Booking a Winter Cruise with Young Kids

hg0606

Hey all,

I have really enjoyed this forum and the vast amount of information and tips everyone is able to provide. I am currently considering booking another cruise with Carnival. This would be our first one bringing ours girls, 3 and 4 with us. We were looking at a 5 day January cruise that leaves from Charleston. The only big concern I have right now for that time of year booking is that I'm thinking it may be too cold to do any water activities with the girls. Could anyone give advice or speak about their experiences with cruises in January? I appreciate all the feedback in advance!

Hey all,

I have really enjoyed this forum and the vast amount of information and tips everyone is able to provide. I am currently considering booking another cruise with Carnival. This would be our first one bringing ours girls, 3 and 4 with us. We were looking at a 5 day January cruise that leaves from Charleston. The only big concern I have right now for that time of year booking is that I'm thinking it may be too cold to do any water activities with the girls. Could anyone give advice or speak about their experiences with cruises in January? I appreciate all the feedback in advance!

It really depends on the ports of call. I've always found the water in the pools on ships a bit chilly but doesn't seem to bother kids. In January the water in the Bahamas will be chilly (at least for this Minnesotan) but if you get further south in the Caribbean or Mexico it is wonderfully warm.

It can go either way; but also partly depends on where you live. I live in the Midwest and by Jan am used to the cold. Ive cruises in dec/Jan 3 times to the Caribbean. On one of the cruises there were some cooler days; but we ended up in the water at some point on every cruise and found it comfortable. Now, I’ve also ran into people on those cruises that felt it was too cold to swim. I suspect if you aren’t coming from a cold weather state, your perception of the air/water temp will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I typically cruise December and Early January and have always enjoyed snorkeling, swimming in the waters of the Caribbean. I too come from a colder region, Buffalo NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cruise in December, January, and February. I live in Louisiana, but I crave cold weather. Summer in Louisiana sucks. When it is cool(41°F - 55°F), I am in a tshirt and jeans while almost everyone around me is bundled up. It has to get down to 35°F - 40°F before I put a jacket on.

I would have no problems swimming in January. I have always loved being in the water, no matter the temperature.

I am assuming you're choosing to sail out of Charleston since it's drive able for you. I would wait till April, when you can still get reasonably priced cruises or better yet, wait until May when the Sunshine sails out of there. Much better ship than the Ecstasy. April and beyond is much better weather for the young girls. In January, I would want to go to southern caribbean.

It is completely weather dependent. DH and I took a 4 day from Miami in mid-January. The east coast was under a cold snap and the high in Miami was 63 degrees - Key West was 70 when we arrived and Cozumel had a high of 74. The water was warm in Cozumel, but when you got out, it was FREEZING.

Take this weekend; it is April and they are calling for snow flurries into northern NC!

Do not book this cruise, planning on being able to use the water facilities...do book the cruise looking for a fun family get away!

Thanks everyone! Now we are in a toss up for Jan or April, mostly will depend on our work schedule. I'm 100% that my kids would have fun regardless, we usually take a trip to the beach during the winter and the girls just love playing in the sand. We have a boat that they have taken them on a few times and love it so I would be excited to see their reaction to a cruise ship! I appreciate all the feedback. We are choosing Charleston for sure because of proximity with driving. I think once they get a few more years on them I won't mind driving/flying down to Florida for some more extensive ports.

I remember on one of our cruises to St Croix, the weather was in the mid 70's. We were all in shorts and t's and sweating. Our cab driver apologized for it being so cold. He said he had to get up and turn his furnace on the night before. So, to the locals, it may be cold but to Northerners, it's warm to hot.

I remember on one of our cruises to St Croix, the weather was in the mid 70's. We were all in shorts and t's and sweating. Our cab driver apologized for it being so cold. He said he had to get up and turn his furnace on the night before. So, to the locals, it may be cold but to Northerners, it's warm to hot.

Agreed, it is all about perspective! And it most certainly will be a toss up for January. We have sailed on cruises where it was great once we started hitting our ports and others were it was kind of cool, windy and just not that "lovely" weather we were looking for. But we were still in shorts and TShirts. Being from Michigan 65 is warm in January!

We went to Atlantis in the Bahamas once in January and we were in our bathing suits riding all the rides, and all the workers were in pants, shirts and jackets. Hubby said they probably thought we were all bat crap crazy!