Private Tours on Havana Overnight Questions

Irishdi

1. Can anyone tell me if they have been able to do private tours in Cuba even if they booked their cruise after June 2017? We are looking to book something with a company called Shoretrips.

2. Do you need to book a tour on both days in Havana in order to be able to get off the ship? Or is it enough that you booked a tour on the 1st day? I see that people easily get off the ship after having completed a tour and go out on their own later in the day. Just not sure what has been done on Day 2 in Havana.

Thanks for your help! Going on Empress 3/26/18

1. Can anyone tell me if they have been able to do private tours in Cuba even if they booked their cruise after June 2017? We are looking to book something with a company called Shoretrips.

2. Do you need to book a tour on both days in Havana in order to be able to get off the ship? Or is it enough that you booked a tour on the 1st day? I see that people easily get off the ship after having completed a tour and go out on their own later in the day. Just not sure what has been done on Day 2 in Havana.

Thanks for your help! Going on Empress 3/26/18

You can get off the ship as soon as the ship is cleared. Doesn't matter if you plan to walk around on your own, take a private tour or a ship tour. No one cares what you do....there are no "monitors" or police to watch you. You can move around freely. Just go through immigration and exchange your money. Then have fun whatever you do....Cuba is one of my favorite places.

We took one ship tour, one private tour, and did 3 days on our own. Check out the many threads on this board because this topic has been discussed many times.

Dear Go-Bucks,

You have the recent specific experience that I have been hoping to find. We will be in port 2 days and 2 nights. I booked a ship excursion on day 1 and a private tour on day 2. Any advice about the visa requirement? I was hoping to use support for the Cuban people to cover both days, although I think for day 1 with the ship tour I could use people to people. I wanted to apply for 1 visa to cover both days. Thank you. Baltimore Cruise

Go-Bucks, that’s useful info. I really don’t want to book a tour via RCL...usually overpriced and crowded.

Do we need to book a private tour beforehand, or can we just wander off the ship and find a tour guide when we land....does this meet US government requirements?

I also booked after the effective date of the new regulations, used "Support the Cuban People" and did a private tour and independent touring. We did book our tour ahead of time to get a great tour at a great price and to have written proof of our plans if we needed it for either the cruise line or if Treasury comes calling. You won't get a written receipt for anything in Cuba, so having those emails between the guide can serve as your proof of your activities. Azamara was actively trying to get people to use their tours by telling them their plans couldn't get them a Visa and they wouldn't be allowed off the ship without booking a ship's tour, but they didn't do that to us.

I can't recommend our tour highly enough. Our guide was George and we booked with Tours by Blexie. blexie100588@gmail.com. He's a private citizen, not affiliated with the government, and he works with a few other private citizens, all who speak English, and many other languages, beautifully. The tour was fascinating and educational, completely compliant with the new regulations and only $130 CUC for a guide, car and driver for a full day.

Our second day in Havana we explored on our own. You get one VISA for both days (Support the Cuban People) and after the first time through Cuban Immigration control they just look at your passport as you go through each time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dear Go-Bucks,

You have the recent specific experience that I have been hoping to find. We will be in port 2 days and 2 nights. I booked a ship excursion on day 1 and a private tour on day 2. Any advice about the visa requirement? I was hoping to use support for the Cuban people to cover both days, although I think for day 1 with the ship tour I could use people to people. I wanted to apply for 1 visa to cover both days. Thank you. Baltimore Cruise

The visa to enter Cuba and the affidavit that the United States government requires an American tourist visiting Cuba to get are 2 different things.

1) The visa is a Cuban government requirement to allow Americans to enter their country. Not sure if Cuba requires citizens from other countries to get a visa. If you fly to Cuba, you can buy the visa at the American airport where you leave from. If you cruise there, your ship will provide this to you - it cost me $75 and was payable to my cruiseline at final payment. (Many countries require visas to enter their countries). I was given the visa at embarkation and showed it to the first Cuban customs person - they gave it back to me and I had to show it at the next 2 ports. The final port kept the visa. I went to 3 different ports in Cuba.

