Cabin Recommendation for young family

Typically my husband and I will get interior rooms but this Sept we are considering accompanying family members on a cruise with our two little's who will be 2 and 1 at that time. We are concerned about space- more specifically how to accommodate them and us comfortably in a room. We cruise for vacation so we are not in the room outside of sleeping and prepping for the day, and plan to send the kiddos to day programs on the boat. We know that our vacation normalcy will shift a bit with them in tow, but I just want to make sure we are knowledgeable for what could potentially be our reality if we cruise with them.

They share a room so they are used to sleeping through the night with a white noise machine and in a room separate from us. We've only sailed with Carnival and NCL, so this would be our first Royal experience. Are interiors to small? Should we look into a balcony? Please help!!!

I would not do an interior w 2 little ones. It will be very tight. I would do a balcony or Junior Suite if budget allows. This gives you a couch and room for a pack n play or crib. Also, check out the kids sale free sale.

You might want to consider connecting interiors - not sure how two pack n plays will fit in a regular cabin. I’d suggest getting a JS if possible so you can sit on th balcony while the kids are sleeping.

Make sure you pick a ship with a nursery. “Day programs” start at age 3. You are permitted to book 10 hours of nursery time initially. If they are not full, you can book additional time later in the cruise. The charge is $6 per hour before 6 and I think 9 per hour after that.

Another alternative you may want to consider are some forward oceanview on voyager/freedom/oasis/quantum classes are also a bit more spacious. Voyager class also has the panoramic oceanview on deck 12. Quite nice.

The Kids Sail Free promo is probably available for that sailing this Sept. You will not be able to do the KSF promo if you book connecting staterooms because you have to put one adult per room with one child. KSF is only available IF they are the 3rd, 4th, 5th guests in a room. For this reason, depending on the ship you’re on, ask if they have the “Ultra Spacious Interior”, “Ultra Spacious Oceanview”, or the “Ultra Spacious Oceanview with Balcony” available (depending on your price range). These are about the same size as Jr Suite. BUT, Jr Suites and above have a tub...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically my husband and I will get interior rooms but this Sept we are considering accompanying family members on a cruise with our two little's who will be 2 and 1 at that time. We are concerned about space- more specifically how to accommodate them and us comfortably in a room. We cruise for vacation so we are not in the room outside of sleeping and prepping for the day, and plan to send the kiddos to day programs on the boat. We know that our vacation normalcy will shift a bit with them in tow, but I just want to make sure we are knowledgeable for what could potentially be our reality if we cruise with them.

They share a room so they are used to sleeping through the night with a white noise machine and in a room separate from us. We've only sailed with Carnival and NCL, so this would be our first Royal experience. Are interiors to small? Should we look into a balcony? Please help!!!

Much will depend on the ship. You will need a cabin that sleeps four. It will be very tight. Kids are too young for Pullman berths so you will need a sofa bed and probably a pack and play. Very tight and not sure how an inside cabin will work. Your best bet would be a balcony or junior suite.

Also, you mentioned sending them to the programs on the boat. On RC Adventure Ocean, which is the kids program, is for children aged 3 and up. Kids have to be toilet trained and you cannot "fudge" the age. Some ships do have a nursery, for a fee, for kids under 3.

Some ships have an area for very young children as a separate pool - otherwise no swimmies in regular pools.

In other words, choose your ship and its amenities carefully so as to not be disappointed.

As someone who has a 2 year old, I suggested the Ultra Spacious rooms in the three types (interior, ocean view, balcony) because they are roomy enough to have many options: (a) set up two pack and plays or (b) one pack and play plus the 2 year old on sofa bed, or © pack and play for 1 yr old and 2 year old on bottom bunk of Pullman bunk beds. Look on YouTube for videos of that room. I think it’s the most “flexible” of any of the rooms besides forking $$ over for a 2 bedroom Grand Suite. However, look at prices of the 2 bedroom Grand Suite. I booked that for a 2020 sailing on Freedom for the same price as a 2019 sailing in the Ultra Spacious Oceanview with Balcony on the new ship Symphony. If you’re going on an older ship the suites may be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even a balcony will be tight with 4 in it....there is no separation. Get them used to some noise....because there is always noise on a ship! The deck plans show the sq. footage of each type of cabin...but remember that the bathroom space is INCLUDED in that sq. footage!

