Carnival Freedom Dry Dock 2019

bugsokc

5 hours ago, Dozerwarrior said:

We had FTTF on a cruise that was delayed by an hour due to weather a few years back. We needed it more that time than we ever had before!! The place was a mad house!!! I think half of the people just went ahead and showed up anyway and there were lines all the way down the front of the building. We still walked right in, checked in, and waited for FTTF to be called. So much less hassle than everyone else had!!

This is what I am hoping is the case. I was going to cancel it but knowing it is a spring break cruise I figured I would stick it out. Being that my husband can get a bit cranky in crowds anything will help. Thank you for the positive outlook!

• Like 1

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:460110/zoom:10

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:460110/mmsi:371154000/imo:9333149/vessel:CARNIVAL_FREEDOM

Looks like she is doing 2.8kn and her projected course appears to be a zig zag of sorts. She's projected to arrive in Galveston at 1:32pm on Saturday if her course and speed remain constant.

Edited by roundrockhorn
add another link

Just curious, does anyone know if the Freedom will stop in Miami to load up all of their supplies, et?  I'll be watching the ship tracker tonight.  It would make sense being their home port that they would have everything all set there to load onto the ship so that the crew has the next 2 days to get everything cleaned up and ready to go.  I can't imagine them arriving in Galveston at 1:30 on Saturday and be ready to load passengers an hour or two later.  With no ships in port overnight in Miami, it seems like a logical place to stop for 6 to 8 hours to pick up all of the food, linens, booze, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

They will load her up in Galveston on Saturday, Galveston is her home port. While passengers are going onboard, the dock will be buzzing with forklifts taking supplies to the ship. As you're walking up to the terminal you'll see the 18 wheelers to the left.

Edited by Lottacruises

Just did a quick search on Facebook and a gentleman named Dale White posted this three hours ago:

I asked John Heald, Carnival's Brand Ambassador and Senior Cruise Director about what was done to Freedom in the dry dock. He says, "She received a brand new water works with new amazing slides and loads of fun for the family. There is also a brand new deli, a new Bonzai sushi express. There was some cabin upgrades with USB chargers and lots of new carpet’s and decking. She is going to look fantastic and ready to give you the best of times."

• Like 5

Looking at vessel finder, the ETA into Galveston is not until 7:32 PM on Saturday night.  I hope that's wrong.

Marine traffic is indicating an ETA of 6:12 am on Saturday.

Does anyone know which website tends to be more accurate?  I'm hoping Marine Traffic is the better one.

51 minutes ago, PlanoDebbie said:

Found cruisemapper now too.  

According to this website our ship is well past Key West and currently located at:

N 24° 86' 51"

W 83° 37' 31"

This site doesnt give an ETA.

She's moving at 17kn or roughly 19.6mph (divide knots by .86898 to get speed in mph) according to cruise mapper. As she gets further into the Gulf, she should pick up a tail wind and some speed too. Not sure how far, exactly, it is from her current position to Galveston, but it's only a day's sailing from Galveston to Key West if they're "steaming" or not "taking their time" like they would on a normal cruise. At her present course and speed, I think she will arrive in Galveston sometime Saturday morning with time to spare before she sails again that night. 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:10 PM, PlanoDebbie said:

Looking at vessel finder, the ETA into Galveston is not until 7:32 PM on Saturday night.  I hope that's wrong.

Marine traffic is indicating an ETA of 6:12 am on Saturday.

Does anyone know which website tends to be more accurate?  I'm hoping Marine Traffic is the better one.

Neither marinetraffic nor vesselfinder, and certainly not cruisemapper are "accurate" when ships are outside of land based AIS range (about 30 miles from a land station).  Marinetraffic and vesselfinder will show the last reported position when out of range, but cruisemapper will extrapolate a position from the voyage plan (heading, speed), which has produced some comical results when a ship diverts for any reason.  Both vesselfinder and marinetraffic use the ETA that is input by the ship's navigating officer, so some may have picked up an update from the ship when a satellite AIS signal is picked up by the website.  You can pay to get these satellite AIS positions, but the updates are limited to a couple of times a day, so they are not real accurate either.

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Neither marinetraffic nor vesselfinder, and certainly not cruisemapper are "accurate" when ships are outside of land based AIS range (about 30 miles from a land station).  Marinetraffic and vesselfinder will show the last reported position when out of range, but cruisemapper will extrapolate a position from the voyage plan (heading, speed), which has produced some comical results when a ship diverts for any reason.  Both vesselfinder and marinetraffic use the ETA that is input by the ship's navigating officer, so some may have picked up an update from the ship when a satellite AIS signal is picked up by the website.  You can pay to get these satellite AIS positions, but the updates are limited to a couple of times a day, so they are not real accurate either.

Thanks Cheng! Old salts like you and me, understand how that stuff works, how to calculate Kn to MPH, etc. I think the best explanation, is to say that these sites give last reported position and are based on available data at the time. Looking at the last course and speed reported, one could reasonably extrapolate an estimated ETA or a change therein, based on what was reported and what some of us know based on experience. I'd like to think that I predicted it pretty close to the mark, give or take an hour. 

Question though. Do the Cruise ships get close, such as off the coast of Galveston, and jog for a bit before getting clearance to enter the channel? I've always wondered about that.