Please tell me about the Pinnacle Grill and the MDR

MsSoCalCruiser

I split my dinners between the Canaletto and the Pinnacle whenever I cruise. I haven't been on a Tamarind ship yet but look forward to trying that when I am. I appreciate the quality and service. I like my steaks rare and find the dinning room steaks are just too low a quality to cook properly. I'm probably more of a foodie so really appreciate many of the dishes at the specialty restaurants. Even if the menu doesn't change, I've never had a problem finding something I truly enjoyed.

I loved the Le Cirque nights. My next cruise I get to try Sel De Mer. I'm very excited.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Just off the Zuiderdam and the PG was a disaster. We looked at finished plates for twenty minutes between courses. I have to assume they had severe staffing problems. In contrast, the MDR was loud and crowded with great service that prompted a large tip for our server. The food was comparable in both, at least to my uneducated palate. I suppose on a different cruise my reviews could be reversed. It was a great cruise with a couple of blips, like any other cruise.

Typical HAL - inconsistent. Last cruise on the Oosterdam the service was very slow (I do think they were short handed though), but normally it is fine. The food is the same way - we order the same things for the most part and sometimes they are great, other times disappointing.

The Tamarind is our favourite specialty restaurant on the Dam ships! The service and food is just amazing. I wish they served lunches there again!

The Silk Den is a great place to drop into before your Tamarind dinner for a before dinner drink.

Enjoy your cruise!

dh

The Tamarind is our favourite specialty restaurant on the Dam ships! The service and food is just amazing. I wish they served lunches there again!

The Silk Den is a great place to drop into before your Tamarind dinner for a before dinner drink.

Enjoy your cruise!

dh

This!

On our first HAL cruise, we received a promotion of dinner for 2 in PG and Caneletto. Of the 2, we preferred PG, and already have a reservation there for our upcoming cruise. We enjoy good steaks and everything was just perfect when we went to the PG on the Oosterdam. The MDR is very good, but the PG just seemed to have many terrific extra touches, in addition to delicious food.

I loved the suggestion to try all 3, I would do the one Gala night in the MDR and the restaurants on the other nights. I’m a big fan of PG, and the lunch is a bargain. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree, except if this is a 4 day/4 night cruise, it's a repositioning (ie Pacific Coastal). Assuming I am correct, there is no Gala night on this segment.

Agree, except if this is a 4 day/4 night cruise, it's a repositioning (ie Pacific Coastal). Assuming I am correct, there is no Gala night on this segment.

I am on a 4 day coastal in March and was surprised to see in the docs that there will be one gala night.

I am on a 4 day coastal in March and was surprised to see in the docs that there will be one gala night.

I am really surprised by that too. There were none on ours and I was told by the HD that they never have gala nights on those anymore. You might find there isn't one when you get on board.

Do let us know if there is one please as that is definitely a change!

I am really surprised by that too. There were none on ours and I was told by the HD that they never have gala nights on those anymore. You might find there isn't one when you get on board.

Do let us know if there is one please as that is definitely a change!

It COULD be because some Coastals are part of a longer cruise (such as through the Panama Canal) while others are just 3-5 days freestanding. For example, if you are on the last 4 days (SD to Vancouver) of an 18 day Canal cruise, the one Gala night might be due to the 18 day portion.

Kazu may remember this, because this happened on my first 4-day Coastal, which was the cruise where I met her. :D

Kazu and others were on a Panama Canal cruise originating in Ft. Lauderdale that offered the option of debarking in either San Diego or Vancouver. A lot of US folks debark in San Diego unless they live in the Pacific Northwest. The empty cabins are then occupied by those of us getting on in SD for the 4-day Coastal. Several of 4-day cruisers participated in the Panama Canal cruise's roll call, rather than start a separate one.

The documents we were sent didn't show a gala night (at that time it was still called formal), so someone casually mentioned that they liked the fact they weren't going to have to pack formal clothes. Apparently the longer cruise still showed a formal night on the segment from SD to Vancouver. One of the Panama Canal cruisers issued an edict and said that if the 4-day Coastal passengers weren't going to bring formal clothes with them, then we were to be either banished to the Lido or order room service. :evilsmile: You would have thought we were the hired help instead of paying passengers. Why not send us to the galley to eat dinner? ;p

Anyway, it turns out there wasn't a gala night, and we ate in the dining room, and all was well. I've done 5 Coastals, and none of them have had a gala night. I have a 6th one booked for next year, and it's a 6 day, not 4, so I'll be interested in seeing if they include a dressy night.

Roz

It COULD be because some Coastals are part of a longer cruise (such as through the Panama Canal) while others are just 3-5 days freestanding. For example, if you are on the last 4 days (SD to Vancouver) of an 18 day Canal cruise, the one Gala night might be due to the 18 day portion.

hmmm - interesting. The two cruises I have done where there was a Pacific Coastal did not have a gala night (SD - Vancouver).

Kazu may remember this, because this happened on my first 4-day Coastal, which was the cruise where I met her. :D

Kazu and others were on a Panama Canal cruise originating in Ft. Lauderdale that offered the option of debarking in either San Diego or Vancouver. A lot of US folks debark in San Diego unless they live in the Pacific Northwest. The empty cabins are then occupied by those of us getting on in SD for the 4-day Coastal. Several of 4-day cruisers participated in the Panama Canal cruise's roll call, rather than start a separate one.

The documents we were sent didn't show a gala night (at that time it was still called formned that they liked the fact they weren't going to have to pack formal clothes. Apparal), so someone casually mentioently the longer cruise still showed a formal night on the segment from SD to Vancouver. One of the Panama Canal cruisers issued an edict and said that if the 4-day Coastal passengers weren't going to bring formal clothes with them, then we were to be either banished to the Lido or order room service. :evilsmile: You would have thought we were the hired help instead of paying passengers. Why not send us to the galley to eat dinner? ;p

Anyway, it turns out there wasn't a gala night, and we ate in the dining room, and all was well. I've done 5 Coastals, and none of them have had a gala night. I have a 6th one booked for next year, and it's a 6 day, not 4, so I'll be interested in seeing if they include a dressy night.

Roz

Wow, Roz, I definitely don't recall any such comment or "edict". I have that roll call thread saved, will go back and check. This might take time as it was a lot of pages.

It's true the 4 day-ers had no formal night on their docs, whilst we did have one after San Diego. Eventually I think this became the first of `formal optional`nights, and it was very strange.

BTW, I don`t believe that was the cruise where you met Kazu - I recall introducing you on the 4 day portion of the Sailaway Cruise in 2015.

This cruise leaves from Seattle and it stops in Victoria and Vancouver with one sea day in the inside passage area. Sounds perfect :)

We try to go to each of the specialty restaurants once per cruise. Never had a bad experience though the Canaletto has been inconsistent. When it comes to Asian food i'm pretty pedestrian so I don't recognize much on the menu. I still love it and the service/ambiance in Tamarind is amazing. the warm towels to start let you know you're in for something special. The silk den bar, across from the tamarind, is the best kept secret on the boat. beautiful décor and fantastic view. the perfect place for before dinner.

I am 99% sure that we have decided to go to this restaurant and also PG. I'm looking forward to it. It sounds like Tamarind is a favorite of many.

PG can be great or it can be abysmal.

We usually have good PG's but I still remember one...after the first dinner, we cancelled the rest.

How bad was it? Let's put it this way, at breakfast my friend ordered tea and when the teapot came it was cold.

We were both perplexed and after a taste - it was PRUNE juice.

But, that is only one ship, one experience and overall, we have had great PG experiences. Some ships really excel and if youare on one of those it's pretty dam good. :D

I hope that was a one and done experience, LOL.

We try to go to each of the specialty restaurants once per cruise. Never had a bad experience though the Canaletto has been inconsistent. When it comes to Asian food i'm pretty pedestrian so I don't recognize much on the menu. I still love it and the service/ambiance in Tamarind is amazing. the warm towels to start let you know you're in for something special. The silk den bar, across from the tamarind, is the best kept secret on the boat. beautiful décor and fantastic view. the perfect place for before dinner.

Tamarind really does sound special.

Just off the Zuiderdam and the PG was a disaster. We looked at finished plates for twenty minutes between courses. I have to assume they had severe staffing problems. In contrast, the MDR was loud and crowded with great service that prompted a large tip for our server. The food was comparable in both, at least to my uneducated palate. I suppose on a different cruise my reviews could be reversed. It was a great cruise with a couple of blips, like any other cruise.

We've had this happen before too but luckily it's not the norm. Hopefully if we go to both it will be a wonderful experience at each.

Enjoy your cruise!

dh

Sold... Do you work for HAL, lol. :')

I'm looking forward to trying this specialty restaurant!

I hope that was a one and done experience, LOL.

It was indeed. Actually the PG manager was replaced at the end of our cruise and reports after that were very good again.

The rest of my PG's have been good - excellent.

We enjoyed Tamarind very much and went back. Very pleased both times.