Alcohol off ship into ports?

Mom7934

I cruised last month and took bottles of beer (most bartenders were willing to not open if asked) in soft sided cooler as well as a bottle of prosecco (for mimosas) off the boat. Did this in Grand Turk, St Maarten and St Kitts. No issues.

This is my first time purchasing Cheers out of all my Carnival cruises and I plan on making FULL use of it. If I see that I'm not going to hit my 15th drink mark before I head bed, then I will order my unopened beers (hopefully I get them unopened) take them to my cabin and save them for the next day. I will have a small cooler in my cabin with ice keeping them cold and I will enjoy them In my balcony the next day. I get a 15 drink limit and rest assured I will get my 15 drinks.

Importing alcohol into the Bahamas without paying any applicable taxes is alright?

importing alcohol?

Alcoholic beverages are the subject under discussion.

Right on! Laws are for other people. :rolleyes:

What specific law are you talking about? I never never been through customs at any Caribbean port.

Never thought I’d be posting a “high and mighty, judgmental” post like this - but come on! Are you being cheap? What’s your end game here? Saving what exactly? You’re going on vacation, visiting countries where some can only dream of doing the same. Inject some money into the local economy, buy a few drinks, and enjoy yourself. There is no need to smuggle alcohol off the ship. What’s next? Toilet paper? You pay for that too. I know people take food off for port days...that’s ridiculous too. I’m not talking about a few crackers or fruit or something, but essentially meals for the day, for the entire family.

If you feel this strongly about getting your money’s worth, stay on board, enjoy the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just on Vista and had booked a private excursion in Grand Cayman that was BYOB. I was not sure if we would find cold beer to purchase so that morning I did get a couple of beers from the Lido and they did not open them. As it turned out there was a liquor store right next to the meeting place that sold cold beer so we got a six pack to take on the excursion for around $11. We had no problems taking the beer off the ship but we normally don't bother as we like to try the local beer in port.

Cheers program=AOLCOHOL, and water, soda, PowerAde, why are they different? Because if the higher mark up on beer?

Laws are made to be broken and I'm a rebel.

I cruised last month and took bottles of beer (most bartenders were willing to not open if asked) in soft sided cooler as well as a bottle of prosecco (for mimosas) off the boat. Did this in Grand Turk, St Maarten and St Kitts. No issues.

AWESOME, unless you drinking out of the bottle and acting like an @$$ as you walk off the ship into port, what's the big deal?

This is my first time purchasing Cheers out of all my Carnival cruises and I plan on making FULL use of it. If I see that I'm not going to hit my 15th drink mark before I head bed, then I will order my unopened beers (hopefully I get them unopened) take them to my cabin and save them for the next day. I will have a small cooler in my cabin with ice keeping them cold and I will enjoy them In my balcony the next day. I get a 15 drink limit and rest assured I will get my 15 drinks.

I am with you 100% as I am doing the same. Others would rather we pour our 15 drinks over the balcony than take them back to the room, we did pay for them, or share them with friends and strangers, it is the so called FUN SHIP isn't it?

Also, if you get the larger neck bottles they twist off like a cap on a soda bottle so you can bring a few caps from home, grab some off the bar or ask the bartender for some used caps, problem solved!!

Edited by LongHill44

Importing alcohol into the Bahamas without paying any applicable taxes is alright?

I'm wondering what laws you are referring to? And bear in mind that a law in one port may not apply to any other port.

But the bigger point relates to the idea of "smuggling" drinks off the ship. I've seen several people using this term, but I don't think the people who are asking about it are hiding beers in their swim trunks. They are talking about openly carrying off a cooler with beverages in it. I've seen people mention doing this on other threads. And not just alcohol, but bottled water or anything else included in the Cheers package.

So the morality police might just want to take a deep breath. I'm not sure that anyone here is purposely trying to cheat Carnival out of a beer. Just asking a question.

Cheers!

Never thought I’d be posting a “high and mighty, judgmental” post like this - but come on! Are you being cheap? What’s your end game here? Saving what exactly? You’re going on vacation, visiting countries where some can only dream of doing the same. Inject some money into the local economy, buy a few drinks, and enjoy yourself. There is no need to smuggle alcohol off the ship. What’s next? Toilet paper? You pay for that too. I know people take food off for port days...that’s ridiculous too. I’m not talking about a few crackers or fruit or something, but essentially meals for the day, for the entire family.

If you feel this strongly about getting your money’s worth, stay on board, enjoy the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then why did you do it? The OP asked a simple question; Is it allowed? A simple answer; Yes or No is all they asked for. Not a judgement on how they spend their money or calling them cheap.

Lighten up, they’re not “importing” alcohol. There are things that ARE allowed off the ship, like prepackaged snacks and bottles of water. I don’t see you preaching about not paying taxes on those things.

You’re quite good at the “high and mighty, judgmental” part. Are you sure you’ve never done it before? So what if someone’s being cheap, what’s it to you? People are allowed to take prepackaged snacks and water bottles off the ship, for example. Should they not because “some can only dream” of taking a cruise? Being able to cruise doesn’t mean everyone else has to spend as much as you do. Some of us like to save money where we can. I’m not saying I’d take alcohol off the ship, but there’s nothing wrong with trying to save money. It’s not up to you to decide how others spend their money on their vacation.

Beer in port is generally a lot less expensive that on the ship. Just sayin....

Sure is in Mexico, I was buying beer for $.75 a 12oz bottle. Although the price was right I limited myself, because I did not want to end up in a Mexico jail....LoL:eek:

I'm trying to understand your point of view, not be judgemental, so please bear with me.

I have seen several thoughts on Cheers:

1. "I know I will likely spend more with Cheers, but it's worth it to not have a bill at the end." I can understand this approach, but not what I would choose.

2. "We would spend the same or more without Cheers." Absolutely makes sense to purchase.

3. "Since they allow 15 drinks I must get 15 drinks." I struggle with this one: if you want that many drinks, fine; I even get your approach of getting an extra one or two on a light drinking day to save for a heavy day. My confusion comes in the posts I've seen where passengers will buy a drink and dump it just to get the 15 or drink more than they want just to reach the limit. If there were no limit, would you get a drink every 5 minutes even if you weren't thirsty? if the limit was 50 would you make sure you got 50?