Cape Town to Singapore

Chairsin

Here are a few photos from Reunion. I really like the island as it has an authentic French feel to it. It is, after all, part of France. Anyway, it is very scenic with a mountainous center. Anyway, these are the three photos I have chosen.

A gecko (Gordon?) who was hanging out at the vanilla plantation we visited. One of the many waterfalls we saw and the evening clouds as we were leaving.

RpPNsy.jpg

YWBqTr.jpg

DblUJR.jpg

We are now passed the two week point of this cruise. While I do agree that there are some service issues in the restaurant, it hasn’t detracted from the cruise experience for us.

I remarked last night that we have really enjoyed the food, especially in the evening.

A few nights ago Sophie conducted a wonderful show tunes program out on the pool deck. The warm tropical weather we are now experiencing make the evening activities outside especially nice.

We really enjoyed both Reunion and Mauritius. I wish we had more time in St Denis Reunion, so anyone reading this thread for the itinerary, consider that. The inner island waterfalls in Salazie were worth the drive.

Mauritius needs more than a few days imo. This was a great introduction and I would love to return for a few weeks.

The Central Market and Chinatown were interesting, and the beaches are great. The upcountry area around Curepipe is also nice.

A guest chef from India has boarded the ship, so we look forward to his culinary contributions. The Indian Market dinner is in two days....

While my photographic expertise pales in the company of Roxburgh and his great new camera, I will offer up a few of my iPhone photos when WiFi permits...

Happy sailing!

This does seem a rather strange cruise - at least to me. Wanting a winter break I remember looking at it and thinking . . . why would anyone book it? I only cruise for the itinerary and I feel South Africa isn't a cruise destination. Then Madagascar was dropped which might have been a draw for me. Reunion and Mauritius? Not really, though both are lovely islands. Then four days up to Male. Male?? That's an awful dump and currently suffering from a lot of civil strife. The Maldives are on the brink of a revolution. And what can a ship without zodiacs do in the Maldives? Not much. Surely the Seychelles would have been far nicer. So loads of sea days and not much to do except whinge about the house wines and sloppy service. Not my idea of a cruise.

Then the next leg. Three days in Burma which is probably OK but missing out on the Andaman Islands. Then it's just tourist traps like Phuket. Yes, for me, a strange idea of a cruise. So glad I went on the Quest instead!

Fletcher ;Yes, we missed Madagascar , but for us South Africa was a good beginning point, It gave us an excuse to go on a Safari for one...and though not the best of ports, it was interesting. Yes, like all cruises there are a few not so great ports

I am glad we visited what at least for me were fairly out of the way but beautiful places like Reunion, Mauritius and the Maldives. You left out Sri Lanka, I’m looking forward to Colombo. Yes, Myanmar should also be good, we are getting off the ship for a few days, I love the overnights on extended cruises.

Also they added Georgetown Panang which I’ve wanted to visit, it has some wonderful street art I’ve only seen pictures of...

Lastly, tropical sea days in between interesting ports, there’s nothing wrong with that!

Sea dazed....

Quite agree that I and many others were sorry that we did not get to Madagascar and wish an interesting option was substituted. But as Kevnzworld and others on this cruise posted there were numerous other compelling reasons to book this itinerary and I guess I would take issue at it being characterized as a throwaway itinerary. The bottom lime is if it is not an itinerary that appeals to some that also is fine - no need to book it.

Yesterday wax the first of four more sea days and much of the days there was enough of a chop from side to side that some of us felt a bit queasy until we had a chance to have breakfast.And speaking of food, we had a very good Cooking Demo from the guest Indian chef. He had a vey good sense of humor and prepared and interesting double marinated cod steamed in banana leaves. And to continue with the Indian theme of the day one of our friends arranged with our sous chef Frank, who is also Indian, for him to prepare a special Indian meal for five of us last night. We left the whole menu up to him and were thrilled at the result. What an amazing array of dishes starting with two breads - a Rava dosa (a lacy crisp rice flour crepe like bread rolled up) and a lovely tender naan. Then he brought three communal casserole dishes one with a creamy spicy seasoned yoghurt sauce with chunks of tender paneer, a zippy chicken curry and baby lamb chops buried in a big mound of rice with currents and cashews. And of course there was mango chutney and wonderfully chunky raita on the side to cool things down. For those who missed out there will be an Indian Spice Market dinner in a couple of nights.

Today calmer seas and very hot. As we speak the chef and Hotel Manager are on the Patio cooking the fish we purchased a couple of days ago at the market in Mauritius.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, King Neptune ?Rules. Defer to him and you will have a happy and safe life.

On our cruise it was Lord Neptune as a real live peer of the realm stepped into the role.

Photos to follow.

Male today. Really hot and really humid. We might need a bag of laundry per day at this rate. Bustling town and got some good photos of the market.

They will follow too.

Two days ago we were in the Doldrums - literally not emotionally. It’s a part of the Indian Ocean the Captain said sailing ships in the days of old might get trapped for weeks due to the lack of wind. And yesterday, as Roxburgh noted the we crossed the equator and celebrated in the afternoon in spirited fashion. King Neptune, in all of his regalia, presided over the sentencing of crew members accused of crimes from serving caffeinated coffee instead of decaf to telling passengers all desserts were sugar free. No matter how they protested all were found guilty, covered in much, drenched in egg gold and made to kiss a fish. Then they all jumped into the pool. A fee brave passengers also volunteered and likewise were found guilty of their crimes and were similarly sentenced. Finally King Neptune was given the choice of three exotic brides. And for the finale the Captain was duly slimed and jumped into the pool. There was so much debris in the pool that it took the deck crew hours of drying and scrubbing to restore the pool to s clean and hygienic condition.

Today we are in the Maldives. It is pretty much oriented to those wanting to escape to one of the beaches and resorts one of the many islands. Male itself is a commercial city of stark contrasts - crumbling sidewalks with exposed blue pipes (sewage?) next to sparkling edifices housing the President. Thousands of minibikes cram every inch or the rods and most worm we encountered we wandering around in varying degrees of stifling Muslim garb. Most interesting of all to me was the unusual fish market and the adjacent fruit and vegetable market holding one of the broadest arrays of produce I have ever seen - and more whose names are unknown to me than known. The heat and humidity was stifling - hardly a wisp of a breeze- we only lasted a couple of hours before returning to the cool oasis of the Sojourn.

Sent from my iPad using Forums