Jump to content
ShakeDaddy

No Next Day Stayover on my TA 15Nt. out of Orlando

Recommended Posts

One of the biggest waste of $$$ and hassles is staying overnight before your cruise out of Florida.

 

Anybody think I should be worried? Flying SWA out of Arizona 4/7 direct to Orlando landing @12:20pm, Epic departs @5pm Same Day.

 

Not too worried or should I be??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What day of the week? And how are you getting to port?

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably need to be aboard 90 minutes before departure and then with transit time, I don’t think there’s much wiggle room. I would fly in the day before.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be worried. You need to be checked in at the pier by 3:00 pm. 45 minute drive to port on a good day. If all the planets are aligned, you don’t check bags, you have transportation lined up ahead of time, you might be ok.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you can talk the airline in to flying over Port Canaveral and let you parachute out on to the ship that's a really bad travel plan.

 

So, yes. You should be worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At minimum 30 minutes to get luggage. Then time to get to your transportation, which at that time I don't think there's any shuttles. There shouldn't be much traffic unless there's an accident, but if there is it'll cause lots of problems. I'd say best case scenario you'd get there at 2, but that would be everything going perfect. Realistic would be 230-3. Which would be right up against last call.

 

Fwiw I live near the airport, so I have to deal with parking, but it's usually 90 minutes door to check-in.

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why risk it. I was flying into Miami once and rained. Sent us to Fort Meyers to wait on the ground. Than into Miami.

 

Why risk your whole vacation? Pick a cheap hotel and relax.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having lived in Orlando for many years and used the airport often, I wouldn't trust leaving that little time. By the time you get your luggage and get transport assuming on time arrival, you will be lucky to get on the road by 1:30. Saturday driving on the 408 from the airport out to the port can be a crapshoot. One accident can be a royal pain if in the area where there is no alternative exit for miles. Plus, you never know what the launch schedule might be. As of right now, there is a SpaceX launch scheduled for no sooner than 4/2. These dates easily shift a week or two. If it ends up on the afternoon you are going, you could have bad traffic. Probably a 70% chance of making it OK. However, since it is a TA, you are likely screwed if that 30% happens. This doesn't even take into account weather delays. Early April is near the tail end of frontal storms passing through the area. While not likely, they won't unload luggage at the Orlando airport during a thunderstorm. I have had to wait an extra 45min to an hour for luggage from this on two occasions. Not sure it's worth the gamble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Having lived in Orlando for many years and used the airport often, I wouldn't trust leaving that little time. By the time you get your luggage and get transport assuming on time arrival, you will be lucky to get on the road by 1:30. Saturday driving on the 408 from the airport out to the port can be a crapshoot. One accident can be a royal pain if in the area where there is no alternative exit for miles. Plus, you never know what the launch schedule might be. As of right now, there is a SpaceX launch scheduled for no sooner than 4/2. These dates easily shift a week or two. If it ends up on the afternoon you are going, you could have bad traffic. Probably a 70% chance of making it OK. However, since it is a TA, you are likely screwed if that 30% happens. This doesn't even take into account weather delays. Early April is near the tail end of frontal storms passing through the area. While not likely, they won't unload luggage at the Orlando airport during a thunderstorm. I have had to wait an extra 45min to an hour for luggage from this on two occasions. Not sure it's worth the gamble.
I hope you mean 528 because the 408 ends 45+ minutes from the port and doesn't connect to the airport! Assuming you meant 528 - yes it's pure hell if there's an accident and God save you if you have a time limit on launch day! Though going to the port is a bit better - I only know because I was racing to a place on Merritt island for a launch but the vast majority were going to Titusville.

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ship departs at 5pm with last call at 4pm. https://www.ncl.com/faq%2523boarding-times

 

Pretty sure we can get 25 miles to Port Carnival from the airport in 4 hours.

Dude, try 45+ miles and there's really only two ways to get there and little to no options to bail out and choose the other in the case of an accident.

 

At least have all the facts before you decide it's all going to be ok.

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ship departs at 5pm with last call at 4pm. https://www.ncl.com/faq%2523boarding-times

 

Pretty sure we can get 25 miles to Port Carnival from the airport in 4 hours.

 

 

 

Unless you are using a different airport, MCO to Port Canaveral is 45 miles. It is also Saturday in the tail end of spring break, MCO will be insane. You seem to have it all figured out though so good luck to you.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I hope you mean 528 because the 408 ends 45+ minutes from the port and doesn't connect to the airport! Assuming you meant 528 - yes it's pure hell if there's an accident and God save you if you have a time limit on launch day! Though going to the port is a bit better - I only know because I was racing to a place on Merritt island for a launch but the vast majority were going to Titusville.

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, 528. I sucked with remembering the numbers. It was always Beeline(not Beachline) for me and East/West for 408. Never used the road number unless giving directions to an out of towner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ship departs at 5pm with last call at 4pm. https://www.ncl.com/faq%2523boarding-times

 

Pretty sure we can get 25 miles to Port Carnival from the airport in 4 hours.

 

 

Then why bother asking? Everyone has told you it's a bad plan but hey...knock yourself out.

 

If you don't have travel insurance for this trip, now would be a good time to consider it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, 528. I sucked with remembering the numbers. It was always Beeline(not Beachline) for me and East/West for 408. Never used the road number unless giving directions to an out of towner.
I feel you! Just didn't want some poor soul wondering why when they got off 408 they were in Bithlo and not the port! Completely different type of vacation!

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One of the biggest waste of $$$ and hassles is staying overnight before your cruise out of Florida.

 

Anybody think I should be worried? Flying SWA out of Arizona 4/7 direct to Orlando landing @12:20pm, Epic departs @5pm Same Day.

