Question Regarding Evening Attire

misgnomer

My father-in-law wears "hawaiian print" shirts with collars and is planning to bring only those for our 10 night cruise. He also has dress shorts to wear with them.

Do you foresee any issue in the main dining room? I assume on formal nights, but the rest of the time should be fine?

Men are asked to wear long pants in the MDR. On smart casual nights the long pants may be jeans without holes. On gala nights men are asked not to wear jeans in the MDR.

The collared Hawaiian shirts would meet the dress code.

Shorts are acceptable attire in the buffet at any time. m--

Please check the Holland America website for details on their dress code. It will tell you exactly what is allowed and not allowed on Gala nights and other nights. Shorts are appropriate only for the buffet or other very casual venues. A search on these boards will also provide all the information that you could possibly want.

My father-in-law wears "hawaiian print" shirts with collars and is planning to bring only those for our 10 night cruise. He also has dress shorts to wear with them.

Do you foresee any issue in the main dining room? I assume on formal nights, but the rest of the time should be fine?

As others have said, the shirts will be fine...with long pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAL no longer has formal nights. They are now called Gala nights.

Many mean wear the same type of clothing on Gala nights as they do on smart casual nights -- slacks and collared shirts. No shorts or Bermudas in the dining room for dinner. But your father-in-law's Hawaiian shirts will be fine.

My husband wears a lot of tropical shirts, but he likes the more subdues ones (imagine black or dark navy backgrounds with no neon colors). He has very light colored ones, too, and several polo shirts with palm trees prints.

He wears these in the dining room almost every night except formal/gala with dark slacks, or tan slacks for the light colored shirts.

My husband wears a lot of tropical shirts, but he likes the more subdues ones (imagine black or dark navy backgrounds with no neon colors). He has very light colored ones, too, and several polo shirts with palm trees prints.

He wears these in the dining room almost every night except formal/gala with dark slacks, or tan slacks for the light colored shirts.

My husband also has some very nice tropical print shirts and he wears them in the MDR with beige pants and he looks great!

My husband also has some very nice tropical print shirts and he wears them in the MDR with beige pants and he looks great!

If you ever cruise to the South Pacific, or to Fiji out of NZ or Australia, they have really wonderful cotton tropical shirts for sale. My husband bought some in American Samoa and Fiji, and the prints are entirely different than Hawaiian prints. Mostly beige background with black or navy traditional prints. I love those shirts on him.