London to Stansted

Hello,

Please advise on the best way to travel to Stansted. Our flight is at 10:35 AM Ryan Airlines. We are staying at Premier Inn Blackfriars in London. Two people. We prefer to not have the expense of a taxi and realize that this time period is Monday rush hour. One alternative is to stay the night at a Stansted airport hotel. Thanks!

There is a direct train from Liverpool Street Station; fast and frequent, about every 15/20 minutes and a 50-minute trip. Fare is £17.00. Stanstead Airport Station is actually underneath the terminal building.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/timetables

You would probably want to take a taxi (Uber?) from your hotel to Liverpool St. It's only a couple of miles so around £10. You should aim to leave your hotel at around 6:00 to 6:30 to be reasonably safe.

How are you arriving in London? Blackfriars to Stansted is not the easiest at Monday rush hour ,assuming you need to book in by 8.30am, you will have to leave hotel by 6.30am and catch a train from Liverpool street by 7ish.

If I was you I would stay at Stunted, as any problems will see you miss the flight. Where are you flying to?

If you haven't flown with Ryanair before, make sure you are fully aware of their luggage and boarding pass rules.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

the comment above is so important it should be in capital letters. The standard baggage allowance for Ryan Air is 15Kg and they will charge you extra for checking in at the airport. Print your boarding passes before leaving home.

Another option for your travel is to stay the night before at the premier inn at Stratford, London and catch the A9 National Express coach from Stratford in the morning. This avoids rush hour travel.

You should still take the train from Liverpool St Station though. No need to book; just turn up and pay at the station.

And a taxi is still your best bet to get from the hotel to the station.

Blackfriars to Liverpool Street Station is an easy ride on the Tube - direct and only 6 stops. Going by taxi will be longer and especially so in the rush hour as Ludgate gets choked with traffic, especially by St Paul's. However it depends if you're weighed down with luggage - but probably not if you're flying Ryanair. The Stansted Express is fast and convenient and much cheaper if booked in advance - fares from £7 whereas fares on the day are £17.

If you decide to stay at Stansted, there is a selection of hotels including a Premier Inn which was supposed to be walkable (but not sure about that) and there is also a Radisson immediately next to the terminal and is connected by a pathway - only a couple of minutes walk - lovely hotel.

Should you stick with your original plan, you will need to get to Liverpool Street no later than 7 am, buy your train tickets in advance on line and also check in for Ryanair on line and print out your boarding passes.

Blackfriars to Liverpool Street Station is an easy ride on the Tube - direct and only 6 stops. Going by taxi will be longer and especially so in the rush hour as Ludgate gets choked with traffic, especially by St Paul's. However it depends if you're weighed down with luggage - but probably not if you're flying Ryanair. The Stansted Express is fast and convenient and much cheaper if booked in advance - fares from £7 whereas fares on the day are £17.

If you decide to stay at Stansted, there is a selection of hotels including a Premier Inn which was supposed to be walkable (but not sure about that) and there is also a Radisson immediately next to the terminal and is connected by a pathway - only a couple of minutes walk - lovely hotel.

Should you stick with your original plan, you will need to get to Liverpool Street no later than 7 am, buy your train tickets in advance on line and also check in for Ryanair on line and print out your boarding passes.

I agree that the Radisson is a nice hotel. Personally, unless you really want to spend the night in London, I would travel to Stansted the evening before you fly out, and have a stress free morning. Flying with Ryanair, you don't want any more stress in your life!

You should still take the train from Liverpool St Station though. No need to book; just turn up and pay at the station.

And a taxi is still your best bet to get from the hotel to the station.

There’s no NEED to book, but Advance fares are available and save money (and time on the day).

I’d take the tube from Blackfriars, which is a couple of minutes walk from the OP’s hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Based on your replies, we decided it was prudent to stay at Stansted the night before. This is our first Ryan Air adventure, but it is the most affordable way to get to Poland despite some baggage addons. We have flown LOT, Norwegian, and Frontier, so we have some experience with the bare bones model in flying.

According to Ryanair's website:

Ryanair’s new bag policy went live today (15 Jan) offering:

– Lower check-in bag fees (down from €/£35 to €/£25 per check-in bag)

Bigger check-in bag allowances (up from 15kg to 20kg)

– 2 free carry-on bag allowance for all customers continues

– Non-priority customers can bring 2 free carry-on bags but will be required to put the bigger of the 2 bags in the hold – free of charge – at the boarding gate to avoid boarding delays and/or baggage offloads.

Priority Boarding can be purchased at time of flight booking for just €/£5 or added for €/£6 up to 30 minutes before scheduled departure time on the Ryanair App.

I hope this helps anyone planning their flight.

Waggie

Based on your replies, we decided it was prudent to stay at Stansted the night before. This is our first Ryan Air adventure, but it is the most affordable way to get to Poland despite some baggage addons. We have flown LOT, Norwegian, and Frontier, so we have some experience with the bare bones model in flying.
Good call!

• 2 weeks later...
Good call!
I agree. I refer honourable members to the Cheap Flights video linked to in my signature. Particularly the verse that starts "Now I don't know if you've tried locating Stansted on a map" - direct link