Camera help

Cruiseteach

This has been a very helpful thread. Thanks to all of you for not making me feel stupid!

OK- Next dumb question: What is a reasonable amount of zoom? I see everything from 3X to 10 X (which is way beyond my budget and the camera is too big) You all know what I want to do with this camera- take pics on my Panama Canal cruise.

If you are used to just point and shoot snapshots (which is where I was coming from) a 3x optical zoom should be more than enough. I recently got my first digital camera with 3x optical (and 5 megapixel) and was awed by what came out of that camera. I used to take really awful pictures, gave up taking pictures of landscapes on vacation because my old point and shoot (Olympus Stylus) with me pushing the button just couldn't take decent pictures. My digital camera takes crisp, clear, colorful, beautiful pictures. So, I've learned that a lot of it may be the camera, not me.

One recommendation, try to find a camera with a viewfinder in addition to a display. In full sun you can't see what's on the display so you'd be shooting blind and hoping you got a good picture. You are going to be outdoors for the Panama Canal so chances are it will be really sunny.

Also buy additional memory card(s) to pop in when you fill the first card.

The Panama Canal is awesome. Enjoy.

Jackie

For general vacation use, I'd recommend a small point and shoot. Unless you're a big photog person (in which case, you wouldn't need our advice), you want something small so you'll be willing to take it along and easy to use so you get nice photos.

Here's a small summary:

Only optical zoom matters. Digital zoom means squat. You'll never use it. Shoot for at least 3X. Most desirable vacation ones only have up to 3X so anything above that is gravy.

Check battery life. There can be a huge difference. See http://www.dpreview.com for detailed specs and reviews. Unless you want to shell out for an extra battery (can be expensive), you want one that'll last you a whole day before you need to recharge.

4 or 5 megapixels are all you'll realistically need. Prolly more than you need. 4x6 prints don't require much. You can get away with about a 1 megapixel camera for that. For e-mails and internet photos, they require even less.

If you can afford it (about $400), my current favorite of what's out there as of 12/27/05, is teh Casio EX-Z750. The Canon SD550 intrigues me, but only Best Buy seems to have it in silver and the battery life sucks comparatively.

My wife and I decided to completely overkill the vacation camera purchase cuz we just bought a Nikon D200.

Cruiseteach

Wow you ask some good questions and there have been some really good answers. And well I'll add some more of my thoughts. Most Point and Shoot cameras have a 3x lens and will be good for most vacation types of shoots. There are many other cameras that look like small SLR's (but are not) will have lens that can go up to 12x. And depending on how you carry your camera and what you want to shoot will dictate the type of camera. First the point and Shoot camera's with a 3x go from a mild wide angle (28 -35 mm in 35 mm talk) to mild telephoto (approx 100 mm in 35 mm talk). And the 10x to 12x lens go to medium zoom lens again approx 350 mm in 35 mm.

Trying to make it simple. My wife has a point and shoot camera and she will shoot pictures from approx 5 to 30 foot range. (She has a 3x lens). And I have a small type SLR with a 10x lens and I reach out and touch my subjects! In other words I work the lens to frame the shot.

Again it is the camera that fits you and what you want to with it. Someone had the idea of going to a good camera store and check out the cameras. You pay a touch more but you will get a lot more and possible a quick class before you go on vacation. One thing you will learn is you will take many shots to get one good one. So with digital cameras you can go snap happy and you should get some really great shots

Good luck with the hunt!

To me, how wide a shot I can take is as important as how much zoom the camera has available, especially for cruises like the Panama Canal where, except for the passage through the locks, it is pretty much sailing in a big ditch through a jungle. Most inexpensive digital cameras have relatively poor wide shot capability; personally, I perfer one that have a basic lens equivalent to 28mm or better. Olympus makes a couplethat do a really nice job.

To me, how wide a shot I can take is as important as how much zoom the camera has available, especially for cruises like the Panama Canal where, except for the passage through the locks, it is pretty much sailing in a big ditch through a jungle. Most inexpensive digital cameras have relatively poor wide shot capability; personally, I perfer one that have a basic lens equivalent to 28mm or better. Olympus makes a couplethat do a really nice job.

