Special Diet Questions

I hope you don't have way too high an expectation of your PS I fret from some you have written, you think it will be like you are on a private yacht it will Not be Is this the first timey ou have sailed in a high level suite? I was in PS on HAL and on NCL both were very good and I had no complaints but I kept my expectations at a reasonable level I Indeed , I do like beautiful accomodations and very good service but am sensible in my requests and reasonable as to what I expect

I appreciate that you are concerned... certainly, setting myself up for a disappointing experience would far from serve any benefit, health-related or otherwise. And I know you don't know me well enough to know if I am the kind of person who does that. Honestly, I think your feedback is relevant. In the course of living with a serious health condition, I've learned how important it is to maintain a sense of calm and inner quiet... and frustration over unmet expectations is far from that. I get it ;p

Have I traveled in high end suites before... yep. The experience varies depending upon the ship and her staff is my sense of it. Some are more accommodating and some less. What I've discovered is that it never hurts to ask as long as I do not take a refusal personally. Am I one of those people who expect more than average? Yeah, I believe I am :cool: Just part of the same personality that consulted for large corporations and directed a social service agency or two. Again, I figure the fastest way to a solution is to gather information by asking. You can tell me you think my sense of "entitlement" is a character flaw, and I'll accept that's your opinion... but it's not likely I'll change so I'm inclined to just love my self like I come. It's way less stressful :D

Either way, I promise that I am responsible for my feelings however they show up.

I appreciate that you are concerned... certainly, setting myself up for a disappointing experience would far from serve any benefit, health-related or otherwise. And I know you don't know me well enough to know if I am the kind of person who does that. Honestly, I think your feedback is relevant. In the course of living with a serious health condition, I've learned how important it is to maintain a sense of calm and inner quiet... and frustration over unmet expectations is far from that. I get it ;p

Have I traveled in high end suites before... yep. The experience varies depending upon the ship and her staff is my sense of it. Some are more accommodating and some less. What I've discovered is that it never hurts to ask as long as I do not take a refusal personally. Am I one of those people who expect more than average? Yeah, I believe I am :cool: Just part of the same personality that consulted for large corporations and directed a social service agency or two. Again, I figure the fastest way to a solution is to gather information by asking. You can tell me you think my sense of "entitlement" is a character flaw, and I'll accept that's your opinion... but it's not likely I'll change so I'm inclined to just love my self like I come. It's way less stressful :D

Either way, I promise that I am responsible for my feelings however they show up.

You sound like a very lovely person, I'd be dlighted to meet and get t o know. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

You sound like a very lovely person, I'd be dlighted to meet and get t o know. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I promised a pictoral review in one of my posts "somewhere" :P... so I have a feeling we will, and I look forward to knowing you better as well :D

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the email I got today regarding the ordering of special request items:

Good Afternoon Ahnalira,

I wanted to give you an updateto your dietary requests you made. The ship can make the Pinnacle GrillChocolate Soufflé gluten free with no sugar added as well as the getting theChocolate Dream sugar free and gluten free. The ship is in the process ofobtaining pricing for the following:

• Profiteroles – Gluten and Sugar Free
      • Pasture Raised Cream
      • Birch Benders Paleo Pancake/Waffle/Baking Blend
      • Natures Hollow Sugar Free Maple Flavored Syrup

As soon as we get the pricingfor the above we will let you know.

If you have any additionalquestions, please feel free to contact me for assistance.

With Warm Regards,

Nicole Perry

More and more people have special diets and allergies now. It must be an absolute nightmare for the culinary team. I can only imagine what they say behind the scenes.

Sandra

It's true. Food sensitivities and autoimmune conditions are increasing at startling rates, and more and more of us are required to ask for special diet accommodations. No doubt ;p I take it from your comment that you are, fortunately, not one of us who are impacted. Be grateful, for sure, that you aren't impacted... and, if you can, imagine what it's like for us to have to be so careful to prevent health issues--compassion is a good thing, imho :halo:

That said, as a somewhat accomplished cook, I believe the culinary team will discover that they can make everything fried gluten free as easily changing the coating. Not a hard fix, really. All soups and sauces can be made gluten free by changing the thickener. No sugar added is the same way ;p Baked goods are a little harder, but I have figured it out... so I'm betting the professionals can, too.

Dairy free, egg free, nut free.... whatever puts a person into a health-risk situation merits accommodation by the cruiseline if they want to continue to profit. Coming back to my initial paragraph--according to this article https://www.foodallergy.org/sites/default/files/migrated-files/file/facts-stats.pdf an estimated 9 million (just in the US) have health-risk related food allergies. It seems to me the cruise industry can't maintain itself without accommodating this statistic. I am happy to support them to learn how to do it, and I appreciate the compassion you feel for the culinary team... but, actually, it seems like their job to me.

