Price gouging??

I work in the hotel industry and price gouging is very specifically defined. It has to be a very particular situation to be considered price gouging most the time a crisis or act of g-d. Otherwise, the provider (at least in the hotel industry) has to provide a range of pricing for the product and cannot go above that. For example, my hotel charges up to $999 for a hotel room on the most highly rated night of any given year, it doesn't happen frequently (or almost ever) but it has happened. This rate is posted in every room therefore anything higher than that is considered gouging.

During hurricane Irma when I worked in Orlando, we were accused of price gouging hundred of times even though we were selling at one of the lowest rates in hotel history and were waiving all pet and resort fees. It's just a matter of perception, people love to use the term "price gouging" as an excuse or a threat when something is typically more expensive then normal or more than they are wanting to pay. The fact is, the world revolves around supply and demand and if there is limited availability on that ship they are going to charge a higher rate than typical.

I don't believe the majesty of the seas 4 day cruise our of Florida is worth what they charge but people pay and it meets the demand.

Just my take on price-gouging.

I work in the hotel industry and price gouging is very specifically defined. It has to be a very particular situation to be considered price gouging most the time a crisis or act of g-d. Otherwise, the provider (at least in the hotel industry) has to provide a range of pricing for the product and cannot go above that. For example, my hotel charges up to $999 for a hotel room on the most highly rated night of any given year, it doesn't happen frequently (or almost ever) but it has happened. This rate is posted in every room therefore anything higher than that is considered gouging.

During hurricane Irma when I worked in Orlando, we were accused of price gouging hundred of times even though we were selling at one of the lowest rates in hotel history and were waiving all pet and resort fees. It's just a matter of perception, people love to use the term "price gouging" as an excuse or a threat when something is typically more expensive then normal or more than they are wanting to pay. The fact is, the world revolves around supply and demand and if there is limited availability on that ship they are going to charge a higher rate than typical.

I don't believe the majesty of the seas 4 day cruise our of Florida is worth what they charge but people pay and it meets the demand.

Just my take on price-gouging.

Thank you. It's always a bit funny when folks come on CC and throw out terms like "price gouging" and "bait and switch" without knowing what they really mean.

Thank you. It's always a bit funny when folks come on CC and throw out terms like "price gouging" and "bait and switch" without knowing what they really mean.

I think it's a bit funny when someone is not impacted by a situation has no idea what happened.

RCI canceled a cruise knowing there were no comparable class cabins on the only cruise offered as a replacement. A very condescending agent told me how fortunate I was that RCI was so generous to give us $400 OBC for a different cruise that cost $6,000 for the same cabin I reserved at $2,500.

You may not think it's price gouging but I do.

I think it's a bit funny when someone is not impacted by a situation has no idea what happened.

RCI canceled a cruise knowing there were no comparable class cabins on the only cruise offered as a replacement. A very condescending agent told me how fortunate I was that RCI was so generous to give us $400 OBC for a different cruise that cost $6,000 for the same cabin I reserved at $2,500.

It is not price gouging unless you can show they raised the price due to the cancellation. This is simply supply and demand. You are getting a full refund in the cruise you booked, making you whole.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

It is not price gouging unless you can show they raised the price due to the cancellation. This is simply supply and demand. You are getting a full refund in the cruise you booked, making you whole.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

We aren't going to agree on this. There is nothing simple about it. I have 211 nights on RCI over 14 years, 6 cruises booked, and I'm D+. You have until March 27th to make up your mind, we were told. LOL

I booked a cruise from Rome to San Juan in a GS and will end up with nothing. No OBC, no FCC, nothing.

It's time for me to move on. Have a great day and enjoy your future cruises.

We aren't going to agree on this. There is nothing simple about it. I have 211 nights on RCI over 14 years, 6 cruises booked, and I'm D+. You have until March 27th to make up your mind, we were told. LOL

I booked a cruise from Rome to San Juan in a GS and will end up with nothing. No OBC, no FCC, nothing.

There's nothing to agree or disagree on. Your situation was not price gauging. You're letting your emotions get in the way of your logic, and by spouting off your cruise "stats," the reek of entitlement is so strong it's nauseating.

There's nothing to agree or disagree on. Your situation was not price gauging. You're letting your emotions get in the way of your logic, and by spouting off your cruise "stats," the reek of entitlement is so strong it's nauseating.

Have a great day!

I couldn't resist since more than once you have been nauseated by entailment.

Yet another example.

"When I was in college, I was a bartender at a hotel that had a lot of international guests. You'd be surprised at how many seasoned travelers from overseas "play dumb" and act like they don't know how tipping in America works. We'd have repeat guests who knew damn well how the system worked, but would act oblivious to try to save a few bucks. Fortunately, management allowed me to use the 18% "auto gratuity" button on the register for guests like that."

Maybe this poster just wasn't a good bartender?

Have a great day!

Poor customer service and rude employees are not price gouging. It doesn't matter if it's your first cruise or if you are a Pinnacle Plus and have over 1 million points.

What happened may have been bad customer service, but it isn't price gouging. "Price gouging" is a legal term which is a crime in many states, Florida for example.

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/5D2710E379EAD6BC85256F03006AA2C5

"1. What is Price Gouging?

Florida Statute 501.160 states that during a state of emergency, it is unlawful to sell, lease, offer to sell, or offer for lease essential commodities, dwelling units, or self-storage facilities for an amount that grossly exceeds the average price for that commodity during the 30 days before the declaration of the state of emergency, unless the seller can justify the price by showing increases in its prices or market trends. Examples of necessary commodities are food, ice, gas, and lumber."

Not trying to say it doesn't suck to have a cruise cancelled with no similarly priced alternatives, but just like when folks come on here to claim "bait and switch", or "fraud", or "deceptive advertising", calling it something that has pretty clear legal definitions doesn't make it so.