Purchasing Princess Travel Insurance at a later date

calliecat

If you decline Princess Travel Insurance at the time of booking, can you, at a later date, have it added?

Our cruise is still 200+ days out and we are just now 100% definite that we are going (to Australia) after checking with our work schedules and getting the ok.

I believe that you can add it, at least up to the final payment date.

However, before you purchase insurance thru Princess, you might want to look at purchasing privately. I was quite shocked at the price of insurance thru Princess on our recent cruise. Purchasing privately gave us more coverage at a much better price. The price of private insurance is based in part on the age of the cruisers, so that could make your rates significantly different from the rates thru Princess. The other thing to consider is that coverage thru a cruise line will typically cover only those things that you purchase thru the cruise line. For instance, if you plan to stay in the area before or after the cruise or if you purchase air on your own, you can choose to cover those things thru a private company while they would not be covered if you purchase thru the cruise line.

What she said!! (Moki's mommy)

I was shocked at what better coverage for less $$ I was able to get privately. And it covers the day you leave - airline travel, etc. - until the day you are back at home.

Check out the trip insurance board here on Cruise Critic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

If you decline Princess Travel Insurance at the time of booking, can you, at a later date, have it added?

Our cruise is still 200+ days out and we are just now 100% definite that we are going (to Australia) after checking with our work schedules and getting the ok.

You can add it up to final payment. We only use Princess insurance because it'd cheaper than buying from a local provider. We like the 100% cruise credit with the "Cancel for Any Reason". Locally I can get it for 70% and has to be for specific reason.

If you buy the insurance more than 2 or 3 weeks after booking, you will not have coverage for an pre-existing conditions.

There are travel agents who have policies that allow this to be purchased at final payment and cover pre-existing conditions. I also prefer private insurance as the coverage is much better.

If you buy the insurance more than 2 or 3 weeks after booking, you will not have coverage for an pre-existing conditions.

The Princess Insurance 60 day clause for pre-existing condition starts on the day you pay for the insurance. So if you book and then wait until final payment to pay, it starts then. Meaning if you get sick between booking and final payment and then later have to cancel for that reason you won't be covered.

We pay for our Princess Insurance at booking if we have not been ill for the previous 60 days so we know we'll be covered.

The private coverage that I buy includes coverage for pre-existing conditions if purchased within 21 days of the first payment on the vacation. If I don't buy it then, pre-existing coverage is available for a fee.

Bottom line--look at the coverage and the cost. For us, private is better.