Serving the needs of approximately 0.02 percent of the combined North American combined population of 363 million, which is HAL's primary target audience, may not be cost effective, nor a required profit center for the overall bottom line. New equipment, dedicated personnel, separate food prep areas and individualized and specialized passenger response both pre and during the cruise may add up. As well as the reported threats of "escalation" post cruise when expectations are not met.

To think this level of highly individualized attention should now be the norm may be a bridge too far for only 0.02% of the population. In your case, you are paying for a Pinnacle Suite and if you want to eat chocolate bars all day long, I think you should get what you want. But this level of personal attention comes with the included extra costs.

Because of a tedious health history, I have to stick to a very careful and limited diet. Cruising is wonderful and perfectly suited to a special diet because there are so many foods to choose from. I've never had to ask for special help of any kind -- just make judicious choices on my own. So many wonderful fruits, vegetables, fish to choose from. I can't imagine not being able to find something to eat and enjoy on a cruise -- no matter what a person's dietary needs.

I prefaced my questions with Fran by actually acknowledging to her my awareness of the above and that I was just asking to confirm my assumption that it wouldn't be possible.... and she surprised me by giving a specific person to contact that would ask the ship if they could...or would. Possibly because we are in the Pinnacle Suite, but she didn't make reference to that when she gave me the way forward. I will keep you posted :)

In life generally... well, my mama taught me how to cook anything and everything from scratch so I can look at a menu and know what needs to be removed for it to work. Some restaurants I just stay away from--like all fast foods. I've had type 1 diabetes for 36 years so I can count carbs by eyesight. Since 2014, other health concerns have required gluten free and ketogenic...and I haven't traveled much. Disney always takes really good care of us, and we also like to go to Sedona where it's very easy to find restaurants that accommodate as well.

I'm just glad to be alive and able to travel still. This trip on the MS Amsterdam in the Pinnacle Suite is a "carrot" for the protocols I've had to live through recently. I am grateful for whatever they support they can provide <3

IMHO, and with the extent of your dietary restrictions, I would avoid cruising in general, and stick to other land based vacations that MIGHT be able able to accommodate your very detailed requirements.

Serving the needs of approximately 0.02 percent of the combined North American combined population of 363 million, which is HAL's primary target audience, may not be cost effective, nor a required profit center for the overall bottom line. New equipment, dedicated personnel, separate food prep areas and individualized and specialized passenger response both pre and during the cruise may add up. As well as the reported threats of "escalation" post cruise when expectations are not met.

To think this level of highly individualized attention should now be the norm may be a bridge too far for only 0.02% of the population. In your case, you are paying for a Pinnacle Suite and if you want to eat chocolate bars all day long, I think you should get what you want. But this level of personal attention comes with the included extra costs.

This!

On my recent cruise the DRM asked if I would be eating in the MDR for all meals. (I have to restrict sodium, carbs and have certain allergies). When I indicated I planned to do the lido for breakfast and lunch he offered to have someone meet me to review foods. Luckily my allergies are to things that are not typically hidden as ingredients in foods (avocado, melons, raw nuts and such) and I can navigate a carb restriction diet pretty well, so it wasn’t needed. You might ask for the option if you plan to eat in the lido. Or maybe the MDR would better suit your needs.

On a recent cruise our tablemates had restricted diets and basically found out that lunch in the Lido did not work for them (cross contamination, etc.). The MDR was fine however.

• 3 months later...
In my experience as a person who eats virtually zero carbs, HAL is very reliable about leaving things OUT of your meals. I wouldn't count on them to include ingredients not normally carried in the galley.

I don't eat carbs either. Do you usually ask for meat to be prepared 'naked'? On a zero carb group, some people suggested ordering meats that way so they don't come draped in sauces, sugared spices etc.

I suffer from several food allergies, and HAL has always been very helpful in making sure that I am well taken care of. The Pinnacle Suite is very nice, and I have stayed in them often. There is a large fridge, but as far as a freezer area, there is none. If you need something extra cold, the Cabin Steward has brought in a ice bucket filled with ice that we place in the fridge, and he replaces it for the overnight period. HAL is already very well equipped with gluten free items, and I must say some are very good. Basically the Pinnacle Suite is real estate. Enjoy your cruise.

Sage, I am so asppy you brought this thread forward and I hope Queen of Adventure still comes here and tells us a bout her experience on Amsterdam.. I hope they were able to accomodate her requests,

Sail it is so hard to tell people that just because they are paying double or more, that every request will not be granted. They do the best they can to help you, but you are not the only person on the ship with special request or needs. It's hard for people to understand that they are paying for the extra space and that all suites are granted the same perks you are.

Yes, Sage, as someone, who like you, has always been in a NEptue or "S" Suite (as we used to call them) or in PS, I get it b ut not teveryone does. No matter our fare is so high, it is not our privtae yacht. ;0. The irony for me is, I actaully prefer the NEPTUNES to the PS. I really like 'our Neptune Ca bins' better

Edited by sail7seas