Strategy to move rooms?

ericmcgovern

I looked around a bit for this, but couldn't find anything - apologies if this is in an obvious thread somewhere.

We just booked a cruise (7 day Costal out of SF on October 7th), and looks like the cruise is darn near sold out. We have 4 people in a room, so our choices are limited, but we ended up in one of 3 inside cabins left. I called Princess and they move us to a slightly better room, but still inside. The agent said to just keep checking to see if any balcony or mini-suite rooms open up (what I really want) - but is there a good strategy for this beyond checking every week or so?

When I called last night - they indicated they don't to wait lists. But problem solved, I just happened to check and a single mini-suite opened up! So I called and grabbed it.

Congratulations!!!

The do wait lists, you just talked to the wrong person. When you don't get an answer that you know is wrong, hang up and call back.

Congratulations!!!

The do wait lists, you just talked to the wrong person. When you don't get an answer that you know is wrong, hang up and call back.

Good to know - I will let our traveling group know - as they are in interior as well.

I know that cruise you are referring to ... if I am not mistaking, it is on the Grand.

We booked the Sept 23rd sailing when it was first released and it booked up very quickly. It was completely sold out early in the game but now I see there are a few inside cabins available and a handful of oceanview cabins that opened back up as well.

The cruise you are booked on originally was scheduled to go south but due to the popularity of the one listed for Sept 23rd, they adjusted the itinerary for Oct 7th ... probably to take the overflow of the earlier one that booked up so quickly. Why did this itinerary become so popular and in turn, got very expensive? Even the Sept 30th sailing for those that wanted to do a B2B to include the north and south itineraries along the Pacific Coast went way up in price. I guess it is just a new itinerary and we are starved for those out here in SF.

Either way, I think you might see some movement as the final payment date approaches. I don't see the pricing for a balcony being on your side, though. However, we've been on sailings that were completely sold out in the past and then they do have some cabins open up as the sail date gets nearer.

I know that cruise you are referring to ... if I am not mistaking, it is on the Grand.

We booked the Sept 23rd sailing when it was first released and it booked up very quickly. It was completely sold out early in the game but now I see there are a few inside cabins available and a handful of oceanview cabins that opened back up as well.

Yep, it is in the Grand - I didn't realize they changed the itinerary around, but that is what got us to book. Not sure if Fleet Week is adding to the popularity, but we will be able to watch the Blue Angels off the deck of the Grand, which won't be docked too far from show center.

If you are calling/checking.... do it early morning. When I was planning last minute cruises... I noticed the prices/availability was better in the morning compared to the evening.

Yep, it is in the Grand - I didn't realize they changed the itinerary around, but that is what got us to book. Not sure if Fleet Week is adding to the popularity, but we will be able to watch the Blue Angels off the deck of the Grand, which won't be docked too far from show center.

That will be awesome to enjoy all the fleet week festivities. It might make for a very crowded embarkation experience but will be well worth it when onboard! Free shows ... yay!! Enjoy