2) The affidavit that the American government requires it's citizens to fill out is totally separate from the visa. When I sailed (Dec, 2017), I had to fill out an affidavit at embarkation. The cruiseline highlighted the 3 options (out of 12 possible) that I was to initial and then sign. At that time it was 3 different types of the People-to-People option. I've read on CC that now that option is gone and everyone is doing Support for Cuban People. No matter which, you'll sign 2 copies and the cruiseline keeps one and you get one. But.....you just need to file it away because you'll never need to show it anywhere in Cuba - they don't care about it! It's an American government thing. I just have it in my little file with my journal, pictures, and other receipts from my trip in case some bored little government worker comes knocking on my door in a few years to inspect my documents!! :rolleyes:

You can definitely book private tours or just wander around. You do not need to book tours through the cruiseline! Sadly, I think they're using people's fears and confusion as a way to make a bunch of money. We used cubaguider.com and Fernando Mora. Both were excellent - especially Fernando. We didn't actually see people on the street selling tours. In Havana, those who have a classic car and will drive you around the city for an hour or 2 are available. We did that and it was great! Some guys are standing across the street from the cruise terminal, but we went near the Capitol building where there were tons of cars and got our tour guy. He charged us 40CUC (equals $40) for both of us for 1 hr. in a gorgeous 1957 pink and white Chrysler that looked brand new. He didn't know much English, but enough to tell us what we were seeing. If you want a real tour, book ahead.

Yuri (cubaguider.com) charged 45CUC/pp. Fernando (fernando8205@nauta.cu) charged 70CUC/pp, but that was the cost for doing the things we planned to do - we created our own itinerary with a private car, driver and guide including lunch! Hope that helps.

Edited by Go-Bucks!
o

Just took a private Cuba shore trip with Blexie. We had a fabulous tour with Bill, one of Blexie's guides and a driver in an old car. The important thing to remember is that you are checking off "in support of the cuban people" NOT people to people on your visa application. The ship tours were not as good according to those who went on them. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the information. I'm on Royal Caribbean and they have me questioning whether I can keep my private tour.

A friend of mine is sailing to Cuba on RC in May. She said the info they are giving out is making people think you have to book with them, but when she called she found out otherwise. Her group has the Old Car tours booked.

A friend of mine is sailing to Cuba on RC in May. She said the info they are giving out is making people think you have to book with them, but when she called she found out otherwise. Her group has the Old Car tours booked.

Yes, me too! I am very confused, because I'm going on a RC cruise to Cuba in April. I called them today and was told that we have to book an excursion both days that we are in Havana if we want to get off the ship. Alternatively, we could get the visa through the embassy if we want to venture out on our own. I have family in Cuba (distant relatives), so am willing to do an excursion on one day, and the next, visit with them. But they made me think this was practically impossible.

Yes, me too! I am very confused, because I'm going on a RC cruise to Cuba in April. I called them today and was told that we have to book an excursion both days that we are in Havana if we want to get off the ship. Alternatively, we could get the visa through the embassy if we want to venture out on our own. I have family in Cuba (distant relatives), so am willing to do an excursion on one day, and the next, visit with them. But they made me think this was practically impossible.

Sounds like bullying to me. I don't see how they can deny providing you a visa (if they're buying them for all other passengers) just because you won't purchase their excursions. This is not how it was done for those of us who have recently been to Cuba and have posted our experiences.

My cruiseline charged me $75 for the visa, but they actually purchased it and gave it to me at embarkation. It had NOTHING to do with excursions - it's a requirement of the Cuban government for any foreigners to enter their country. People who fly to Cuba have to get one too. You will then choose your type of visit on the affidavit (supporting Cuban people) and sign it. This is an American government requirement. You do NOT have to purchase ship tours.....they're just trying to sell them by scaring people.

**The only caveat is if you were born in Cuba....there are special procedures for them because the Cuban government considers them still Cuban citizens even if they hold an American passport. Ask your travel agent for clarification if this is the case.**

Sounds like bullying to me. I don't see how they can deny providing you a visa (if they're buying them for all other passengers) just because you won't purchase their excursions. This is not how it was done for those of us who have recently been to Cuba and have posted our experiences.

My cruiseline charged me $75 for the visa, but they actually purchased it and gave it to me at embarkation. It had NOTHING to do with excursions - it's a requirement of the Cuban government for any foreigners to enter their country. People who fly to Cuba have to get one too. You will then choose your type of visit on the affidavit (supporting Cuban people) and sign it. This is an American government requirement. You do NOT have to purchase ship tours.....they're just trying to sell them by scaring people.

