Rotterdam inspection

kktexas

If OP is trying now to verify the reliability of their report, interesing they did not do so before making the original post.

The actual physical inspection of 'whole ship', takes varying amount of time but it is my impression from having been aboard twice when an HAL ship was being inspected Depending on lots of variables, including how many personel are doing the work, how many deficiencies are cited,. keep in mind, the inspection is far more than just main galley. It is taco bar, Lido, Lido galley, hand wash sinks, all bars, alternative restaurants, , burger bar, restrooms , spa and hot tubs, salon, food storage etc etc etc storage of cleaning supplies and maintenance articles.

Personally, the more I think about the subject of this thread, the less I think it true and now even wonderr ifRoterdam was even inspected at all., I am going to go to the CDC site to see when she was last inspdcted, not that it necessarily means anything... the time between now and last inspection but I am curious.. USPH

I already did this for you - read the VSP link in my post. She got a 99 out of 100 - last Fall 2017.

I even did the tour of the kitchen galley and couldn't see a thing that popped out as unsanitary! I'm no inspector, but it was certainly ten times cleaner than my own kitchen! ;)

LOL - if you read any of my posts on this thread, it should be obvious my husband and I have been inspectors (and in his case, FDA Food Code co-author and code trainer).

We were on the two week cruise departing on 3/11. As usual, we did what we call our "busman's holiday" and did the galley tour. Old habits die hard and we check out the temperature charts on refrigerators and freezers as we pass by, look for vermin droppings in out of the way areas, and cleanliness of equipment and food contact surfaces. We did not see anything that raised our eyebrows.

We did notice several changes (for the better) in equipment since our last cruise on the Rotterdam in January 2017 and loved the two new passenger handwashing stations in the Lido. Too bad not more passengers made use of them.

LOL - if you read any of my posts on this thread, it should be obvious my husband and I have been inspectors (and in his case, FDA Food Code co-author and code trainer).

We were on the two week cruise departing on 3/11. As usual, we did what we call our "busman's holiday" and did the galley tour. Old habits die hard and we check out the temperature charts on refrigerators and freezers as we pass by, look for vermin droppings in out of the way areas, and cleanliness of equipment and food contact surfaces. We did not see anything that raised our eyebrows.

While, of course, I know how serious these inspections are, I have to admi t I was

LOL reading you post.

It is a WONDEFU post But . Exec Chef, likely was looking for a place to hide, IF, IF< he reco gnized one ( or both);)of you. ] If he has been on ships calling in U.S for long ., there is a chance one or both of you had 'met him' in the past. :)

We did notice several changes (for the better) in equipment since our last cruise on the Rotterdam in January 2017 and loved the two new passenger handwashing stations in the Lido. Too bad not more passengers made use of them.

Veendam has those hand wash machines, also and they are great but it appears they are under used.

I see in the sail7seas post that quoted my previous post a statement about the exec chef looking for a place to hide if he recognized us.

This actually happened in 2011 on a cruise on the Azamara Journey. We were the front portion of the line waiting for the galley tour. Standing against the wall was the hotel director, the cruise director and the Executive Chef.

The chef was casually looking at the line of passengers and then he saw my husband. His eyes widened in surprise and he immediately came over to us and said to DH, "I remember you. You were in charge of the training course I took for certification."

My husband asked when and where he had taken the course and realized it was the last course my husband had organized and spoke at before retiring.

It was funny; they had several people walking about 15 feet behind us and if we stopped to look at anything (like the temperature charts, an area of the floor, or equipment), they immediately rushed to that spot after we moved on.

At the end of the tour, the chef and hotel director made of point of asking him if he had any comment or recommendations.

They also obviously spread the word to all food managers on the ship because the next time we entered the buffet, the head of the buffet rushed over to greet us and told DH to let him know if there were any concerns or recommendations.

I see in the sail7seas post that quoted my previous post a statement about the exec chef looking for a place to hide if he recognized us.

This actually happened in 2011 on a cruise on the Azamara Journey. We were the front portion of the line waiting for the galley tour. Standing against the wall was the hotel director, the cruise director and the Executive Chef.

The chef was casually looking at the line of passengers and then he saw my husband. His eyes widened in surprise and he immediately came over to us and said to DH, "I remember you. You were in charge of the training course I took for certification."

My husband asked when and where he had taken the course and realized it was the last course my husband had organized and spoke at before retiring.

It was funny; they had several people walking about 15 feet behind us and if we stopped to look at anything (like the temperature charts, an area of the floor, or equipment), they immediately rushed to that spot after we moved on.

At the end of the tour, the chef and hotel director made of point of asking him if he had any comment or recommendation

They also obviously spread the word to all food managers on the ship because the next time we entered the buffet, the head of the buffet rushed over to greet us and told DH to let him know if there were any concerns or recommendations.

What a fun and fabulous story. Thanks for sharing it with us. What Hoot, it occured to me you and/or your Dh might be recognized . A chef trying to hide under his toque. :D No question about it but you two became 'instant VIP's to all involved infood service and sanitation.

Curious- how long do the inspections take? How long are inspectors on board? Just saw the cost- $11,960 per inspection- wow!

The USPH inspections generally take 8-10 hours, or the entire time the ship is in port, whichever is less, since the inspectors are required to "not interfere with the commercial operation of the vessel", meaning they can't cause a delay just for the inspection. The inspections cover far more than food safety, going into potable water sanitation, pool sanitation, medical center operation, kids center operations, laundry, HVAC, lighting, housekeeping operations in both passenger and crew areas, hazardous chemical procedures, and pest control. Things like potable water inspections include checking the records kept by the ship of the testing or renewal of the back flow preventers fitted on the water lines to each toilet and each shower, as well as hundreds of other locations around the ship, which must be tested annually. Also, the records of when the shower heads are taken off and soaked in chlorine to sanitize them (semi-annually) are checked. 2-3 inspectors need a full 8 hours to do a full inspection. It is also a requirement that a meal service be performed during the inspection, so the inspectors can see if the galley and wait staff are actually following the proper procedures during the stress of a meal service, or whether they are merely taught to say the right thing when questioned.

The alternative to having USPH inspections based on the VSP, would be to have what the USPH does for foreign cargo ships entering the US, go onboard and inspect the ship, question the crew and any passengers about their health, and then allow people off the ship, each and every time the ship enters a US port from a foreign port. Imagine disembarkation each week if that were to be done. The cost of the inspection is peanuts compared to the cost of this.

I heard the Rotterdam failed it’s United States Public Health (USPH) inspection yesterday. Anyone know if this is true? It’s too early to be posted on CDC website. Very surprising, if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read the OP's post as trying to obtain more information, not trying to start a rumour or provide misinformation.

If I remember correctly he usually posts about inspections after they happen. I can see him posting about corrective actions but there isn't any blog about it.

He normally does as inspections cause so much work for the staff. No mention of it on the Key West day or the next day at sea.

Yesterday, I checked the "Green Sheet" on the CDC website (it gives the most recent inspections and the score). The latest inspections for any ship was the third week in March.

If any inspection occurred on April 9 (and I doubt one did as the Rotterdam is leaving for Europe today), it may be several more weeks before any inspections done the week of April 9 appears on the Green Sheet.

i see they found one fly in the officer's bar. Sounds like cnn breaking news stuff :-)

GASP , A FLY ! , Wowzie,

So much for the port worker as a good source, This is Headline, run for shelter news. :D :D

[/b]

Thanks for the updates.

[/b]