Luggage check in before flight at FLL

BillyBoat

After an upcoming cruise my flight home is at 11:15 a.m. (Delta) Because of the 11:15 a.m. departure I cannot use EZ Check. (Too bad for me) My question is, How early can I check in my luggage in at the Delta desk ? ( There are no later flights available ) If I get to FLL early, will I have to babysit my luggage until a certain time ?

I will call Delta at FLL if I have to, but I'll wager someone here knows the answer !

Thank you in advance,

Billy

After an upcoming cruise my flight home is at 11:15 a.m. (Delta) Because of the 11:15 a.m. departure I cannot use EZ Check. (Too bad for me) My question is, How early can I check in my luggage in at the Delta desk ? ( There are no later flights available ) If I get to FLL early, will I have to babysit my luggage until a certain time ?

I will call Delta at FLL if I have to, but I'll wager someone here knows the answer !

Thank you in advance,

Billy

Our experience with Delta at FLL is 3 hours before your flight. They have been pretty firm with us on that timing. If you have status with them you might have better luck but I don't think they have the space or capability there to handle a lot of baggage.

I watched a family deal with this TODAY at FLL. They tried to check in early and were told to come back 3 hours before flight time....and I was recovering from a red eye and waiting for the other half of my cabin to arrive

Is that for curbside check in or at the counter?

Is this delta or all planes? We don't fly til 2:55 the earliest direct flight I could get and they keep bumping back departure

The last time I had a later (about 4:30) flight out of FLL on United, they also didn't accept checked bags until about 3 hours before flight time. It's a pain. As of a couple years ago, there was a room at the airport (lower level in baggage claim area) where bags could be stored for a few hours for a small charge, but I never used it.

I have a flight at about that same time again in May, though not by choice! I picked 12:15, but that one was canceled and 4:30 was the only available direct flight. :(

Edited by Joanne G.

It was at the counter on Delta. And there is still a sign up advertising the luggage storage room, although I have no personal experience with using it.

Also, any employee who tells you that there is only one baggage claim area at FLL is WRONG. There is one in each terminal. Fortunately I figured that out before the other half was off their plane. I flew in on Delta, and specifically asked if this was the right baggage claim area for Jet Blue. Three different employees assured me that it was, and all 3 were wrong. We flew in from different cities on different airlines with the plan to meet at her baggage check area. It ultimately worked. And for anyone who cares, the wifi at FLL is good. The wifi at ATL is currently down.

Next lesson--if booked with EZ Air, unless you need a specific seat assignment, do not choose one. If you choose, without paying upgrade fees there may be very few seats shown as available and they are all at the rear of the plane. If you show up at the airport without a seat assignment, they'll put you in whatever is available. In my case, this was "comfort plus" at no additional fee. I was scheduled for a 3 hour layover in ATL, but asked a friendly gate agent if there was anything sooner to FLL. He put me on standby for an earlier flight, which was how I nailed the better seat location and leg room. It did require a quick move the length of the terminal (A6 to A 33), so if mobility challenged, this won't work But it got me out of the crowd and no internet at ATL into the much quieter waiting area at FLL with internet, so I'm happy. Also, seriously question whether to do a "red eye" after a certain age. I'm exhausted and so glad to have a full day at the hotel before cruising.

I've gone with no seat assignment before, but only when the Delta site said assignments not available. Every time it has landed me in Comfort Plus. That could be because I'm flying as a single...or it could be because I treated the agent decently after the person ahead of me chewed her out. I don't question getting a better seat.

Edited by moki'smommy

As of a couple years ago, there was a room at the airport (lower level in baggage claim area) where bags could be stored for a few hours for a small charge, but I never used it.

It was at the counter on Delta. And there is still a sign up advertising the luggage storage room' date=' although I have no personal experience with using it.

[/quote']

Each terminal has a Bags to Go (http://www.bagstogo.net) storage facility. For more information about FLL check out http://www.broward.org/airport/Pages/Default.aspx.

We were fortunate to be able to check our luggage in about 9 am for a 1pm Delta flight, from FLL to Cardiff, Wales, via Amsterdam, last Easter.

Disembarked, grabbed taxi straight to airport, checked in. Through Security/TSA . Long wait at gate.