Doctors Cave Beach Montego Bay

Raxter54

DW and I are looking for a beach day in Montego Bay. How busy is Doctors Cave Beach on a normal day? We'll be there on the Carnival Dream, and there will be one other ship in port with us. Would it be very crowded? Are there vendors to rent chairs/umbrellas from? Restaurants available for a lunch? Are there many beach vendors trying to sell you things while your relaxing on the beach? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We loved drs cave beach! there was plenty room and they didn't have vendors, only 1 guy selling conch shells. there are some water toys like trampoline etc. small price for admission. Would go back in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We were there a while back, in 2006. On the day we were there the beach was beautiful. Soft white sand and no seaweed. Just like Koolbeans, we had a guy selling Conch shells. He came out of the water and held up a conch and told us he just found it and would sell it to us cheap. We almost couldn't help laughing as the orange price sticker from where it was sold was still on the shell. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The beach is beautiful, very nice facilities and lots of restaurants nearby. We used a local company to take us there dont remember the exact cost, and yes it does get crowded with other persons from the same cruise or if other ships are in port. Company we used was Globe trotter Adventure tours.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, Erikup said:

Anyone know typical taxi fare from port to DC beach? We're planning to go on our own (vs a purchased excursion) but I would love to know what is a typical taxi fare there so we don't get ripped off (and can plan for cash).

Thanks!

7-8 USD per person, one way

• Like 1

When we were at DCB it was Christmas time and it was uncrowded when we got there but as the day went on it got very crowded. But we just walked down the beach to the right and there were lots of open spaces. Our taxi cost us more going than coming back-about $4-5 one way and $7-8 the other.

Wife asked me to check, any massage vendors on the beach? We looked at the price for a massage on the ship ($200 for couples massage) and I told her she could go get hers and I would take $100 to the bar and be plenty relaxed. We stayed in Costa Rica a few years ago (non cruise) and there were people carrying portable massage tables and $40/hr. Gave me a good hour of surfing uninterrupted. 

We are on Liberty of the Seas docking in Falmouth. How far is this beach from there? Taxi cost from the port?

I didn't see anyone mention are there chairs and umbrellas for rent?

Thanks for the info!

Ok able to look most of this info up. Yes they have umbrellas and chairs for rent. It is 20 miles away and a 30 minute drive (google maps) but still can't seem to find an answer to cost for taxi. Also if taxis would be easy to get to go back to port in Falmouth when ready to leave

I can’t remember the exact cost of taxi but there was a group of us from the ship that rented a taxi van to go together. I’m guessing maybe $10/pp. we went in 2016 and I’d go back if ever in MoBay again. 

I liked that vendors werent allowed on the beach.  Some people were approached in the water, security yelled for them to leave. 

• 2 weeks later...

This beach is very highly recommended. Safe and great for kids and families too.  The cab from the Mo Bay terminal is 7 per person each way, and very safe.  The beach is beautiful and safe.  You can rent chairs (6 dollars) ad umbrellas (5 dollars) and they set them up for you.  There is beach service for drinks and food, and restrooms and changing rooms.  Also a lifeguard on duty.  Kids can bring their mask and snorkels and snorkel right off the beach.  We loved it here and it was a great day.  When ready to go back to the ship you can catch a taxi right outside the entrance to take you back.  Not bothered by vendors. and felft very safe.  no worries at all!!!!! The beach was just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...