 

Not too worried or should I be??

 

 

 

I've never watched my ship sail away...let me know how that feels. A "big waste of $$$" would be to miss the ship.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people on cruise Critic boards are planners, not gamblers when it comes to travel. Not many people are going to advocate your plan because of the fact that travel is not always smooth. It’s more like 45 miles to port from OIA and if your flight is on time, you get your luggage and rental car quickly, and have smooth traffic, it’s doable. Anything off and there’s a chance for disaster-a chance many would not be willing to take. But it’s your vacation, if this is how you want to do it then it’s up to you.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Most people on cruise Critic boards are planners, not gamblers when it comes to travel. Not many people are going to advocate your plan because of the fact that travel is not always smooth. It’s more like 45 miles to port from OIA and if your flight is on time, you get your luggage and rental car quickly, and have smooth traffic, it’s doable. Anything off and there’s a chance for disaster-a chance many would not be willing to take. But it’s your vacation, if this is how you want to do it then it’s up to you.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

Rental car probably isn't an option. It will have to be a hired car. Probably not possible to even turn in a rental car near the port and make it on time if a car company would even do that rental. Rental car counters in Florida are a circus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Easy to be on the Epic by 2:30 and sail away isn't until 5pm.

 

Then why even ask if you have already decided? You aren't going to get much, if any affirmation here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Then why even ask if you have already decided? You aren't going to get much, if any affirmation here.

 

Yes no need to over plan.

Edited by ShakeDaddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief. The OP is unrealistically optimistic. Doesn't seem to have much clue at all the dynamics. Maybe they don't travel much? I travel and fly every month. (16 cruises last year) and I have run into numerous snags, delayed flights- hours, misdirected luggage- last week, etc. No mention of how they are getting to the port??? I'm actually looking to get on this ship, planning on being on the Magic prior.

 

If they miss the cruise, they'll be able to get on in Bermuda. So at least one additional option. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would never do this. Always fly in the day before. Or 2 days. Cruises are too important to miss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Land at 12:20pm on Saturday, it's only a 50 minute ride to the port 30 miles.

 

At the port by 2:45pm.

 

Last boarding on the ship by 4:00pm.

 

Good golly, no need to stay over in pathetic Florida. :hearteyes:

Edited by ShakeDaddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, Google is your friend. The port is more than 30 miles away.

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, on your 15 day cruise is it a transatlantic? Where is your first port?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to keep your flight, get trip insurance and prebook transportation. If at all possible, make sure all your luggage can be carried on (I did this for a two week vacation in Europe before I had kids. Now each kid gets a bag the size of my carry on for Europe just for the plane).

 

My SIL once found a great deal on a flight from the east coast to SF. It was the last flight of the day, and required her to switch planes in Las Vegas. She got grounded by fog for two hours before taking off, and missed her connection, which was the last one of the day. It was a weather related delay so the airlines didn't technically owe her anything, but they saw her there alone with two toddlers and kindly issued meal vouchers and a hotel voucher. But she didn't have any clothes or toiletries for herself and her oldest child (and her oldest kid spilled juice all over herself and the mom so they were both soaked). If you can't carry everything on, make sure you have enough packed in your carry on to hold you until Bermuda, which should be a fairly easy flight from Florida. But without trip insurance you'll need to pay for a hotel room in Florida or Bermuda until you can meet the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your counting on everything to go 100% right that day and risk missing the ship because you don’t want to pay for a hotel for one night near the port? You don’t know where your plane your counting on is coming from to be in position at the exact time you need it. There’s still a chance of winter weather issues in parts of the country and what happens if that plane is stuck on the ground in some city. I personally wouldn’t risk it during winter weather months

 

Two years ago, I was back east before a huge blizzard and I only got out of Newark because my plane had spent the night before in Miami, flew up to Newark that morning and was in the position to fly me cross country home. It hadn’t even snowed yet, but half the planes couldn’t get to Newark because the storm was coming from the west and many flights were canceled already.

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We once spent 3.5 hours trying to get to the port the day there was a shooting on the highway...by the time we got to the port, the porters were gone and we and the other people on our shuttle were the last ones through. It is not a good feeling at all!

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP is from Arizona, I’m guessing not a lot of weather there? Living under 25 miles from 3 major NE airports, delays and cancellations are common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that is a big gamble. So many variables. flight delay, traffic etc. We always go the day before. Wake up all rested from all day traveling and ready to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The OP is from Arizona, I’m guessing not a lot of weather there? Living under 25 miles from 3 major NE airports, delays and cancellations are common.

 

 

 

I’m just saying planes fly in from all parts of the country and then airline is sending the plane his flight will use, let’s say from Boston to Phoenix and its snows, that plane is stuck in Boston or delayed for a long period of time and then the plane will either be late going to Florida or cancelled because that plane it needs for the flight is stuck on the ground. Airlines seldom have spare planes just sitting on the ground during the day.

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Easy to be on the Epic by 2:30 and sail away isn't until 5pm.

 

You've already made up your mind that there will be no flight delay and no traffic delay. So there's no sense in asking us for our opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m just saying planes fly in from all parts of the country and then airline is sending the plane his flight will use, let’s say from Boston to Phoenix and its snows, that plane is stuck in Boston or delayed for a long period of time and then the plane will either be late going to Florida or cancelled because that plane it needs for the flight is stuck on the ground. Airlines seldom have spare planes just sitting on the ground during the day.

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you, just because there are no reasons for delays at the departing or arrival airport, there can still be delays. DH flies from NJ to NC about once a month, he’s delayed about a quarter of the trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Explore the Night. Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win win a free cruise for two with Azamara Club Cruises!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Community Contests
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×