**The only caveat is if you were born in Cuba....there are special procedures for them because the Cuban government considers them still Cuban citizens even if they hold an American passport. Ask your travel agent for clarification if this is the case.**

Thank you! I'm starting to think you are correct here! I will call them again tomorrow to clarify. I was just on the Havanacar.net site and would love to consider one of these tours, as well as one of the evening shows somewhere. I think I want nothing to do with any of the RC excursions at this point. Argh. I am ok, as I was born in the US, but one of my travel partners is Cuban-born and is awaiting her Cuban visa. We'll have to check on her ability to walk around on her own. Thanks again!

I was just on the Havanacar.net site and would love to consider one of these tours

We walked to a large square near the Capitol building (the dome can be seen from anywhere in Old Havana) where there were tons of classic cars and negotiated for our own private tour in a gorgeous 1957 pink and white Chrysler convertible! It cost the standard price - $40 (40CUC) for a 1 hour tour, plus tip. And he even dropped us off back at the ship. On our way to the square, we spent about 7 hrs wandering around on back streets talking to locals (many speak English), going in small shops, cafes, a pharmacy museum, sitting in a park watching kids play soccer and people walk their dogs, and go to a church service. It was so fun to see how the locals live and talk to many of them.

as well as one of the evening shows somewhere.

We attended the Buena Vista Social Club show at the gorgeous Melia Cohiba hotel - right on the malecon. The show was fantastic!! It's Cuban/latin jazz music, with dancers and singers in addition to the band. I don't care for Las Vegas-type shows so we skipped the Tropicana.

We attended the Buena Vista Social Club show at the gorgeous Melia Cohiba hotel - right on the malecon. The show was fantastic!! It's Cuban/latin jazz music, with dancers and singers in addition to the band. I don't care for Las Vegas-type shows so we skipped the Tropicana.

Great info! Thank you! Quick question - the "Support for Cuban People" rule is as follows:

Support for the Cuban people.I am traveling to Cuba to engage with recognized human rights organizations, independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy, or individuals and nongovernmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND myschedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule (31 C.F.R. § 515.574).

How does walking around on our own or using private tour guides in Cuba satisfy this requirement?

We used private guides in Havana and Santiago & set up prior to arrival. Our visa was added to our cruise fare both with NCL & Fathom as people to people and no problems. In Havana we used Lino Blanco & his friend Alain Santana. Spent the entire day touring in a'50 Chevy & '56 Buick, both convertibles. Contact Lino by email at lino.blanco1983@nauta.cu. We had great walking tour of Old Havana with Dayron thru Tours by Locals. In Santiago we used Yuri at http://www.cubaguider.com or email at Yuri.arcayaborrego@nauta.cu. I think Yuri has also been giving tours in Havana at times. Enjoy your time in Cuba on your own with private tours. You will see more and the money will go to private citizens.

@GoBucks

Was the Buena Vista Social Club visit a tour or did you go on your own??

Definitely something we'd like to do!

We were on an Oceania ship tour only because we got 2 free excursions from the cruise line. They took us to the hotel by bus but it wasn't very far from the cruise terminal. We were served free appetizers and a free drink before the show started..

There were other guests there who were not from the ship so you must be able to go on your own. It was at the Melia Cohiba Hotel so I suggest googling that and the name of the show.

Great info! Thank you! Quick question - the "Support for Cuban People" rule is as follows:

Support for the Cuban people.I am traveling to Cuba to engage with recognized human rights organizations, independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy, or individuals and nongovernmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; AND myschedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule (31 C.F.R. § 515.574).

How does walking around on our own or using private tour guides in Cuba satisfy this requirement?

It doesn't. It's just what people are currently getting away with.

Just walking around wouldn't satisfy the requirements. But if you are supporting private businesses and having meaningful exchanges with private citizens while you learn about their country, that would. Using a private guide helps, because unless you are a jerk, you'll be talking to your guide all day asking questions about their culture and sharing information about yours. But we found the Cuban People to be interesting and interested and therefore very eager to talk to us even in the day we did not have our guide with us.

This example of permissible travel from the Treasury Department might help explain it.

Example 1 to § 515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler’s activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual’s qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual’s travel qualifies for the general license.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People are getting away with doing whatever they want to do and claiming "support for the Cuban people" just like they were getting away with it when they chose the late lamented self guided people to people option. Nobody has ever been checked by Treasury Department. Just go and enjoy yourself.