Cruise Critic Community
Evanator

La Romana, DR

Good Day Fellow Carnival Cruisers! Doing some research for my upcoming Cruise on the Vista. From reading here we have become abit apprehensive about the La Romana port. Many replies mention the Seavis Saona Island excursion. Can you purchase that in port? We try hard not to book things through the ship because of $$. Also

would love to hear a few "to do's" and "not to do's" here. Thanks!

We just walked from the ship into town (probably about a mile and a half). Took the bus back to the ship when we met up with friends while in town.

You can pre-book with Seavis.

The Saona excursion was beautiful & worth it. We had no problems in La Romana, but I'm a PR native. Nothing wrong to me but it's been a few years.

We bought some art then took it back to our cabin. We went out the front gate, turned right. Bought a $7pp bus ticket and went to the little recreated village place. It was ok, it's part of a golf resort. Got to see some nice scenery.

Good Day Fellow Carnival Cruisers! Doing some research for my upcoming Cruise on the Vista. From reading here we have become abit apprehensive about the La Romana port. Many replies mention the Seavis Saona Island excursion. Can you purchase that in port? We try hard not to book things through the ship because of $$. Also

would love to hear a few "to do's" and "not to do's" here. Thanks!

Hi Evanator, we may be on the same sailing - Feb. 10-18 ??? WE are going to grab a cab to the caves: Cueva de las Maravillas (Caves of Wonder, National Park). Looks to be about 20 min. west of La Romana. the cave tour should be about an hour. There is a $10 pp entrance fee that includes your tour guide.

Hi Evanator, we may be on the same sailing - Feb. 10-18 ??? WE are going to grab a cab to the caves: Cueva de las Maravillas (Caves of Wonder, National Park). Looks to be about 20 min. west of La Romana. the cave tour should be about an hour. There is a $10 pp entrance fee that includes your tour guide.

We were just at the Caves last week on a HAL excursion. We thought they were great and well worth visiting. The tour was about 45 minutes. We usually don’t do excursions from the ship but due to strong winds, we were unable to tender at Punta Cana. So, at the last minute, we decided to book a ship tour. The tour was $59 pp and included the caves, a shopping stop in the town of La Romana and a stop at Casa de Campo and the Altos du Chavon village. The whole tour was 4.5 hours, 1 hour longer than advertised. You will enjoy the caves.

Hi! Im a DR native and the Caves are a good choice. It is more like a 30 min drive from port, but I think its worth it.

When you enter the caves do you come out the same way. One of our party members has bad eyesight and would have to wait for us outside. Carnival ship tour

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would love some information for La Romana, previously we did Catalina Island as a ship excursion. We will be visiting again and we just want a beach day close to port. Is it safe to take taxis? Is there any really close beaches?

When you enter the caves do you come out the same way. One of our party members has bad eyesight and would have to wait for us outside. Carnival ship tour

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No. You exit a different way.

There are a few ports where I just feel safer booking a Carnival excursion and this is one of them.

Why? This is one of our favorite ports to book an independent, feel very safe here and the ops like Seavis and Pro Excursions are top-notch!

Would love some information for La Romana, previously we did Catalina Island as a ship excursion. We will be visiting again and we just want a beach day close to port. Is it safe to take taxis? Is there any really close beaches?

Search other threads on La Romana, you’ll find ideas for Bayahibe and Dominicus beaches via taxi.

You can book Seavis Saona tour online through their website. We've done it before - just took cash to pay upon arrival. I liked that we didn't have to pay anything online at time of booking.

The Seavis Saona Special is one of our favorite excursions, but Sunsetters is looking for a beach day so Bayahibe and Dominicus beaches came to mind. I had posted more details on these beaches in another recent thread, they are not close to port and a taxi would be required.