Curacao Highlights and Beach Fun

BopRN

Has anyone been on this exact excursion? We are trying to decide between this and another one. We will be cruising on March 16. My husband is recently suffering from ruptured discs and will be facing surgery in the near future.

But we are determined to still go on our cruise since his pain is somewhat controlled at this point. We will be bringing a travel wheelchair for him and looking at appropriate excursions. This particular tour says that the distillery & Mambo beach are both wheelchair accessible. I am wondering what other parts of the tour may not be accessible. Are there many stops of getting on and off the bus? Thanks!

Hi, We did the one that goes to Mambo Beach in December. It was ok; but it would not have been my choice. We cruised with friends, and one of them wanted to do that tour. I was trying to not be a control freak; so I went along. Even she said she was a disappointed after the tour. We are going back there in September, and I am just now trying to figure out what we will do. I'm not sure if this helps or not.

Has anyone been on this exact excursion? We are trying to decide between this and another one. We will be cruising on March 16. My husband is recently suffering from ruptured discs and will be facing surgery in the near future.

But we are determined to still go on our cruise since his pain is somewhat controlled at this point. We will be bringing a travel wheelchair for him and looking at appropriate excursions. This particular tour says that the distillery & Mambo beach are both wheelchair accessible. I am wondering what other parts of the tour may not be accessible. Are there many stops of getting on and off the bus? Thanks!

I believe the distillery and beach were the only places we got off the bus. I forgot to add that to my last reply.

Hi, We did the one that goes to Mambo Beach in December. It was ok; but it would not have been my choice. We cruised with friends, and one of them wanted to do that tour. I was trying to not be a control freak; so I went along. Even she said she was a disappointed after the tour. We are going back there in September, and I am just now trying to figure out what we will do. I'm not sure if this helps or not.

Were you disappointed in Mambo beach or the tour in general? Mambo beach is currently my Plan B for Curacao.

Was there last week. IIRC, stop at distillery was 15 minutes, I don’t drink and our 4 year old didn’t want to get off the bus. Mambo beach was fairly crowded. We could rent a lounge chair for $3. The lady who narrated our bus tour was entertaining; my wife liked her.

Those were the only 2 places I recall getting out. I don’t know about feasibility with a wheelchair.

Richard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was there last week. IIRC, stop at distillery was 15 minutes, I don’t drink and our 4 year old didn’t want to get off the bus. Mambo beach was fairly crowded. We could rent a lounge chair for $3. The lady who narrated our bus tour was entertaining; my wife liked her.

Those were the only 2 places I recall getting out. I don’t know about feasibility with a wheelchair.

Richard.

I agree with Richard, The beach was fairly crowded. I did get in the water, and it was pretty nice. There are a few picnic tables; if you do not want to rent a chair. The tour wasn't bad; but I guess we would have preferred a little longer tour, and not as much beach time.

We were in Curacao at Christmas and to be honest I was thoroughly disappointed with the island. We did a private taxi tour we met at the port. Went to the distillery which is one long room that is a self guided tour, which then leads to a bar area and then into the shop area. Its very small but probably worth a stop. They sell various sizes of Blue Curacao plus other colours of the liquer.

I just thought that island was pretty dirty and uncared for. After the tour the taxi dropped us off at the floating bridge and there was garbage everywhere, in the water, in the gutters etc. Those pretty colourful houses you see in the tourist flyers are there but they forget to mention the huge oil distillery the other side of the bridge. We went to the caves (not wheel chair friendly at all) and had a tour of the island. Not a place I would consider going back to. Though on the same cruise we also stopped at Bonaire which is very under developed but was much more appealing than Curacao.

Richard.

Isn't there a little shopping plaza right behind the beach with shops and restauants? Was that nice?

When I was there I didn't even bother doing a tour. The bridge was under construction, so we took the ferry over to the other side, and grabbed a cab to Mambo. We rented chairs and spent the day at the beach. It was a great day at a very cheap cost.

We did that tour in January. I remember steps to get down to the beach area. I don’t recall seeing an elevator but there could be one. The only stops were at the distillery and Mambo Beach.

We did that tour in January. I remember steps to get down to the beach area. I don’t recall seeing an elevator but there could be one. The only stops were at the distillery and Mambo Beach.

I think I do remember the elevator as it was right by the men's room.

There was a shopping plaza, a couple of levels. I didn’t spend a lot of time there. I got some souvenirs in town when I crossed the bridge hunting Diamonds International for the free charm for our daughter’s charm bracelet.

Yes, there steps getting down to Mambo Beach.