If by chance you decide you do want two (connecting) cabins, you might also wish to price adding another adult to the kids cabin (if you think a granny or nanny or such might love a free cruise in exchange for some child care). Then you would not have to worry whether ship has a nursery or not. With kids sail free, there maybe little or no cost difference.

Thanks everyone for your very informative responses. Unfortunately, we are going to wait until our kids are 3+ as it would be very costly to send them to the Nursery on top of paying more for a larger room. Hopefully Royal Caribbean will adopt a program similar to Carnival's to help families that would love to vacation with little's but not have to pay extra for "daycare services" in exchange of having some child free time.

Thanks everyone for your very informative responses. Unfortunately, we are going to wait until our kids are 3+ as it would be very costly to send them to the Nursery on top of paying more for a larger room. Hopefully Royal Caribbean will adopt a program similar to Carnival's to help families that would love to vacation with little's but not have to pay extra for "daycare services" in exchange of having some child free time.

Truly hope that you will find a cruise to enjoy with your kids and family.

However, I don't think you can expect or blame RC for not providing free babysitting service. For generations families have been cruising and vacationing without so many extras. Adventure Ocean is a great program for children over the age of 3. It is also provided "free of charge." Many passengers never use AO and yet don't expect a different program in return. I am sure insurance and liability have a hand in the decision.

On ships that have a nursery you are probably looking at a cost of one alcoholic drink per hour! Not expensive for some "child free time." Suggest booking where you will be happiest.

If you change your mind, the G category cabins on Oasis class (ocean view at the very front, decks 7-12 I believe) are great. The window slopes and you get extra floor space for that, it’s kind of wasted space but would be perfect for two pack and plays.

Carnival’s program currently suits your family? That is fantastic! Big cruiseline with many ships sailing from many ports, often a great prices. And in general more ship space is dedicated to cabins, so your family might be more comfortable in the cabin. It sounds perfect.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for RCI to compete with Carnival to provide free nursery care. Nursery care is labor intensive with liability issues. It is used by only a small fraction of cruisers; why shouldn’t those who use it pay for it? Though you do not wish to pay, apparently others are perfectly willing to pay hourly charge. In fact, there is enough demand that they limit the number of hours that can be reserved initially to allow more people the opportunity to use the service.

We had looked for some time, and had semi-planned a couple vacations where we would have my parents or my wife's parents take care of our two kids while we did a quick cruise somewhere. We have 2 kids - currently 4 years old, and just under 2 years old.

Finally pulled the trigger a few months ago and booked a 5 night on the Anthem to the Bahamas this coming June.

We looked into the same things - though my wife is extremely hesitant about even leaving our boys with someone on the ship for a few hours - so we figured it as just that: A Family Vacation - so we went with a ship that would have more than enough for our kids to do - so we could all have fun.

I AM bummed out we'll probably miss out on the Main Dining Room Experience - and getting to know our table mates, or having a quiet sit-down dinner, or a sushi making class, or late night cocktails... but our 4 year old is so excited - it'll just be a run of new experiences we didn't get before.

I can see waiting for another year for you as I'm not sure how much they will actually remember from it - but everyone has their own way of doing it. Whatever works for you is the best way.

This will be our first outing with more than just the two of us, and we went with the Junior Suite since it has a tub in the room, and a little more space (and double the crown & anchor points!)

We figured we'll take advantage of the 2 wine bottle allotment and enjoy some drinks on our balcony when the boys pass out for the day.

We didn’t start cruising with kids till my youngest was just shy of 4,

We have found either a JS that has a sleeper sofa or two normal balcony rooms right next to each other work great. Even with the extra space in the JS, it is a little tight and one bathroom is problematic at times. A lot of the ships have balcony dividers that open making for easy access between rooms and a nice size balcony.

We usually do whichever prices out cheaper.

Really like having a balcony to sit on when the kids go to sleep and generally to relax.

We book as soon as the itineraries come out so we can get the rooms we want.

Both of my girls (now 5 and 8) love adventure ocean. They go to most of the evening sessions and a day session or two during the day depending on what is going on.

Cruising has been great for the family. So nice having the buffet and other options like pizza for picky eaters as well.

We have stuck to the newer classes of ships so far as they have more for kids and mom and dad to do. Really liked Harmony and was surprised that it felt less crowded the Freedom most of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums