s own FAQ:

WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE

Each terminal has a limited supply of wheelchairs used to transport guests onto and off the ship, so we are unable to loan you our wheelchairs for the duration of the cruise. If you need wheelchair assistance for boarding the ship, please contact one of our representatives once you arrive at the cruise terminal. Assistance will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. For assistance with debarkation, instructions on where to meet can be found in the Fun Times onboard newsletter distributed on the last evening of your cruise.

If you require the regular use of a wheelchair during the cruise, you will need to bring your own or rent one from a service provider. For your convenience, we have listed two wheelchair rental companies below:

Scootaround 1.888.441.7575

Website: https://www.scootaround.com/cruise-rentals external-link-icon.ashx?h=11&w=13

Special Needs at Sea 1.800.513.4515

Of course, you are free to select your own provider. Carnival does not endorse specific service providers. Consequently, you assume the risk of utilizing these third party services and are subject to their terms and conditions. Any issues that may arise regarding your rental, including refunds, must be handled directly with your chosen service provider.

If you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, or have an ADA complaint, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744ext.70025 or email access@carnival.com. Carnival's designated ADA Responsibility Officer is Vicky Rey, Vice President Guest Care and Port Services.

Advising someone who knows in advance of their mobility limitations to wait to get on the ship for a possibility of something not assuredly offered is incredibly poor advice.

I would just contact Carnival and tell them your circumstances. They would be able to direct you best.

On the Freedom in December I took a fall the first day of the cruise and was unable to walk. (I wound up tearing my quad tendon & required surgery upon return). They provided me a wheelchair for the remainder (6 days) of the cruise at no cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app