AARP gift cards

tiwi

I had the same issue but somebody here helped me figure it out.

Google AARP Rewards for Good and create an account. You will notice you have some points. A certain number of points are required to purchase gift cards. You can earn more points by taking the quizzes on the site. They are quick and painless.

You'll want to find the "View the Rewards Catalog" link. From there, you can purchase the cards. Right now I think you can buy 5 cards every 7 days.

Don't be surprised if all the gift cards, specifically the electronic (e-gift cards) are gone.

Unfortunately way too many people now about the AARP program, take the quizzes and buy the gift cards causing a sell out. They seem to re-stock the cards pretty quickly though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for clarification. Just now purchased 5 $100 Gift cards from AARP for $450. Didn't have to do any quizzes , so not sure why that is mentioned.

I had the same issue but somebody here helped me figure it out.

Google AARP Rewards for Good and create an account. You will notice you have some points. A certain number of points are required to purchase gift cards. You can earn more points by taking the quizzes on the site. They are quick and painless.

You'll want to find the "View the Rewards Catalog" link. From there, you can purchase the cards. Right now I think you can buy 5 cards every 7 days.

Thanks for the info! I've been an AARP member since my husband turned 50 (7 years) and never knew about this benefit! I already had 6000 or so points when I logged in as you suggested -- not sure where they came from but it was enough for me to buy a $500 Carnival gift card at a 10% discount ($50 savings). Took me only a few minutes to complete several quizzes and get enough points to buy a second $500 gift card. So with just half an hour or so of effort I saved $100 on my upcoming cruise. Final payment is due in just a few weeks so those two gift cards will come in handy. Thanks again!

BTW -- purchasing these gift cards would be a good way to spread out your payments if that is something that helps you manage the expense. Do a few quizzes and buy one or two $100 gift cards a month -- and before you know it you have enough to pay for the cruise!

I love Cruise Critic because I learn tips like this.

Thanks for the info! I've been an AARP member since my husband turned 50 (7 years) and never knew about this benefit! I already had 6000 or so points when I logged in as you suggested -- not sure where they came from but it was enough for me to buy a $500 Carnival gift card at a 10% discount ($50 savings). Took me only a few minutes to complete several quizzes and get enough points to buy a second $500 gift card. So with just half an hour or so of effort I saved $100 on my upcoming cruise. Final payment is due in just a few weeks so those two gift cards will come in handy. Thanks again!

BTW -- purchasing these gift cards would be a good way to spread out your payments if that is something that helps you manage the expense. Do a few quizzes and buy one or two $100 gift cards a month -- and before you know it you have enough to pay for the cruise!

I love Cruise Critic because I learn tips like this.

Nowadays, you don't even have to be 50 to be a member and take advantage of the discount benefits. We just joined a few weeks ago for $12 for the first year. We've already used the membership to save over $130 on our car rental for our June cruise, $10 on the hotel the night before the cruise, and probably more if we stay in a hotel overnight while on the road there. It has saved us 12x the initial membership fee. Well worth $12, I'd say. :D And if we find that it's not worth it to us after the first year, we'll just cancel.

By the way, you don't have to be a member to use the Rewards for Good program to buy the discount gift cards, but if you are one, you get 50% more points when you take quizzes and such. So if you're a member, be sure to login using that account. As far as I can tell, they don't seem to give you 50% more points for the email promo codes, though. I've contacted them via email to ask them about that, but I keep getting automated, canned responses.

Here's the main AARP gift card thread. The cards have been available for quite some time, which is a bit unusual, but when they run out, someone usually posts in that thread when they're available. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2208976