Airline

mrs.cog

Something most Americans do not know. If you fly an European airline (Austrian, Lufthansa, British Airways, etc) you are covered by very EU legislation that guarantees generous compensation for both your outbound and return flights for long delays and late cancellations.

On a US carrier (or non-European airline), EU legislation on compensation only covers you for the segment of your flights that departs the European Union.

Something most Americans do not know. If you fly an European airline (Austrian, Lufthansa, British Airways, etc) you are covered by very EU legislation that guarantees generous compensation for both your outbound and return flights for long delays and late cancellations...
People who have read this thread should be aware of this as I have mentioned this in Posts 5 and 23 above. I did use the wrong number; it is EU Regulation 261/2004. A 3 hour delay on a long haul (eg TransAtlantic) flight is worth 600 Euros - weather delays are excluded but mechanical delays are included. And yes, I have collected.

We're booked on Viking Rhine Amsterdam to Basel in July and booked our airfare through Viking due to "free airfare" incentive. We're on Air France. This morning we were very excited to see our e-ticket numbers pop up on My Viking Journey - but then I opened the Air France app and saw that they're on strike tomorrow and Thursday! So far the flight we'll be taking isn't cancelled or delayed today or tomorrow, and of course we're not flying out until July. But I wondered whether any of you have had experience with Air France going on strike? Fortunately we're booked for the 2-night Amsterdam pre-cruise extension, so if our flight is cancelled we should be able to fly in time not to miss the cruise, but having already had a tour of Greece in 2016 severely impacted by a strike by the Athens air traffic controllers, this possibility makes me nervous! Wondering whether we should change airlines (at extra cost).

I alluded to this in another thread. Air France routinely goes on strike for days or weeks! It may be the pilots, or the flight attendants, maybe the baggage handlers. One union goes, bam the airlines is down. Going on strike in France is a national pastime. Seems someone is always on strike. AF strikes has interrupted my plans on 3 occasions. None were pretty!

The sole advantage having your ticket through Viking is, they will get you home around the strike. You may not like the horrendous connections and layovers, but they will get you home!

I don’t fly AF anymore. An abomination. If you fly into CDG, consider TGV to your cruise port and avoid intra France or intra EU AF flights. That is a greater danger of cancellations than international flights.

.,,Wondering whether we should change airlines (at extra cost).
Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

I think Lufthansa unions have been without a contract for at least four years, and they have frequent “rolling work actions” to let the company know they haven’t forgotten. LH cancelled my flight Frankfurt to Johannesburg in 2015 at the last minute. Don’t change unless you have checked the status of the airline you are moving to.

If you fly into CDG, consider TGV to your cruise port and avoid intra France or intra EU AF flights. That is a greater danger of cancellations than international flights.

Keep an eye out for strikes on the railways too - SNCF staff are taking strike action over the next three months from this evening. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/02/france-mass-rail-strikes-macron-reforms-face-opposition

I was in France when there were airline strikes several years ago, the news made it clear that the strikes affected only 'domestic/European' flights. The transatlantic flights were exempted by the unions. This may be of some comfort. However, you must keep in close touch with Viking for updates. They will work hard to make your trip successful. They once sent me by private taxi to catch up with the tour after an airline delay.

Something most Americans do not know. If you fly an European airline (Austrian, Lufthansa, British Airways, etc) you are covered by very EU legislation that guarantees generous compensation for both your outbound and return flights for long delays and late cancellations.

On a US carrier (or non-European airline), EU legislation on compensation only covers you for the segment of your flights that departs the European Union.

People who have read this thread should be aware of this as I have mentioned this in Posts 5 and 23 above. I did use the wrong number; it is EU Regulation 261/2004. A 3 hour delay on a long haul (eg TransAtlantic) flight is worth 600 Euros - weather delays are excluded but mechanical delays are included. And yes, I have collected.

But you get a smaller luggage allowance and are subject to frequent strikes. I'll stay with Delta, thank you.

We've (so far) had good success with American. Air France was also good. Once we took Air Canada (Baltimore to Toronto to Barcelona) and the 10 hour layover in Toronto was not enough. Communications were poor unless you hung out by the podium and listened to what was going on.

Keep an eye out for strikes on the railways too - SNCF staff are taking strike action over the next three months from this evening. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/02/france-mass-rail-strikes-macron-reforms-face-opposition

I was in France when there were airline strikes several years ago, the news made it clear that the strikes affected only 'domestic/European' flights. The transatlantic flights were exempted by the unions. This may be of some comfort. However, you must keep in close touch with Viking for updates. They will work hard to make your trip successful. They once sent me by private taxi to catch up with the tour after an airline delay.

Thanks for the information!

I alluded to this in another thread. Air France routinely goes on strike for days or weeks! It may be the pilots, or the flight attendants, maybe the baggage handlers. One union goes, bam the airlines is down. Going on strike in France is a national pastime. Seems someone is always on strike. AF strikes has interrupted my plans on 3 occasions. None were pretty!

The sole advantage having your ticket through Viking is, they will get you home around the strike. You may not like the horrendous connections and layovers, but they will get you home!

I don’t fly AF anymore. An abomination. If you fly into CDG, consider TGV to your cruise port and avoid intra France or intra EU AF flights. That is a greater danger of cancellations than international flights.

Thanks!

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

I think Lufthansa unions have been without a contract for at least four years, and they have frequent “rolling work actions” to let the company know they haven’t forgotten. LH cancelled my flight Frankfurt to Johannesburg in 2015 at the last minute. Don’t change unless you have checked the status of the airline you are moving to.

Thank you. We’re going to stay put and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOT - Polish National line

and

Norwegian Air are two of my recent favorites .....

Just got an e-mail alert from Nor' of NYC to Madrid for $150 US

flew them Lauderdale to Oslo recently for similar cost

Booked for July, 2 in 'premium' for $1400 .....

I am a huge fan of Icelandair for the following reasons:

- Connections are in Reykjavik, a small airport so it is easily navigable and layovers are usually short

- Reykjavik is in the direct flight path from many US cities to Europe, so total flight duration is often shorter than other carriers.

- Passport control is in Reykjavik, so once you land in Europe, you can usually pick up your bags and go.

- Icelandair's Saga Class is similar to First Class for a US domestic flight. A roomy seat but no lie flat bed. The price is usually very good.

- Icelandair allows a layover in Reykjavik of up to 7 days for no additional charge. This can be a nice extension to your cruise.

I am a huge fan of Icelandair for the following reasons:

- Connections are in Reykjavik, a small airport so it is easily navigable and layovers are usually short...

I’ll second this. ESPECIALLY if you are flying to a smaller Scandinavian airport like Bergan flight time is shortest, price is half, okay in steerage you have to buy food, but service is no worse than the rest, leg room generally better and you get to see some Icelandic movies that I doubt you’ll likely to see elsewhere. KFL has a great duty free store and don’t forget to check out the free video theatre in the departure area.