That's where digital really scores. I was concerned about loss of wide angle capability and then I discovered "stitch", the ability to stitch together upto five photos. This beats all wide angle lens I've experienced and gives amazing results. This photo of the Colloseum, http://community.webshots.com/photo/204703768/206483986exrGzS was five photos taken portrait mode, ie camera turned 90 degs, and stitched together using Panorama 3 software that came with the camera. It would have been impossible to take with a single shot, regardless of how wide a lens. Using portrait mode I got the height and the multi shots gave me the width.

I wanted to add, but has already been mentioned, that you get a camera that also has a viewfinder in addition to the display. I use my viewfinder more than my display when I want to conserve my batteries.

My first digital camera (Canon Elph S200) had a specialty battery, which after a few years wouldn't hold a charge (I had a second, but even that wouldn't hold a charge). My current camera (Canon A95) uses 4 AA batteries. I use rechargeable and just carry an extra set with me. Surprisingly enough, they seem to last a good long time, and I can probably go all day on one set of batteries. But your mileage may vary! I thought the battery compartment would make the camera too bulky too carry in my pants/shorts, but I haven't had a problem.

Have fun shopping!

1. If you have a laptop, take it and download your camera each day. No need for extra memory cards that will sit in a drawer the rest of the year. By the way, your laptop can provide music and movies while in your stateroom.

2. Any camera is only as good as it's lens, don't skimp.

3. With a film camera, you can shoot as fast as you can wind the film. Some digitals have BOTH a lag time between when the button is pushed and the shutter clicks AND a recovery time between shots. Do you want a camera that can take pictures faster than one a second or like my old Fuji that requires 6 seconds to gear up for the next shot.

Casio EXILIM EX-Z750. It's small (credit card size), lightweight and takes great pics and movies. Here's Casio's link for more info: http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cameras.features&exp_id=B90395C1-4FA9-4BE4-9D3F-51AAF90E09F5

Also listed as one of the top cameras by PC World. Here's that link: http://www.nxtbook.com/fx/books/rms/pcworld-casio/

Search online and you should be able to pick up for around $300.00 plus the price of and SD CARD.

I also agree about batteries.

My current camera will take a Kodak Rechargable ($10-$12/piece), a CRV3 battery or double AA regular or rechargables. I like the flexibility of being able to use any of the above. I always take my Kodak rechargables with me but just in case I run out - I know I can buy AA or CRV3 at any drug store.

Please practice before you leave for your cruise. We were in Galapagos and there were many folks with new cameras that didn't know how to operate them. The naturalists were very kind and patient in helping; they must have this happen a lot.

I got a new camera before the holidays and every day over Christmas was a learning experience on what I really should have done. Now I just hope I can remember the different situations the next time I go to use the camera.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

I am going on the Coral in March and am in the market for a new camera- digital this time. I have been looking at all the posted photos and am so-o-o envious of all you great photogs. I am just starting to look at digital cameras. I am a total idiot when it comes to anything electronic. I can barely use a regular old point-and-shoot. Most of my photos include several shots of my feet or the ceiling. I could sure use some "expert" advice here!

With prices being what they are these days, I wouldn't consider anything under 5 megapixels. Depending on your budget you may want to go into the SLR world, in which case the Cannon Rebel is one of the most popular and easiest to use models. There is also the Minolta equivalent which is called the 5D, and Nikon has the D50. All these cameras can be had for around $700 with a lens.

If you want to go for point and shoot, there are plenty of good cameras out there. I am partial to the Sony brand myself, but there are plenty of others out there. Go to Best Buy, or a store like it, and "touch and feel".

Again, for digital, the name of the game is megapixels, so the more the merrier. On the point-and-shoot models, look for things like optical zoom, optical image stabilization, etc. Digital zoom is a waste in most cases, and so is digital stabilization.

Your budget will dictate what you will buy. Whatever you wind up getting, I hope you take awesome photos, and share them with us.

Archived