Flight home?

WiddyTwo

Hello! What is the earliest flight recommended out of San Juan on a Carnival Cruise docking at 7am in April? I have done some searching on google and old threads but I haven’t been able to find anything stating if timing at the airport has changed post hurricane.

My boyfriend and I are currently booked flying to San Juan from one airport, and home into another due to flight pricing. This morning a nonstop flight from San Juan at 11am has dropped significantly and would put us back at the same airport we left from.

We would obviously do self-debarked to get off ASAP. Just looking for experiences from others that have done an early flight, or experiences with SJU in general. Thanks!

Grab the 11 one, no problem.

Do line up for the earliest walk off the ship, grab a porter to get you through customs faster, and into a cab.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I recently (post hurricane) made a 9:30 flight, with plenty of time to spare. I actually spent an extra $150 for a back up flight at 11, in case I missed the 9:30 one.

I was at the airport around 8.

You are ahead of crowds, and port to airport is against the heavy traffic going into town, so 11 is absolutely doable.

Thanks for your input! I went ahead and booked the 11am flight yesterday. We fly Southwest so we were given the price drop in travel credit. I figured if we decide that 11am is to early, we’ll just rebook a later flight using the credit. Thank you for your tip about the porters. This was not something that I had come across before.

I would still love to hear experiences from anyone else that has had an early flight booked from San Juan!

Also don't forget once at SJU to do the agriculture check with your luggage (easily located in the terminal..look for the signage or ask) before checking into your airlines. You can't check in until you have done this.

Also don't forget once at SJU to do the agriculture check with your luggage (easily located in the terminal..look for the signage or ask) before checking into your airlines. You can't check in until you have done this.

I am confused about this comment. My husband and I flew out of San Juan airport (post cruise) recently on Jan. 13th. At no time did we undergo any agriculture check...either at the pier or the airport. There was no problem whatsoever with boarding or security at the airport.

You would have had to go through, they won't check your bags without the little sticker. I did not have a carry on, so I don't know it they get the same treatment

You probably did not realize that this is what you were doing, there is not a big deal about it being an ag inspection.

Your bag goes through a conveyor belt (looks like the regular security scanner), and a bored looking staffer slaps a little sticker on it when it comes out the other side.

Check your suitcases and look for a green sticker, about 4" X 1" that says "USDA- APHIS Inspected".

Not a big deal, takes seconds (if no line) . As stated, they are inside the terminal doors, before you get to the airline counters.

We flew out of SJU in November after a cruise. I was freaking out a bit because my husband had to be at work on Monday. Our flight left at 11:50. I freaked out for no reason.

We made sure we were one of the first off of the ship (NCL). We had no lines at customs...or anywhere else. We were actually at the airport too early to check our luggage.

No worries about getting a taxi. They were plentiful and they didn't wait for them to fill (we had a van to ourselves).

Enjoy your cruise!

I am considering booking a 10:15 flight out of SJU after arriving back on the Adventurer of the Seas at 6am in March. I called RCC customer service and the rep told me if we carried our bags off and took a cab we should be able to be off the ship by 7:30 and on our way. How do you guys all feel about this?

I am considering booking a 10:15 flight out of SJU after arriving back on the Adventurer of the Seas at 6am in March. I called RCC customer service and the rep told me if we carried our bags off and took a cab we should be able to be off the ship by 7:30 and on our way. How do you guys all feel about this?

We had no choice after AA changed our flights numerous times and ended up having a 10:30am flight from SJU. We self disembarked used a taxi and were easily at the airport through the AG. check (also TSA was closed) and sitting at our departure gate before 9:00am.

• 2 months later...
Glad to read this thread. We have the choice of a 10:22A or 2:45P flight. Would much prefer the earlier time to get to the West Coast from San Juan at a decent time. Thank you

I'm a "West Coast" flyer so I would say take that earlier flight. Just be in the first group off the ship...it's always been easy for us to manage and I'm hopeful it will be for you too.