On Board Beverages - What's Included with just cruise or should I buy a package

MamaChach

Hello fellow cruisers,

First time in a 15 years that we have cruised...back in the day they didn't have packages:) I am looking to drink lots of water. I don't need premium water just regular bottled water is good. Also, I love specialty coffees like Lattes, Espressos, etc. I will most likely get a fruity drink during the hot days by the pool and have a drink (martini or similar) and a glass of wine at night.

Does that sound like it would add up to $55/day? I am trying to decide if I should just pay as I go or get a package. I don't know how much coffees cost or if water is free or not. I imagine my alcoholic drinks will be between $6-11.

I appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

Included in cruise fare: Tap water, Brewed coffee (regular and decaf), instant coffee (taster's choice regular and decaf), Tea (good selection of about 8 or more popular tea blends including green, mint, etc), hot coca (Nestles instant mix), Milk (regular, chocolate and skim), juices, iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch.

All of these items are available in any dining area. They are available 24/7 from beverage stations in the buffet area although some items are not available at all times in the buffet: Some milks are only available during meals in the buffet and the dispensers used for juices during breakfast times are used for iced tea, lemonade and punch at other times.

For the most part there is an extra charge for any alcoholic, carbonated, or bottled beverage. Also most bars and lounges charge for any beverages served there. There are upscale versions of many no-extra-charge beverages available which do cost extra such as espresso based coffees, organic teas, bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ, etc.

Personally, I'd recommend holding off on a package until you determine if you need one.

I plan to mostly not drink alcohol. But I do drink a TON of spring water and mineral water. And I like good coffee. So I'm planning to book the premium non alcohol plan to include water, coffees, smoothies and the nicer teas. At $22 a day I think it's a good deal since I am unlikely to drink more than one drink a day, but easily drink my weight in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello fellow cruisers,

Does that sound like it would add up to $55/day? I am trying to decide if I should just pay as I go or get a package. I don't know how much coffees cost or if water is free or not. I imagine my alcoholic drinks will be between $6-11.

I appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

To give you a rough idea of prices ( these are not exact as most have a range)

Espresso/Lattes $5

Fruity drink w/decent brand alcohol $8

Martini (reg size) decent brand alcohol $9

Martini @Martini Bar -large w/ premium alcohol $12

Glass of decent red wine $ 9

Glass of better red wine $12

Haven’t purchased a bottle of water recently would guess $2.50

All these price estimates are before the additional 18% gratututy is added. FYI the $55 per day beverage package is the price before the 18% gratututy, so actual price is $64.90.

Hello fellow cruisers,

First time in a 15 years that we have cruised...back in the day they didn't have packages:) I am looking to drink lots of water. I don't need premium water just regular bottled water is good. Also, I love specialty coffees like Lattes, Espressos, etc. I will most likely get a fruity drink during the hot days by the pool and have a drink (martini or similar) and a glass of wine at night.

I appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

Non-alcoholic specialty coffees are $5 each and I believe the smaller bottles of water are $3 each. If your fruity drink is a frozen strawberry daiquiri if will be at least $8, a martini at the martini bar is in excess of $9 and a basic glass of wine will be $9 or more.

Since the $55/day Classic Package only covers the first $9 of a more expensive drink, in calculating the savings you would use only $9 for a martini or wine.

So 2 specialty coffees is $10, 3 bottles of water $9, fruity drink $8, martini $9 & wine $9 = $45. But I can tell you that if you purchase the package you will probably have at least 2 glasses of wine with dinner instead of only one and probably a cappuccino with desert - which takes you to $59!

Since you are on vacation, if it fits your budget, I would recommend buying the package; but you can always wait until the second or third day of the cruise to see how much you are actually spending.

Happy cruising.

I understand people wanting to drink a lot of water. But what is wrong with the free water on board? Why must it be bottled water?

I tried drinking tap water on the Dream and could barely stand the smell let alone the taste. Yuck

The old saying goes if you build it they will come! If you get the package you might find yourself having the additional glass of wine with dinner and or martini after at the martini bar. It’s vacation don’t limit yourself if it won’t hurt your bank. Why worry every time you have to swipe your pass card and sign the bill. Not to mention the wait and time it takes for that. I highly recommend it. As the person above broke down the costs, you can easily spend $55 a day on water and coffee alone! Drinks add up too and then you can live a little and have a few more cocktails!

I understand people wanting to drink a lot of water. But what is wrong with the free water on board? Why must it be bottled water?

I don't drink tap water in my day to day life. I don't plan to start on vacation. The taste is not good and even filtered water is full of more contaminants than I'd care to drink unfortunately. For me, bottled spring water is a necessity for which I'm happy to pay.

Tap water at home can vary from place to place, ours is extremely hard, we use a water softener and a reverse osmosis for drinking. The water on the ship is produced by reverse osmosis as well, making it pure and no odor. Please try it before you assume it’s like home or elsewhere.

Having said that, some people report swelling if they drink it, implying a large sodium intake, that has not been our experience, but some folks feel it.

Now, even if it’s GREAT tap water, it’s hard to beat the convenience of picking up a bottle wherever you are, and/or carrying it with you, especially on excursions.

Tap water at home can vary from place to place, ours is extremely hard, we use a water softener and a reverse osmosis for drinking. The water on the ship is produced by reverse osmosis as well, making it pure and no odor. Please try it before you assume it’s like home or elsewhere.

Having said that, some people report swelling if they drink it, implying a large sodium intake, that has not been our experience, but some folks feel it.

Now, even if it’s GREAT tap water, it’s hard to beat the convenience of picking up a bottle wherever you are, and/or carrying it with you, especially on excursions.

Very good to know they use reverse osmosis filtration on board! I don't mind that no taste taste. We are in NY where the tap water is supposedly quite "clean." But it tastes awful. Especially after living in Amsterdam for two years where the water really was quite good.